The Dark Mod Forums

Flakebridge Map for Jesps

Glyph Seeker

I really love seeing maps in FMs, and I was thrilled by Jesps trying to flesh out his corner of TDM universe with a couple of maps in his latest FMs.

I'd really like to see more maps in game, or more discussion about the mythos out of the game - talk about those insane campaign ideas or elaborate level designs you have! Even if you'll never have the time to make them - it's great to share ideas I think!

So, here's a quick (about an hour) attempt to redraw his in game map by hand and scan it. It's far from perfect - in fact, I was really disappointed with how it looked after a scan - ideally I need to get over my problems and use a digital tool - but I thought I'd upload it to show my intent.

post-8023-131178802349_thumb.jpg

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Nice work.

I'd love to see more of this in missions as well.

One caveat is that as soon as someone contributes--let's say--a map of the Bridgeport dock area with landmarks, it sort of cements that area in place. Others who might have a different idea of what's there would either need to adhere to the same map, or make up their own and mutter something about how undependable mapmakers can be.

@Grayman

Thank you!

Ah - that's a good point. For me, this is something I wish to dismiss entirely as a worry - unless they are in the same campaign, areas can have all kinds of geography and mappers should not worry too much. It's like roleplaying use the Forgotten Realms I think - the city of Baldur's Gate is fixed - but you can invent all kinds of alley ways and buildings inside it - or entire villages and castles in the countryside around it in your campaigns!

I am very nervous about treading on Springheel's toes for any kind of background / universe stuff. All I want to do is get people excited about TDM universe and their own interpretation of it - if we can build up that one way or another - maybe we win over some of the doubters!

Nice map Glyph Seeker, it could really benefit from being overlaid onto an 'aged parchment' to give it that authentic feeling.

Don't forget, even real world maps contradict each other and aren't always to scale (especially old maps), so FM maps could have quite a bit of variety I feel.

Edited by Midnight

Nice map! :)

I am very nervous about treading on Springheel's toes for any kind of background / universe stuff.

It's not like I have final say over the setting. Ultimately it will grow organically based on what most people prefer. I just try to keep our core "Bible" front and center in people's minds so that there's a baseline of consistency. And I can't help throwing in my own two cents about what makes a good story and/or setting when the topic comes up.

One caveat is that as soon as someone contributes--let's say--a map of the Bridgeport dock area with landmarks, it sort of cements that area in place. Others who might have a different idea of what's there would either need to adhere to the same map, or make up their own and mutter something about how undependable mapmakers can be.

Yes, this is an important point to make. It's why I generally discourage detailed maps of large areas, particularly if they're not tied to a specific mission. To some extent this is unavoidable, however. Someone could design a mission that takes place in the Inventor's Guild that looks nothing like what the person playing thought the IG looked like. Same goes for the great bridges, or the main hall, or the Order of Hermes, or whatever.

To some extent, people will filter out things that don't fit their vision. In other cases where there are contradictions, popular opinion might have to prevail.

Nice map! :)

It's not like I have final say over the setting. Ultimately it will grow organically based on what most people prefer. I just try to keep our core "Bible" front and center in people's minds so that there's a baseline of consistency. And I can't help throwing in my own two cents about what makes a good story and/or setting when the topic comes up.

Yes, this is an important point to make. It's why I generally discourage detailed maps of large areas, particularly if they're not tied to a specific mission. To some extent this is unavoidable, however. Someone could design a mission that takes place in the Inventor's Guild that looks nothing like what the person playing thought the IG looked like. Same goes for the great bridges, or the main hall, or the Order of Hermes, or whatever.

To some extent, people will filter out things that don't fit their vision. In other cases where there are contradictions, popular opinion might have to prevail.

Thank you!

I agree that the "core" should be as malleable as possible... I think that our FM creators are so responsible that they haven't tried making a map which defines any one place.

