The Dark Mod Forums

So I made a short trailer...

Professor Paul1290

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6iHx1_TJPw&hd=1

It's a short gameplay trailer I cobbled together using a leftover save from my Let's Play of In the North (I really liked this room) and a track from the mod.

Let me know what you think. I haven't set this to public yet so it's only visible here.

UPDATE:

I edited in more clips, and now I've got something a bit more varied and "trailer-like".

See other post for link.

Now it has water arrows, sword-fighting, and amusingly enough it now ends with candle re-lighting!

Enjoy! :D

UPDATE AGAIN:

The Dark Mod Trailer take 3 see other post for link.

I shortened some of the existing clips, added a few more, and added a little bit to the intro.

UPDATE AGAIN!:

See other post for link.

I split the longest sequence and shortened the intro. I also added in a new clip that shows a guard looking up at a rope while at the same time showing off leaning, and added a new clip with lockpicking. I also turned down the music and turned up the sound effects.

UPDATE AGAIN AGAIN:

Finished up what will probably be the final version of the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_IUXPlyU6M&hd=1

I couldn't do much about the guard looking up at the rope, but I did get the music to sync better at the end.

Here's the video file:

http://depositfiles....files/t7sh4my1o

Feel free to upload this as well or put in on the front page somewhere if you want. I only post on a few forums and most aren't Thief related so any help spreading it would be nice! :D

Edited by Professor Paul1290

short trailer huh ? i think its too long

also it features only 1 mission and trailer has to show different environments.

if i were making trailer - i'd would use some city mission,outdoor mission and maybe some of the horse riding record

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

some of the horse riding record

than it wouldn't be a gameplay-trailer ;)

but yeah, it could be cutted together from different missions, also showing the other aspects (water/fire arrows, undead, melee fighting aso)

but for a first try it wasn't bad ^_^

the music was good btw

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

than it wouldn't be a gameplay-trailer ;)

why ?

have you seen it ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dilAPQiIxo4&feature=plcp

if you want horse in you map - just add those lines to your custom .def file

entityDef RidableHorse

{

"inherit" "atdm:ai_animal_horse_tame3"

"spawnclass" "CAIVehicle"

"scriptobject" "ai_controllable_base"

// friendly to the player

"team" "0"

"frobable" "1"

"frob_action_script" "frob_ridableAI"

// let the player mantle and stand on the horse

"is_mantleable" "1"

"push_off_player" "0"

"steerSpeed" "1.5" // steering rate

"time_to_max_speed" "2.0" // time it takes to get from 0 to max speed

"max_reverse_speed" "0.0" // max reverse speed as fraction of max forward speed (NYI)

// rider positioning. Try to pick a fairly steady joint

// also, the player shouldn't clip into the AI when attached (for now)

"ride_joint" "rider"

"ride_offset" "0 -10 0"

"speed_0_anim" "walk"

"speed_0_min_rate" "1.0"

"speed_0_max_rate" "2.0"

"speed_0_next_speed_control_frac" "0.25"

"speed_1_anim" "trot"

"speed_1_min_rate" "1.0"

"speed_1_max_rate" "1.5"

"speed_1_next_speed_control_frac" "0.65"

"speed_2_anim" "run"

"speed_2_min_rate" "0.75"

"speed_2_max_rate" "1.0"

}*/

///////////////////////////////////////////////

/////horse with saddle (no rug or bridle)/////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////

model horse_tame4 {

mesh models/md5/chars/animals/horse2/tdm_horse_saddle_only.md5mesh

channel torso ( *neck4 )

channel legs ( *origin -*neck4 )

anim af_pose models/md5/chars/animals/horse2/af_pose.md5anim

anim ik_pose models/md5/chars/animals/horse2/af_pose.md5anim

anim idle models/md5/chars/animals/horse2/idle.md5anim

anim idle_01 models/md5/chars/animals/horse2/idle_01.md5anim

anim idle_02 models/md5/chars/animals/horse2/idle_02.md5anim

{

frame 35 footstep

frame 56 footstep

frame 89 footstep

frame 237 footstep

frame 254 footstep

frame 270 footstep

}

anim idle_03 models/md5/chars/animals/horse2/idle_03.md5anim

anim walk

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

but yeah, it could be cutted together from different missions, also showing the other aspects (water/fire arrows, undead, melee fighting aso)

I have been trying to figure out how to do that. Showing lots of stuff is a bit tricky without lots of cuts because TDM gameplay is relatively slow and I kind of exhausted the music track.

