The Dark Mod Forums

Some question regarding the in-game mission downloader

chakkman

Hi,

i don't know if some of the issues have been fixed with the 2.0 release, i didn't try the downloader in the new version yet, but here's a couple of things i noticed when using it:

• Some mission you can download 2 times. It's the same version of the missions, no updates or whatever.
  • Sometimes, it won't trigger the green hook, which gets displayed when you finished a mission. It says you finished the mission though, in the mission details on the left side, just the hook is not there.
  • Sometimes you will get an error message saying "Mission could not be downloaded, check the file permissions" or something like that. When you try it the next day then, there is no problem.

Also a question: Does the "*" behind a mission name mean there is an update available for that mission?

Is the mission that downloads twice called Old Habits? Are the other problematic missions Thief's Den and Swing? I've been having issues with those three so far. The * is supposed to mean update, if you have an old version of TDM that you've updated, the bad news is that the recommended course of action is to delete problematic missions (stuff missing from the level, black boxes, black textures) and re-download them. There is definitely something weird going on with Swing, Thief's Den and Old Habits though.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I see similar issues, including crashes of the updater after downloading some missions (when reaching 100%).

And yet another one:

I just followed the suggestion made by someone on this forum and deleted ALL missions from the fms folder (and also dropped the textfile with the list) after having upgraded to 2.0 a while ago already.

Now.... where do I get the Training mission and The Tears Of St. Lucia?

Those two do not even show up in the mission downloader.

And running the tdm_updater once again will not bring them back either.

Edited by gnartsch

I can confirm problems with Thief's Den mission. Since I wasn't able to get it through the game, I ended up download it manually. I had to download version 1.2 (via wiki) because I couldn't find working links for 2.0 anywhere. Could the reason for this be the fact that links available at http://www.thedarkmod.com/fmdetails.php?id=24 don't work?

Yes it will.

I've been using the mission in-game downloader and was having difficulty (as described above) so I downloaded what worked and have tried the others over the last few days. Each day I get a few more so figure eventually they'll all come in. However 3 days in a row I haven't been able to get Old Habits (the original: in-game doesn't even list the rebuild) to work, it downloads twice (1 - 100% resets back to zero, starts again then fails)

I see similar issues, including crashes of the updater after downloading some missions (when reaching 100%).

And yet another one:

I just followed the suggestion made by someone on this forum and deleted ALL missions from the fms folder (and also dropped the textfile with the list) after having upgraded to 2.0 a while ago already.

Now.... where do I get the Training mission and The Tears Of St. Lucia?

Those two do not even show up in the mission downloader.

If you deleted all your FM's also make sure you deleted the currentfm file so the game can create a new one, then the training mission and st lucia should once again show up after you retreive them with the updater.

Managed to get Swing and Thief's Den (thanks Biker!), but Old Habits is still doing a download loop, was starting on third attempt when I closed TDM.

Finally got the two standard mission loaded again.

But still the Mission Downloader is not really reliable.

Started off with no missions except for Training and St. Lucia.

Then went to the last page of the Downloader and select The Outpost for download.

Sometimes it works, sometimes the Downloader hangs (TDM UI & sounds freeze) right when pushing the Download button.

Sometimes TDM freezes when reaching ~100%.

Especially for missions on the last page, I get quite often 'Mission could not be downloaded. Check if disk is full or rightprotected.'

But nothing is writeprotected and my disk not even close to being full.

And although it claims it could not download the mission, it gets installed anyway just ok and disappears from the list.

Someone really needs to have a closer look at the downloader code and make sure it does not crash TDM,

which also results in the tdmmissions.info file being deleted.

Whatever is going wrong, TDM must not hang & crash.

"Mission could not be downloaded. Check if disk is full or rightprotected".

This could be the issue with HTTPS links. I upload via my dropbox which only offers HTTPS so all of my mirrors are probably troublesome. :(

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've had the write-protected error a few times, but crashes maybe only once or twice, and it always seemed to be the same missions giving the errors. Thankfully Biker and whoever else has been working on the links has managed to fix that up from what I can tell, but there was an issue, and depending on what caused it, it might come back at a later date.

... but there was an issue, and depending on what caused it, it might come back at a later date.

Exactly.

"Mission could not be downloaded. Check if disk is full or rightprotected".

This could be the issue with HTTPS links. I upload via my dropbox which only offers HTTPS so all of my mirrors are probably troublesome. :(

Even if https would be the issue, it would not explain why TDM states it could not download it and at the same time it gets properly extracted.

