The Dark Mod Forums

Sir Taffsalot's mapping thread

Sir Taffsalot

Hey Sirtaff,

I can try looking into it more when I get home from work, but if its still busted you can always make the readables by hand. The readable editor wasn't in the first few versions of TDM, and the wiki still has the instructions on how to make them manually.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Christ that blows man, though not the exact same problem, my DR would crash on startup until I deleted the files in "C:\Users\Kvorning\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant".

Try moving them to another folder and see if it helps. I doubt it, but give it a shot. Just keep in mind, that it'll reset your customized setup.

Good luck man.

Please remain calm. Getting too emotional will cloud judgement and degrade problem-solving skills.

Nothing will go down the toilet as long as the .map files are safe and backuped.

Which version of DR?

I got 1.7.3 (Jan 6 2013). This version of DR will create the xdata folder if it does not exist. At least for me. I'm using winXP. I played with my readable editor and I could not get it crash. If you are using older version of DR, please upgrade.

Could it be that you are using Win7, and there is some kind of permission problem? DR does not have rights to write in that folder. Is your darkmod installation located somewhere in "program files"? Sometimes these folders can be protected against changes by programs. Try to use DR/readable editor in admin mode.

Alternatively, go to DR preferences/readable editor. Try to change it to write xdata into a custom folder somewhere any program could write anything. Then copy the xdata files you made into darkmod folders once you are done.

If these does not help, then please report exactly what you are doing to get it to crash. In this level of detail, please:

1) start DR

2) select readable

3) Select entity/readable editor

4) crash?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I change the brightness of the lamp_oil_wall_hanging_lit entity in DR? When I select it and press L to bring up light properties the whole window is greyed out and I cannot use it. Thanks.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I don't know if you can set the color the same way you can change the radius.

These entities have a "def_attach" key (you can see the inherited keys in the "enity" window by checking a checkbox) that specifies a light entity. You can either use this light directly (then you have to add the model yourself) or you could derive a new entity definition with changed values and "def_attach" this new one.

• Is "100 100 100" the default value? If I want to increase the radius do I increase the default value?
  • Using your suggested sparnargs and recomended values does nothing.

Dont know, depends on the entity in question.

All the above args do is reduce the light radius, see the attached image to see how to apply it.

post-496-0-12384600-1375042960_thumb.jpg

The option is to replace the light entity with a model and a separate light entity.

The attachments have names, in this case flame. You can find them in the inherited properties under name_attach. If you want to change the color of the light, too, the spawnarg is _color. So it would be

set _color on flame

If you want all hanging oil lamps to have the same changed radius, then it may be better to use an own entity definition:

entityDef light_taffsalot
{
 "inherit"		  "light_candleflame" //the old flame entity
 "light_radius"  "..."						 //insert desired radius here
}
entityDef atdm:lamp_oil_wall_taffsalot
{
 "inherit"		  "atdm:lamp_oil_wall_hanging_lit"
 "def_attach"   "light_taffsalot"
}

Now you have an own entity that looks like the original one, but with changed properties.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

OH, I made them into dds to save space. They are in DDS-folder.

If you have TGA files, you need to put the in the same path, minus the DDS-folder name.

So they need to be: guis/assets/game_maps

And then then gui file points to them like this:

map_of_1st_floor.gui:

windowDef Desktop
{
rect	  0,0,640,480
nocursor 1
windowDef background_map
{
 rect	  64,48, 512, 384
 background "guis/assets/game_maps/map_of_1st_floor"
 visible 1
}
// Required include for inventory map
#include "guis/readables/inventory_map.guicode"
}

If you make the maps into DDS, then the dds files are in

dds/guis/assets/game_maps

The gui file stays the same.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

You have to write your own definition for the maps. Here is the example of the groundfloor map in my Old Habits Rebuild:

entityDef atdm:oldhabitsgroundfloor
{
   "inherit"            "atdm:map_base"

"editor_usage"        "game map of terrain for player" // THIS ONLY SHOWS IN ENTITY INSPECTOR

"inv_name"            "A map of the ground floor" // SHOWS IN PLAYER'S INVENTORY.
   "inv_icon"            "guis/assets/game_maps/map_of_groundfloor_icon.tga"
   "gui"                    "guis/oldhabitsgroundfloor.gui"
}

This goes into a def file in your def folder

This is the gui the def is referring to

windowDef Desktop
{
       rect	  0,0,640,480
       nocursor 1

windowDef background_map
   {
       rect	  100,50, 440, 380
       background "guis/assets/game_maps/groundfloor"
       visible 1
   }
    // Required include for inventory map
   #include "guis/readables/inventory_map.guicode"    
}

This basically tells the game how the gui should look like.

As you can see in the gui, the tga. file is stored under guis/assets/game_maps. You don't have to store it there, you can also just put it in the guis folder itself.

So three things are needed:

1. An entity definition that inherits from the map_base entity, referring to your gui.
  2. A gui file telling the game how the gui should look like.
  3. All the image files you want to show with the specific entity.

You need to do this for every map.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Finally got the maps working! Anyone know how I get a map inventory icon to show up when the player cycles through the inventory? I've got "inv_icon" "guis/assets/game_maps/mapname.tga

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker