The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved in TDM 2.0] Untethered Dark Mod

vorob

The first material shader in the list, fogs/basicfog only references a single image. The image in question, _fog is generated internally by the engine. The only component of the shader that could be changed is the addition removal of comments and that's just silly. I'm going to retype it and be done with it.

I just copy/paste, reindent as C code then make sure the material has the correct keywords, add a real description etc. Also doesnt hurt to double check editor images and stuff like that :)But yeah, all in all it's completely pointless trying to pretend there's some reason to retype such basic things... but you might as well add some value while in the area!

The first material shader in the list, fogs/basicfog only references a single image. The image in question, _fog is generated internally by the engine. The only component of the shader that could be changed is the addition removal of comments and that's just silly. I'm going to retype it and be done with it.

Yes, that's enough, functional things can't be copyrighted, anyway. Just make sure that you add it to the appropriate file (tdm_legacy.def, or tdm_misc.mat) and indend it and clean it up etc. I have done the same for other very simply one-line material definitions and the like.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I have just created a new projectile for the mage, but unfortunately this makes Mandrasola still not load - because the map contains it's own definition of the mage in a file called def/tdm_ai_animagus.def, which still uses the D3 entity. Seems this FM must be updated (the file removed) to work.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

So, how can I check my mission uses only darkmod assets?

When you build your map, a good rule of the thumb is to use stuff only from the darkmod folder in DR. Using stuff from the D3 assets is not a good idea.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

that's for sure. What about D3 assets bundled with the mod?

My uneducated guess is that if it the stuff you used was in the darkmod folder, there is hope for that asset to be replaced with free substitute at some point in time.

I am under impression that people can test the missions by trying to run a FM with the D3 free compiled darkmod engine without having the doom 3 pk4's available.

The mission may crash and the console gets filled with complains about all the stuff that is missing. I think that is the way the team is currently trying to identify what assets need to be recreated.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

My uneducated guess is that if it the stuff you used was in the darkmod folder, there is hope for that asset to be replaced with free substitute at some point in time.

Come to think of it, I have started some maps years ago, and I don't remember if I have used extra D3 assets. Bad bad bad. :(

I am under impression that people can test the missions by trying to run a FM with the D3 free compiled darkmod engine without having the doom 3 pk4's available.

The mission may crash and the console gets filled with complains about all the stuff that is missing. I think that is the way the team is currently trying to identify what assets need to be recreated.

that's it. I know where I will find it. ;)

Yes, that's basically how we re doing it. We also now have a few wiki article: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Standalone_Progress

Speaking of this, now that the lists of missing assets exist, where are all the contributions from people replacing them? ;)

The list contains a mix of image and material shaders, tho. Also, I added a lot of material shaders and entities etc already. I think we need to regenerate the list.

Have you created the material shaders, or the texture files?

Sounds great, could you please post them somewhere so I can merge them? Or even better, check out SVN and merge them yourselves?

(I have not made any textures, so these are definitely welcome!)

Grayman did a run through all missions (before my latest additions) and I have a huge list of missing things, which didn't make it yet to th wiki, because I figured Imight whittle the list a bit. Sorry if this caused double work for you.

I was planning on doing some testing and comparison before I submitted anything. I also haven't looked over the way TDM's assets are organized so integration will be a little more involved than copy and paste. But it sounds like your excited to get your hands on them so if you're in a hurry this is what I have ATM...

http://min.us/m4tSadYIl

Also you can remove textures/decals/bloodspray from the wiki. I had a look at it and the image used is a sprite rip from the original Doom.

I was planning on doing some testing and comparison before I submitted anything. I also haven't looked over the way TDM's assets are organized so integration will be a little more involved than copy and paste. But it sounds like your excited to get your hands on them so if you're in a hurry this is what I have ATM... http://min.us/m4tSadYIl

Says the file doesn't exist.

Also you can remove textures/decals/bloodspray from the wiki. I had a look at it and the image used is a sprite rip from the original Doom.

Er, but we can't use original Doom files, either, I guess.

Have you guys created a replacement for doom_utils.script? I was trying to create a clean environment to test assets in and TDM 1.07 requires that script.

Yes, that's long gone.

I'm probably better off at this point just downloading a working copy of the mod from SVN but I don't have the URL or an account.

I'll PM you the details.

The link works for me. How about a forum attachment then?

tdm.zip.txt

Could save it, hopefully it survived :)

Right. We can't. And since the original material is clearly intended as an easter egg or joke it's not vital to include it.

Sure, but if its in the list, some FM tried to load it. Probably not everyone got the memo not to use it :D

I'll see that I whip up a replacement.

Do we have a "jorge" texture anywhere that we use as a placeholder? I know about the 100% black "missing texture", but I was thinking more of the Half-Life 2 self-lit neon purple checkerboard.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

What's that texture used for?

Jorge in dromed is the "null texture". Its on all brushes when you first make them, until you replace it with some other texture. It will look like a blue & white with some pink and green checkerboard pattern with the name Jorge. It's very easy to spot in the editor. In game it will appear as a very dark solid blueish-black field, like it's covered in shadow.

Edit: I used to have an avatar once that was a cute little Jorge flag. Here it is:

14buvkw.gif

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Do we have a "jorge" texture anywhere that we use as a placeholder? I know about the 100% black "missing texture", but I was thinking more of the Half-Life 2 self-lit neon purple checkerboard.

I think it just defaults to black at the moment - however it's not hard to change that, since anything missing should be mapped to 'default', adding a diffuse and additive stage like the 'shader not found' in DR would do the same thing as the HL2 purple tiles. Might be a good idea for the transition period. Maybe have a CVar to change the default material to something else (the default material is only 'found' once, so it's easy to do).

Tels - it just makes it easy to spot missing textures, so that they don't just blend in and go unnoticed — good for testing, not for production. (I've no idea why they left it in HL2, since quite often their shaders bug out and you end up seeing the pattern :/)

i'd like to post that Winter Harves uses 1 doom3 entity - player teleporter

forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13261-untethered-dark-mod/unread/

how does team will deal with such situtation ?

I think it just defaults to black at the moment - however it's not hard to change that, since anything missing should be mapped to 'default', adding a diffuse and additive stage like the 'shader not found' in DR would do the same thing as the HL2 purple tiles. Might be a good idea for the transition period. Maybe have a CVar to change the default material to something else (the default material is only 'found' once, so it's easy to do).

Tels - it just makes it easy to spot missing textures, so that they don't just blend in and go unnoticed — good for testing, not for production. (I've no idea why they left it in HL2, since quite often their shaders bug out and you end up seeing the pattern :/)

Ok, so we create a "_default" material defintion (or is that "default"), add the image and stage and stuff that into an exra file, which we do not ship. So you see it in SVN, but never in the release.

i'd like to post that Winter Harves uses 1 doom3 entity - player teleporter

forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13261-untethered-dark-mod/unread/

how does team will deal with such situtation ?

The entity in question has already been added - I haven't tested that it works, but the underlying C object is still there, and so it should work (minus some things that apperently even id never implemented, god I love it when you see their original entity def and half of it is commented out, and the other half has only half of the spawnargs actually implemented :D

Anyway, anything that is marked as "missing" in the list grayman produced will eventually be added one way or another.