Of course, maybe I shouldn't try to do it all in one take. :laugh:

@PPaul: you record lot's of gameplay stuff, than you choose the ones that seems most appealing and cut them together

(I'm not sure if this is the right term, I mean you take some movie snippets and make one new out of it by merging them together ... or so :wacko: )

@shadowhide: yeah I know the video, what I've meant is that current FM's don't use it and I'm not sure future ones will do so, at least not as a basic gameplay element

and btw wasn't meant to serious :rolleyes:

EDIT: is it possible to let an AI ride a horse, like the police riders in GB

Edited by Obsttorte

Yep, pretty nice. The opening is a bit long, and since the music doesn't have much volume at the beginning, I might add a title to the start just to give it a bit more to do (and so people know what they're watching right away). If you wanted to spend more time on it, it could benefit from more cuts. When I made mine I think the longest continual sequence was 15 seconds....anything longer than 20-25 and people start to drift.

Definitely has some good material though...the combat sequence is great.

The Dark Mod Trailer take 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GOzwDxCuo&hd=1

I shortened some of the existing clips, added a few more, and added a little bit to the intro.

Let me know what you think!

UPDATE:

Small change, uploaded a new version with the font of the intro text changed. That font was bugging the heck out of me. :laugh:

• Like 1

The one thing I'd fix with vers. 3 was with the part where you're in the church rafters. I'd break that up into like 3 parts, and then put an interspersed sequence in between, so you'd come back to it. Even cut it's still running long. Also, I'd add the ending part back (since if it's broken up, it won't be belaboring to re-add it), where a guard walks by the rope arrow and looks up to see if anyone is up there ... because I think that's a cool feature for people to see and it's only a few more seconds to get it. It's a great overall sequence, but it's long & should be broken up.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Looks pretty cool to me. Much better than those trailers that just have a bunch of flashing in tandom with music and show pre-rendered stuff.

One suggestion would be to turn the music down slightly. Hopefully it isn't a huge pain to do that. The team put a lot of effort into revamping the footsteps and sword sounds, and anyone who tried this mod years ago and left for a wile should notice it in the new trailer.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

The one thing I'd fix with vers. 3 was with the part where you're in the church rafters. I'd break that up into like 3 parts, and then put an interspersed sequence in between, so you'd come back to it. Even cut it's still running long. Also, I'd add the ending part back (since if it's broken up, it won't be belaboring to re-add it), where a guard walks by the rope arrow and looks up to see if anyone is up there ... because I think that's a cool feature for people to see and it's only a few more seconds to get it. It's a great overall sequence, but it's long & should be broken up.

The reason I cut the ending part of that clip was because I had a few other people say that the fact guard was looking right in my direction and somehow couldn't see me (it wasn't clear that I was hidden by shadow) was a serious deal-breaker. I would have to re-record that clip to add it back in (which might not be too difficult as I think I still have the save).

Cool!

I like that very much. You captured quite interesting parts of TDM gameplay.

On the PB rooftop jumping part:

I never moved on the rooftops with such grace! In my tests upon the map creation, I always crawled on all-fours on the pipes and not even considered such a quick and cool method of movement. Too risky for me. :laugh:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@New Horizon: demagogue is right

if you look carefully you'll see that the flashbomb count is three and than drops to two after the flash

you can also see the green highlighting of the selected flashbombs ^_^

I did drop a flashbomb there, but I would agree that it's not clear.

Actually, someone else I showed this too did point out that it looked like I just ran away without doing much. I think one even interpreted the flash as a gunshot. :laugh:

I kind of slipped the clip with the more obvious flashbomb right before the swordfighting clip to get the idea across and that seemed to help a little. I'm probably going to turn down the music and turn up the sound effects and such and that'll probably help somewhat.

@New Horizon: demagogue is right

if you look carefully you'll see that the flashbomb count is three and than drops to two after the flash

you can also see the green highlighting of the selected flashbombs ^_^

Ahh, ok. I thought we were talking about two different areas. Weird. Yeah, to me it looked more like a graphical glitch in that shot.

I quite like it, though I second Demagogue's comment about breaking up the rafter scene. There are two distinct parts--watching Trumble through the spyglass, and then the gas and rope scene. I'd separate those two a bit. I also liked the part where the guy looked up the rope...that's a cool feature that no other stealth game has.

I also liked the part where the guy looked up the rope

+1

This is cool! It shows the variety of the game well. The music is good as well - was thinking for a while it was an Alex Brandon composition (bits of it seemed familiar from Erosion and other Unreal tracks), but it dawned on me it's the TDM credits roll. :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

you are soooooooo close

the scenery with guard starring at rope arrow is good but the one in your old trailer was a bit better, as the guard could be seen better there due to a bit more light

in the last scene, after you jumped over the pipes and climbed on the rooftop turning out the two candles the music isn't in a good sync with the scene

the ding-dong (soory, have no better word for it) should come exactly at a time when tension grows, so maybe at the moment when the second candle extinguishes or when you enter the balcony where you knock out the guard afterwards, you may check this

for the fighting scenes: you may wana show a scene where the player actually killsthe guard and/or maybe a scene where the player kills a guard via a broadhead arrow headshot, but that's optional

all in all this is meant to be constructive criticism, as I said: you're on a good way, taffer :D