The Dark Mod Forums

The Norway Tragedy

Sotha

I think the confusion here is with the term "ultra-rights in the US".

Under conventional definitions in our political spectrum, Red-State Republican Neo-Con folk would likely only celebrate mass murder if it were enacted against "folks collecting welfare checks". The gullible red-state blue collar folk do not have the "sophistication" to grasp the idea of attacking the enablers of such a system... or would loathe to loose what they perceive as moral high-ground (attacking other white people knocks you off that high horse).

If you are referring to the KKK, then they may be happy about these actions but we do call them "ultra-rights in the US" we call them Racist Radicals.

Yes, the distinction is subtle but it is there nonetheless.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

This just got to me:

Well, the opposite side gets bolder, too...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019547/Anjem-Choudary-Islamic-extremists-set-Sharia-law-zones-UK-cities.html

I just don't understand if this are natural occurrences or people are agitated from both sides by whoever would profit form any escalations.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

This just got to me:

Well, the opposite side gets bolder, too...

http://www.dailymail...-UK-cities.html

I just don't understand if this are natural occurrences or people are agitated from both sides by whoever would profit form any escalations.

No no no no.

Rule #1 of enjoying the Daily Mail: Never read the Daily Mail

Rule #2: Know that it's main market is old ladies who want to shake their heads and tsk at the "hordes of asians" taking over the country.

That is a publicity seeking c*nt infamous in the UK and despised by every Muslim in the whole country who knows he is a shameless self promoter only out to grab headlines.

Prolefeed outlets like the Daily Fail exist in a symbiotic relationship with people like this, using that outrage to make headlines and boost sales.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

No no no no.

Rule #2: Know that it's main market is old ladies who want to shake their heads and tsk at the "hordes of asians" taking over the country.

Prolefeed outlets like the Daily Fail exist in a symbiotic relationship with people like this, using that outrage to make headlines and boost sales.

I'm well aware of that.And it's not the only one of its kind.But I read it occasionally because [really...] they often have cute animal photos AND the comments section seems to show an insight in British popular opinion, which is hard to get from here (Germany).

It's not like I'm interested in the nonsense it offers otherwise, yet I feel it is a good example of how the masses tick:

I have a very clear opinion of most other people since I realized that most people actually enjoy that unendurable hilarious dirt in TV and many magazines.Having read in a couple of forums was another knockdown in the hope that most people are actually sane.

It actually frightens me how...simple many people are.

A thing that got me floored recently:The Amy Whinehouse overdose death got MUCH more british media attention than the contemporaneous Norway massacre:And the media was right,discussion forums got many times more posts commenting her death than the attack.

But back to the point;more respectable news outlets blow in the same horn:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4749183.ece

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7232661.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/jun/29/religion-islam-sharia-britain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/islamic-sharia-law-has-a-place-in-england/6574.html

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

@Outlooker

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronising. I am horrified though that you would take the comments from any British news site seriously, it's a wave of bile from embittered 30 somethings. To lighten the mood - a nice satire on people's opinions forming the core of news coverage:

I'm not going to stick up for the British press - but regarding celebrities dying...

Since the death of Princess Diana there's been a bizarre outpouring of "me too" grief - a sense that when something happens in the public eye it is owned by the unwashed masses. So now the most awful celebrity can die and there'll be hours and hours of coverage. It's the whole expected media narrative thing.

If you want a really good examination of the press look up Charlie Brooker's Newswipe, which is an exceptional dissection of the media:

@Outlooker

I am horrified though that you would take the comments from any British news site seriously, it's a wave of bile from embittered 30 somethings.

One has to.Mass opinion is too important to ignore.It may serve as an early warning mechanism,marketing tool,policy enabler,financial profit chance and so on.

There is a reason bigshots in politics,finance etc. have an eye on it or,of course,try to shape it.

It may be mostly filth,but it is filth that makes millions and millions of people move.

There is an advantage with propaganda/marketing in media targeted to the lower educated classes:It is usually recognizable as such,and gives an hint/insight into what the elites might be up to,which is otherwise hard to get for unconnected commoners like us.

True, the Daily Mail has a very definite right-wing "middle England" slant. On the other hand, it doesn't mean that what they are reporting in this case isn't true. There are parts of London which are becoming progressively Islam-ised, with violence targeted at homosexuals or anyone who "offends Islam".

