The Dark Mod Forums

The Houseguard

Corth

ok, so I'm moving this guy here, gonna post the latest pics I got.

base Hi-res:

HG3.jpg

base Low Poly:

HGLP.jpg

Normal Mapped head: (will be adding hair soon)

normalwip2.jpg

I'm laying out the UV's on the body now, so later tonight I'll have everything else normaled up, and I'll get everything ready for texturing. He'll have hair tonight too ;)

Edited by Corth

I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does he need hair? There ARE people being bald after all and he doesn't look that bad as it is.

Having every house guard bald might look odd though.

Going bald is one thing, but we don't want two or more guatds together looking like a Right Said Fred convention.

. Anyweay, hair helps to hide the head which tends to look jagged and polgonal even with normal maps.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Maybe the Hammerites could be bald because they're afraid of little pagan bugs getting on them. Having a fully shaved Builder order would make them quite distinctive and fearsome in my opinion. Yes, even the eyebrows. Ant the bikini zone. :P

I'm not sure exactly. I'm still not clear on how easy it is to swap heads, or whether we're going to make different full-body versions of each type.

It doesn't really matter how hard it is to do. We still must do several versions, otherwise it WILL look boring. Even in TDS they had some variations and it was still not enough IMO to make it look versatile. You always encountered basically the three same types.

Gerhard

Hey guys, just posting here to let you know how far I am with this guy. I've got the UV's layed out probably the best I can get em, fills up most of the texture sheet, so not much waisted space at all (Yay!). I have the hair mesh in as well, but I didn't make any stray clumps of hair like in the concept, it would have sent the poly count way up.

Black Thief, if you would like to do the textures still, here's a link to a rar file with the UV map for the body in 512 and 1024 resolutions, there's a few things I need to fix on the normal before I send it, but that should be up soon.

I hope you don't mind, but I would like to do the texture for the head :)

HGLP3.jpg

still WIP, and the hair wont be white ;)

note: some of the weird pixels are because of the normal map, which will be fixed!

Edited by Corth

I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

Looking good! The face texture really gives him some character. Is there any way you can accomplish slightly disshelved hair with normals/textures if it can't be done with extra polys? My only complaint now would be his hairline looks too well groomed, but maybe he just went in for the military cut too, which is cool.

YEs, it look fine COrth.

I've already said we should have at least 3 body types per AI, that's a short one a tall one and a fat one,. THat osn't at all difficult, since it can be the same mesh and texure, but the mesh has just been reshaped a little. Sharing a selection of heads is no probelm, that's how it's done in Doom -I haven't looked into the exact method yet, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

ok, fine :) eventhough the link was wrong I found the file it was HGBody.rar ;)

BTW It'd help if you could send me the normalmap, eventhough it isn't 100% finished, because of stuff like wrinkels that should be included into the diffusemap as well.

Edited by BlackThief

I can't start with the details of the diffuse seriously as long as I don't have the normal. So I did only some tests....what do you think about the jerkin? (I guess you call it like that - in german it's the "Rüstwams" - the padded cloths you wear under the armour)

It's a bit different from Springheel's concept and I'd have to change corth's normalmap, but to be honest I really like this version ;)

post-5-1110662303.jpg

Edited by BlackThief