The Dark Mod Forums

Health Display Concept

Springheel

I've been giving some thought to our proposed healthbar, and decided we should abandon it. It's long, unweildy and doesn't really fit with our new lightgem.

Using oDDity's light-gem designs as a base, I came up with some smaller health displays that would go into the bottom left-hand corner. It takes up very little space that way. Here are three different versions. Depending on how much room we need for the weapon display, the top arm could always be removed.

healthbars.jpg

I tend to favour the round one, myself. My thinking was that it be about the same size or slightly smaller than the lightgem itself, tucked away into the corner and only appearing when necessary. It would take up about this much space on the HUD:

work2.jpg

As far as how it would display health, there are lots of options. It could shrink from the top, shrink from the right, shrink uniformly towards the center, or fade out to black (although that last one is too close to the lightgem working for my liking).

I prefer a shrink from the top, like this:

healthround.gif

I know it is a bit of a departure from the classic Thief health display, but I've always perfered a minimalist HUD. What do you think?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That it's a departure is not the big problem. Fading is not really good as you already said it can easily be confused with the lightgem, visually. Apart from that I like that much more then this ugly health bars and they look really good. :) Personally I would prefer 1 or 2. Three doesn't look so good IMO.

Gerhard

In my opinion, number two would be the way to go. It has a nice relationship with the light gem but the different orientation provides a great balance. The round one looks very nice but just doesn't flow as well. Number two just seems to fit. :)

Here is a rough mockup. I say we get the health bar ingame soon. :) It will look really nice in the screen shots.

post-4-1110657569.jpg

I prefer the circle as well.

What about our non-classic lightgem though? Are we doing a separate health bar for that one or what?

I think it would be in our best interest to not do that. :) I think any of these designs will work nicely with both the gems. I believe it was springs intention to use the theme to tie it all together and not have to design separate everything.

These are meant to go with either of the two lightgems. I think I'd vote for #1, but I could easily live with #2.

I like #1, with the gif "emptying" concept (probably a bias from a few fantasy RPGs, like Ultima Underworld :))

Edit! That is, if the health meter is to be shown at all times. I will not hesitate to admit, the vanishing health bar is one decision in T3 that I feel was good.

Edited by SneaksieDave

Yeah, our plan is to have it fade out like T3, but with a key to toggle it on or off.

I think it might be a little silly to provide two options that are so similar to each other. We need to be able to make SOME decisions ourselves.

B)

A simple vote should do it.

I don't like any of them (an option you didn't include)

It looks lazy just to have the lightgem coloured red and used as a health bar, and it's also too big and clunky for a health meter no matter which way you cut it.

The cloned celtic knot motif doesn't work on it either, it somehow looks unecesary and added soley as a blatentt attempt at coherence.

I have some ideas for health meters as well, but I don't think it's urgent.

Cory wants me to work out the Models and anims for the AI ATM< ad I'm getting the new player ams ready and fixing the weapon anims.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site