In fact I was just going to search for earlier Pat Condell videos which discuss this, and discovered that he has already created another one about exactly this story:

And the earlier one about the London issue:

http://www.youtube.com/user/patcondell#p/u/5/377kKBi6anQ

I am horrified though that you would take the comments from any British news site seriously

Why single out British news sites specifically? In my experience the comments sections of all news sites are full of uninformed bigoted rubbish. I've heard the phrase "never read the bottom half of the Internet" used to refer to this phenomenon, and it is advice which I make every effort to follow.

How widespread is this?

"Norwegian stores began pulling World of Warcraft and Modern Warfare off the shelves, because Anders Breivik played these games."

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/norwegian-retailer-indefinitely-bans-violent-video-games-even-though-no-one-asked/3536/

Can someone from Norway acknowledge this?

If true, it would be a new low.

How far off the mark can you go?

the really bad thing is people who claim political asylum because they're being forced to follow a specific religious dogma in their home country, but as soon as they get asylum they then start saying how much better the country they are now in would be if they followed the religious dogma they were running away from in the first place.

"Norwegian stores began pulling World of Warcraft and Modern Warfare off the shelves, because Anders Breivik played these games."

http://www.giantbomb...one-asked/3536/

Hmpf. They should investigate which tv-shows or movies the murderer liked and ban them. And music. And books. And his preferred brand of mettwurst.

Obviously these things spark violent&idiotic behavior.. Or it somehow shows respect to the victims to remove everything the murderer touched... Fools!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If true, it would be a new low.

It would be a low, but by no means new. The spirit of Jackass Thompson and his band of superstitious pro-censorship wankstains has been calling the shots for some time now, in pretty much every country.

It would be a low, but by no means new. The spirit of Jackass Thompson

That mad attourney/lawyer? Who is officially insane, afaik.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Jeeze. I mistrust every government and every mainstream media's take on video games. I haven't found one yet that hasn't straw man'd it in controversial topics.

Quite frankly, every human should be insulted when anyone claims "this media should be banned because it causes X" or "videogames cause Y" because they're asserting that your tiny monkey brain can't help but lose control over certain stimuli. That's just plain false, and anyone who has ever studied psychology ought to know this.

Pro-censor twerps.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

This Pat Corndell chap seems like a deeply uninformed bigot. I tried watching about half a dozen videos but found it made my grit my teeth.

I've never heard of him before, is he famous on the other side of the Atlantic or something? I had to Google / Wiki him to get any idea of his background.

Quite frankly, every human should be insulted when anyone claims "this media should be banned because it causes X" or "videogames cause Y" because they're asserting that your tiny monkey brain can't help but lose control over certain stimuli. That's just plain false, and anyone who has ever studied psychology ought to know this.

Exactly. Isn't it baffling and kinda fascinating in a masochistic way to hear and witness how simple people think these kinds of problems are?

Like without the violent videogames and such media nothing bad would ever happen.

I'm thoroughly embarrassed each and every time someone goes apeshit and kills people (and saddened of course, which goes without saying), only to later mention that there was a certain videogame in the killer's possession.

Also it's about being able to separate real life and fiction, it's not that uncommon for a goddamn headcase to confuse these at the right times, so that's something everyone has to pay for.

Every corner must be wrapped in bubblewrap and every sharp object must be dulled just in case someone finds it within themselves to hurt someone else.

Makes me sick on so many levels...

his Pat Corndell chap seems like a deeply uninformed bigot

What is it he's uninformed about?

This Pat Corndell chap seems like a deeply uninformed bigot. I tried watching about half a dozen videos but found it made my grit my teeth.

What is it he's uninformed about?

He doesn't pull his punches, which might be mistaken for bigotry in the excessively-sensitive culture we seem to live in, but I don't think he meets the definition. A bigot hates a group of people for no reason, or for an ignorant or incorrect reason such as "all blacks are criminals". Pat Condell on the other hand is very specifically criticising the minority of religious fundamentalists who attack basic freedoms in the Western world while demanding special protection for their own views, along with the "bleeding-heart liberals" who cheer them on in the interests of tolerance. He has also stated in several videos that he is aware that such people do not represent ALL Muslims/Christians, and provides links with his videos where you can check out that the events he refers to did actually happen.

Of course religious wingnuts will consider him a bigot nevertheless, because they consider anybody who dares to have their own opinion as such (apparently the guy who set up Conservapedia considered the fact that Wikipedia allows non-religious date formats to be discrimination. Yes that's right, not forcing people to be religious is "attacking" religion).