The Dark Mod Forums

Converting .avi to .roq

Springheel

I'm trying to add some video to my mission. I've been looking for info on making .roqs for Doom3, but all the information I can find is about five years old now. Is Switchblade still the best program for doing this? Has anyone other than Goldcochobo tried adding .roqs to their missions yet?

You can also use ffmpeg to quite easily convert to RoQ (it has a few bug fixes that the last Switchblade wont have):

2. ffmpeg win32 latest repo builds
  3. extract ffmpeg.exe into the directory you want to work in
  4. go to that directory in command prompt
  5. > ffmpeg -i inputvid.avi -r 30 -s 256x256 outputname.roq

Adjust as needed for size and such.

Guess I could make a little script for DR to give you the options and such in a nice interface? (tho this wouldn't be included with the release)

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this is a headache.

I've got Switchblade, but before I can use it I need to convert my video to 512x512. The instructions recommended VirtualDub, but VirtualDub won't read .wmv files. So I used another program to convert my video to an .avi, but when opening it VirtualDub complained about something and then crashed whenever I tried to manipulate it.

Can anyone recommend a good program to prepare .wmv videos for use in Switchblade? Will ffmpeg convert them directly to .roq?

Spring, I'm using FormatFactory, and I'm quite happy with it. It's free, so just take a look. It should convert the WMV's to AVI's without a hassle.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

# ffmpeg win32 latest repo builds

Ok, I followed that link but I can't figure out which file is actually ffmpeg. The names aren't very helpful. git-N-28849-ga82cfad?? :)

I just downloaded the 7-zip (*.7z) file for "git-N-28849-ga82cfad" and it had an ffmpeg executable in it. So I imagine you can just look at the dates and choose the latest file with a 7z extension.

It also appears that this is a CLI only tool unless there's a frontend out there that I'm not aware of (I never even knew ffmpeg was available for Windows so what do I know...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Ok, I followed that link but I can't figure out which file is actually ffmpeg. The names aren't very helpful. git-N-28849-ga82cfad?? :)

Just grab the latest one and extract it somewhere nice, place the video in the same folder and navigate to it in command prompt.

Lets say we've put the video we want to convert(inputvid.wmv) along with ffmpeg.exe into C:\temp\

1. Start -> run -> cmd
  2. > cd C:\temp
  3. > ffmpeg -i inputvid.wmv -r 30 -s 256x256 outputname.roq

-r is the fps; iirc doom likes 30. -s is resolution you want, remember to keep it as a power of two and multiple of 8 if at all possible. Any other switches can be found in ffmpeg docs

I'll make a little script to give it an interface in DR next week, I've got a month of work-from-home time, should mean I can finish my tools or at least get them into the repos.

Grrr. Another roadblock. I get the following error: "Error while opening encoder for output streem #0.1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height."

I used the parameters you listed, except I put 512x512 for the dimensions. But I get the same error when trying 256x256 as well.

Indeed it did, thanks. It's processing now, though I'm getting a lot of "generated a frame too big" warnings. I hope they're not serious. Won't have time to test it until tomorrow.

Indeed it did, thanks. It's processing now, though I'm getting a lot of "generated a frame too big" warnings. I hope they're not serious. Won't have time to test it until tomorrow.

Bit odd, I transcoded a bunch of random small vids to roq a few days ago to test stuff, most seemed to be just fine, dont recall seeing any of those errors - tho it does like to give a lot of pointless output. Let me know if it works out ok tho!

Well, it does work. The resolution isn't great and the colours come out quite desaturated--nearly black and white, but it works.

Well, it does work. The resolution isn't great and the colours come out quite desaturated--nearly black and white, but it works.

Hmmm, the frame size might have been to do with the input colour space that you were using in the wmv, I'll have a think about it. Most likely just need to tell it to do a slightly indirect conversion. If you have an avi/mkv or some other format of the same vid it might be worth trying that as the source. The encoder itself is the same one that switchblade uses. You can also try playing it back in MPC or something, I know that doom3's roq stuff was completely replaced during dev and the guy still felt it wasn't great :)

If you feel like it and have the bw to burn you can upload it somewhere and pm me a link?

Bleh. I'm trying a different video now, and getting the same error as before, even when adding the -ar 22050 flag. <_<

Doh. I added the -ar tag at the very end; apparently it needs to go before the output name. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Can already see what you're talking about - really quite odd.

Will let you know what I find

Any ideas here, Serp? I'm going to be creating another one soon and would like to avoid the desaturated look if possible.