The Dark Mod Forums

Farrell, The Thief

oDDity

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I'm gonna need drool cleanup on aisle me!

I agree for the actual shot maybe the lighting could be such that more of the face is shadowed.

I don't think the sword looks out of place. If you had a sword hanging from a frog at your left hip and then turned into an archery stance with your left leg forward and hips 45 degrees to the right, the angle of the sword would probably look just like that. You could maybe adjust the frog on the belt to move the sword a little farther back (towards the back), but then you would run into problems running when it banged into the back of your leg. Maybe we could adjust the frog position back a bit just for this shot though.

THey don't really fit in the limited space at the top of the webpage border though, so I did one more like the old 'looking over shoulder' pose fron the old site.

post-5-1109801299.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

THAT, is *exactly* what I was looking for! Awesome job oDDity. This website is going to rock. :)

wow! that's really awesome! :D :D i only sugest to play around with the lighting a bit.. maybe bring down the main spot light and add a back light to define the contours. to be honest, i can't say if it would look better, without testing and looking at it myself lol this way is already good enough though

I notice you steered clear from the entire area of tampering wiht the nude gay thief...

I did a verison of that shot which keys in better wioth the backgound SH. If you send me those files, the hallway and dark mod text I can pose him and fit him in better.

post-5-1109885876.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I like the 2nd one better. Better colors, better lighting, better placement of the bow (compositionally speaking). The placement of the bow in the top one, and the solid black colors of his clothes, just kind've makes him look more like a ninja with a curved ninja sword; that's all.

Where did "Stories of the Shadows" come from? Did I miss a thread? :) I like it and think it makes some sense, considering FM authors will hopefully be making countless stories from our tool. However, when I play games (e.g., Thief) I play more for the gameplay than the story -- thus, I don't pay much attention to the story -- so the phrase doesn't do much for me, personally. Maybe we can make a couple catch phrases to use over time, during our marketing campaign. Appealing to the story side of things for a while like that phrase does, but then also maybe eventually including messages to appeal to those who like and focus on the adventures of thieving around itself, rather than the story. Just a thought. Note: I know we don't want to confuse people too much and I think we should remain somewhat consistent with our message (too much dilution isn't good), but I'm hoping there's room for a different phrase some day, when the time is right.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Where did "Stories of the Shadows" come from?  Did I miss a thread? :)  I like it and think it makes some sense, considering FM authors will hopefully be making countless stories from our tool.  However, when I play games (e.g., Thief) I play more for the gameplay than the story -- thus, I don't pay much attention to the story -- so the phrase doesn't do much for me, personally.  Maybe we can make a couple catch phrases to use over time, during our marketing campaign.  Appealing to the story side of things for a while like that phrase does, but then also maybe eventually including messages to appeal to those who like and focus on the adventures of thieving around itself, rather than the story.  Just a thought.  Note: I know we don't want to confuse people too much and I think we should remain somewhat consistent with our message (too much dilution isn't good), but I'm hoping there's room for a different phrase some day, when the time is right.

? :blink: ? WTF?

Edited by Dram

The 'city' line didn't work anymore, since none of the title graphics actually have a city in them. And "Stories from the Shadows" basically sums up what the mod is all about. It took the collective brainpower of at least three team-members to come up with it, with only a few brain cells to spare. :)

Odd: I'll see about using that new pic, but trying to customize every graphic would be overkill, I think. The thief isn't necessarily supposed to look exactly like he's in the scene. It *is* a bit of an overlay, linked to the title as much as the background. But I'll see what I can do after I get the damn php working. I'll try to get the new bow in.

YOu didn't see what I said on IRc before you pinged out.

I said it would be a good idea to have the various backgrounds fade in and out while you are looking at the banner, rather then just loading a random one when you refresh the page.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I said it would be a good idea to have the various backgrounds fade in and out while you are looking at the banner, rather then just loading a random one when you refresh the page.

That's a possibility. I don't know how difficult that would be to do using php. I know graphically making the background fade without the title doing so and keeping everything looking good would be tricky. I'm going to see how it handles the way it's already coded first. If fading can be done, it can always be added later.

That's a possibility. I don't know how difficult that would be to do using php. I know graphically making the background fade without the title doing so and keeping everything looking good would be tricky. I'm going to see how it handles the way it's already coded first. If fading can be done, it can always be added later.

That's not something you'd do with php. Flash is the right tool here.

The second one look sbetter, but somehow the covered face reminds me of a mummy. It should be more mysterious. The face should not be seen because the cloack hides it, not because he is totally covered up. In our current banner, the face is also covered by this veil, but it is not so promiment. It could also be a shadow, because the face is much more obscure, which I like better.

Gerhard

It's easy to paint it that way, but imposible to light it like that in 3d, becasue it isn't realistic to have light on the face but not on the mask. The light soucre would light both.

I was thinking of making a triangle point at the chin part of the mask to make it look more like a hankerchief tied around the face.

- Emil Zola

character models site