The Dark Mod Forums

Opinions about maps

Obsttorte

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think FM's should give the player a map.

• Yes, preferable at mission start.
    • Yes, but preferable buyable through the shop.
    • I don't care. I don't need a map.
    • No. Never. Draw your own, you taffer.
  2. 2. What kind of map do you prefer?

• Classic ones like some FM's have now.
    • Automaps that are filled while proceeding.
    • Automaps like in T2, with the area I'm in highlighted.

No matter what it is, the mapper is going to have to draw the marker to fit the map anyway. If it were highlighting, the mapper would have to draw out the boundaries. If it's a cross or symbol, the mapper should draw the cross. If they're already putting all the effort into a map anyway, it's not too much to have them do a little extra work to get an automap. That's why my recommendation was someone just make up a prototype and save it as a prefab that mappers can download and tweak to their needs if they want it.

There is already an example map.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14394-apples-and-peaches-obsttortes-mapping-and-scripting-thread/page__view__findpost__p__304066

Shouldn't be too hard to fix it to ones need. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Tried the automap. It wasn't quite what I expected, as you could see the whole map from the start and it just labelled rooms as you entered them (which is useful in itself). I assume the same principle could be used to draw just the parts of the map that you've enterred?

the op say that that map just marks locations but images can be used instead.

The map I'm working on is pretty small and really won't require an automap, but i think I'll use it anyway since Ob went through the trouble of figuring it out.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

@Springheel: As said on the wiki the main work is to actually draw the map and position the parts correctly. The example map is just a "proof of concept". Of course you can use pictures instead of labels to achieve the automap effect as known by the original thief series.

If I find the time I could create a new example map showing this, but actually the code and the guis nearly stay the same (you just have to replace the "text" line in the guis with a "background" line pointing to the picture to be shown).

The map I'm working on is pretty small and really won't require an automap, but i think I'll use it anyway since Ob went through the trouble of figuring it out.

Nice. If you have questions just ask me. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I meant to vote for highlighted auto maps like in Thief II, but voted for "classic" by mistake since I assumed classic in this case would mean Thief II style maps before I had carefully read all the choices, oops. :)

I actually like the Thief II maps, because they give you an idea where you are, but not too precise, that you have moved from one area to another. So you have a sense of the flow of the rooms one to another, and how you are progressing through the building. They give you an idea of the general layout, but not so much detail that it feels artificial. They feel like real maps, rough sketches made by someone who has some knowledge of the place, but certainly not all the exact details like the architect of the building would have. They could perhaps be a tad more detailed, but still they shouldn't be too perfect. Keep that nice medieval hand-drawn parchment map feel. :)

To be honest though, as long as you don't have to change the source code, a mapper can set up any system they want to put in the work to make. I would be happy to see different styles of automaps in FMs. Sometimes highlighting a zone is cool, sometimes a little "You are here" flag, sometimes a map that fills itself in... I'll accept anything if it expresses the personality of the map well. Some maps are more on a gamey end, some on a more realist end; so different maps call for different styles IMO.

This is the same post I think I make to all of these kinds of discussions.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

OH yes a detailed map and endless weapons and able to levitate.... oh and a machine gun.

Making it 'easier and quicker to play for the younger console set takes away from the feeling of thief in my opinion.

I could not post my vote because I answered in the first half I don't need maps.

Yes, preferable at mission start.

Yes, but preferable buyable through the shop.

I don't care. I don't need a map.

No. Never. Draw your own, you taffer.

What kind of map do you prefer?

Classic ones like some FM's have now.

Automaps that are filled while proceeding.

Automaps like in T2, with the area I'm in highlighted.

No choice to say no -- so vote does not work

I thought the whole idea was to challange the player not hand hold him.

An occasional scrawled map to a big city with multiple streets and alleys is okay but maps of mansions, dungeons, castles etc. is unnecessary for me.