EDIT: Overall the download seems to behave much more smoothly today.

But still got a crash on downloading Swing.

In case it help, here the tail of the logs.

[game\Missions\MissionManager.cpp ( 535):DEB (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Found 6 mods in the FM folder.

[game\Missions\MissionManager.cpp ( 663):DEB (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Removed file in D:\Games\darkmod\/fms/_parcel.pk4

[game\Game_local.cpp (4015):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Issuing refreshAvailableMissionList call.

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 712):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Resulting darkmod path is D:\Games\darkmod\

[game\Missions\DownloadManager.cpp ( 95):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Starting download: 15

[game\Missions\Download.cpp ( 75):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Downloading to temporary file D:\Games\darkmod\___missionlist.xml.temp.

[game\Missions\MissionManager.cpp ( 663):DEB (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Removed file in D:\Games\darkmod\___missionlist.xml.temp

[game\Missions\MissionManager.cpp ( 679):DEB (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Moved D:\Games\darkmod\___missionlist.xml.temp to D:\Games\darkmod\__missionlist.xml.temp

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 712):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Resulting darkmod path is D:\Games\darkmod\

[game\Missions\MissionManager.cpp ( 663):DEB (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Removed file in D:\Games\darkmod\__missionlist.xml.temp

[game\Missions\MissionManager.cpp ( 663):DEB (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Removed file in D:\Games\darkmod\___missionlist.xml.temp

[game\DownloadMenu.cpp ( 428):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Will download the mission PK4 to D:\Games\darkmod\/fms/swing1_2.pk4 (modName swing1_2).

[game\DownloadMenu.cpp ( 433):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] URL: 'http://www.southquarter.com/tdm/fms/swing1_2.pk4'

[game\DownloadMenu.cpp ( 433):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] URL: 'http://darkmod.taaaki.za.net/fms/swing1_2.pk4'

[game\DownloadMenu.cpp ( 433):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] URL: 'http://www.fidcal.com/darkuser/missions/swing1_2.pk4'

[game\Missions\DownloadManager.cpp ( 95):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Starting download: 16

[game\Missions\Download.cpp ( 75):INF (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Downloading to temporary file D:\Games\darkmod\/fms/_swing1_2.pk4.

[game\Missions\MissionManager.cpp ( 663):DEB (MAINMENU) FR: 0] Removed file in D:\Games\darkmod\/fms/_swing1_2.pk4

Although the logs indicates that _swing1_2.pk4 got deleted, this is not true.

It is still hanging around in fms with 0KB.

After CTRL-ALT_DEL and bringing up the TaskManager and killing TDM, I was able to use my PC again.

Another try with the downloader and it got downloaded & extracted correctly.

Trapped! still gives 'Could not download mission. Check if the filesystem is full or write-protected.'

But it got downloaded, extracted and added to the list of downloaded missions.

Obviously this confusing, irritating, misleading message is because the language pack is hosted via https?

<localisationPack url="https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7q3ekvzalqpn2no/trapped_l10n.pk4"/></mission>

EDIT:

tried to download Special Devlivery.

The download finished but instead of getting a screen telling me if the download was successfull, I got a blank dialog with just the 'OK' button.

I give you a hint, although I fear that the only 'fix' that will be made will be to correct the mission entries on the server:

<mission id="22" title="Special Delivery" releaseDate="2010-06-09" size="2" version="1" internalName="delivery" type="single" author="Silencium18"><downloadLocation language="English" url="http://www.fidcal.com/darkuser/missions/delivery.pk4"/><downloadLocation language="English" url="http://darkmod.taaaki.za.net/fms/delivery.pk4"/><downloadLocation language="English" url="http://www.southquarter.com/tdm/fms/delivery.pk4"/><localisationPack url="http://www.southquarter.com/tdm/fms/delivery.pk4"/>

seriously..... that code needs an overhaul

Edited by gnartsch

Have the same and haven't figured it out (same version), please share :smile: .

In my fm folder there were to Alberic's Curse folders. One called Alberic, the other called Alberic3. I deleted Alberic and kept Alberic3. If you don't have Alberic3, just delete Alberic and try downloading Alberic's Curse again from the in game downloader. I hope this helps. Edited by SirGen

In my fm folder there were to Alberic's Curse folders. One called Alberic, the other called Alberic3. I deleted Alberic and kept Alberic3. If you don't have Alberic3, just delete Alberic and try downloading Alberic's Curse again from the in game downloader. I hope this helps.

Done, thanks very much. ^_^

• Like 1