I would only like to draw maps on such a large scale as this when it's the mythos of an FM author, and not Braedan or Bridgeport. For maps inside a city - I would love to draw /PART/ of a quarter- for example, I'm dying to get a good picture drawn of what the flooded quarter would be like - it fires my imagination even more than the plague quarter! But again, an FM and its map is always a "scene" and not the "big picture" which would set it in stone. =-)

I guess the "treading on toes" thing is also the sense I got of trying to ask things very tentatively and being worried about people assuming I was begging for someone to make a mission for me or add massive features to TDM - when I just want to share my silly ideas and doodles. x-)

I really like the detailed style of your map, very fun to look at all the little parts and sections, very cool!

Thank you very much! I was going to add a "Soslange" lake monster to the water but thought it was a bit much. ;-P

Perhaps on a map for a fishing village / lighthouse mission.

I really liked the idea of builder roads having hammer shrines at crossroads - kind of like the ones I saw when visiting Austria. Welcome signs of civilization when there are bandits in the hills! So that's what those additions are meant to be. I also took some liberty on adding a waterfall as I wanted to break up the outline of the lake.

Thank you very much! I was going to add a "Soslange" lake monster to the water but thought it was a bit much. ;-P

Adding a monster in the lake would be a nice touch. Old maps showing great bodies of water--particularly oceans--included monsters in the water. "Here there be sea monsters."

Adding a monster in the lake would be a nice touch. Old maps showing great bodies of water--particularly oceans--included monsters in the water. "Here there be sea monsters."

+1

\m/ B) \m/

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

So, here's a quick (about an hour) attempt to redraw his in game map by hand and scan it. It's far from perfect - in fact, I was really disappointed with how it looked after a scan - ideally I need to get over my problems and use a digital tool - but I thought I'd upload it to show my intent.

Cool map! I see you possess some nice talent there.. I'm working on a map that involves a region in the City. Since navigating in the place may be confusing, I'm definately gonna give the player a map of the area.

I suck in drawing those. Would you be interested, when the time comes, in creating a pretty version of my ugly map? The map will need to have that old paper/parchment background that the TDM readables typically have and maybe some written notes. Something like this:

bafford.jpg

Interested? There is gonna be a long while before I get the map into that phase, though..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Cool map! I see you possess some nice talent there.. I'm working on a map that involves a region in the City. Since navigating in the place may be confusing, I'm definately gonna give the player a map of the area.

I suck in drawing those. Would you be interested, when the time comes, in creating a pretty version of my ugly map? The map will need to have that old paper/parchment background that the TDM readables typically have and maybe some written notes. Something like this:

bafford.jpg

Interested? There is gonna be a long while before I get the map into that phase, though..

Thank you very much!

And yes, I am complimented by the offer - I'd love to do something like that! Perhaps I could do a Glenham area one, heh.

I don't think maps of the City are a problem, as long as, in addition to the known locations of the Hammer Cathedral and large main streets, etc. from the Thief games, there are plenty of smaller side streets and alleyways shown that lead off into other parts of that quarter of the City that are not depicted on the map. It's these many connecting streets, alleys and tunnels that allow for the many locations not currently known from the games, that are yet to be revealed in Thief IV or discussed in a Thief FM, to be added to the City with no problem. There's always room for another inn, or church, or mansion, or warehouse that's needed for a FM.

After all, the City is no doubt vast, and we only know a fraction of the locations in it. Some of the most famous places like the huge Cathedral are known, but there are many others which have yet to be revealed. Room enough for all the FM's one may wish to make that take place in the City. :)

there are plenty of smaller side streets and alleyways ... not currently known from the games, that are yet to be revealed in Thief IV or discussed in a Thief FM

I don't think we were ever talking about Thief.... :huh:

The thing is that in the world of TDM, when I write "Here Be Monsters", that's only because they are real and too hideous to draw... ;-P

As for the parchment - I'd best do a new one digitally if I have the strength, which would make it easier to texture... But doesn't TDM automatically texture things as parchment when you apply them to a scroll? *confused*