The Dark Mod Forums

More & better sounds:

Bikerdude

Are these all free for our use? There's some good stuff in there. I can't see any obvious way to download them though.

Ha, noticed this later in the thread:

The sound effects very much remind me of the Thief games (and Darkmod), which is good since they were awesome.

With Firefox you can take them from the stream when they play with the DownloadHelper app. I imagine any other app that rips streams could do the same.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Some of the distant shouts and internal/external sounds are pretty useless/sound a bit silly. But I like the environmental effects a lot, the shoreline and rain on x ones are very nice, shackles too.

Anyhoo, perhaps we can get in touch with the mod author - or to rip them from his packaged mod, browsing freesounds seems like a lot of :effort:. Obviously credit where credit is due, as he makes sure to give :)

Here are the abridged credits for sounds from freesound.org

wim		distant hammering
ronfont		distant dog barks
guitarguy1985	military horn
klankbeeld	military march
sazman		distant cat fights
tomlija		distant children playing
daveincamas	jail shackles
reinsamba	talos chapel roomtone
acclivity	snoring
incarnadine	interior rain roomtone
erdie		interior lightning strike
coneybeare	rain hitting window
audible-edge	doorstep cold winds

jamesoc		raven
herbertboland	buzzing flies
sithjawa	distant animals (coyote)
justinbw	cracking ice sheets
fairedesvagues	rain impact on wood
lukeirl		rain impact on tents
jakeharries	rain dripping in caves
corsica_s	waves hitting wood
sofie		bats

offthesky	distant impacts
offthesky	distant movement
tomlija		distant doors
robinhood76	falmer screams
ignotus		dwemer pipes/impacts
juskidink	dwemer pipes/impacts
spukkin		dwemer pipes/impacts
vegemyte	dwemer pipes/impacts
filipe Chagas	unstable wooden supports
klankbeeld	dragur voices
wolfsinger	wraith

Edited by rich_is_bored

I wish we'd get 1/1000 of the people who make mods for other games to add something to TDM.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I wish we'd get 1/1000 of the people who make mods for other games to add something to TDM.

If we had our own section on the nexus site, then I imagine we would.

It's better to get the sounds straight from the modder though,

I have already dropped the guy a pm on the nexus forums.

Here are the abridged credits for sounds from freesound.org

thanks for that RiB.

I would advise against extracting the sounds from a video if you can use them. The sounds were (probably) compressed to begin with, then re-compressed into AAC for the video, then they would have to be re-compressed again to ogg for TDM. This would result in crappy quality sound.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Amusingly, in the development video showing the mods the official team made in the first week after it shipped - one of them made fire, water and freeze arrows - and added "assassin's vision" to track enemy patrols - AND ALSO the ability for guards to reignite doused flames!

Another person added truly dark dungeons...

Methinks they were all itching to be making a Thief game... ;-)

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I would advise against extracting the sounds from a video if you can use them. The sounds were (probably) compressed to begin with, then re-compressed into AAC for the video, then they would have to be re-compressed again to ogg for TDM. This would result in crappy quality sound.

It's not a good idea for the base assets, but for a mapper it's a very user-friendly way to get custom sounds so they can do more creative things with their FM. So in that sense, I always recommend mappers try it. Also, in my experience just the act of surfing YouTube looking for sounds can spark the imagination and you find cool things & get good ideas that you didn't think about before.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It's not a good idea for the base assets, but for a mapper it's a very user-friendly way to get custom sounds so they can do more creative things with their FM. So in that sense, I always recommend mappers try it.

That is certainly valid for sounds which are only available on YouTube (personally I would be uncomfortable with the copyright implications, even though in most cases no-one is going to care about samples from a YouTube video), but if the sounds were actually taken from another source which offers them freely in high quality, it would be insane to rely on the serially-compressed video versions instead.

Different tools for different jobs. YouTube is for sounds you're just not finding other places, especially for obscure folios from the real world that happen to get on tape. If you could find it from a HQ source of course you'd use that instead. Depends on what kind of sound effect we're talking about too. Some need to be HQ more than others. As for copyright implications, of course the whole point is since you usually know who made & uploaded the video, you just ask them for permission directly through their YT account. They almost always say yes; no one has said no to me yet, though some don't answer. But if they're regularly visiting their YT account, they'll usually respond.

It's also good for finding music tracks just because you can surf so many in a convenient way to find the one you want. Then you just ask the creator for the source track & permission to use it (if it's an indie track). But I usually like indie & homebrew music better anyway, just because it's always going to be fresh & unfamiliar to the listener, so no potential baggage.

Good new the guy got back to me -

Greets, Bikerdude.

Sorry for not answering before.

You can use the sounds provided in SoS, but you must put the appropriate sound author in your Credits section. A link to the files like I did is not necessary, but I did it in case people like you wanted to see what else the author had done and to get a direct link to the sounds.

Cheers!