The Dark Mod Forums

Random Article of the Day...

lost_soul

Oh, I think Vivaldi is doing very well on his way, even to the point that Google tried to boycott it with discriminatory browsersniffing on Google partner pages and those of Google itself, for example Blogger. This has caused that Vivaldi, in the interest of the user, has dispensed with the UA as Vivaldi, passing it as Chrome, with which suddenly the problems disappeared. Vivaldi is a headache for Google, despite being a browser with little market share yet, but very very good devs.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Haha 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

well had a look at that app you linked, better than orbot on non rooted phones bit heavy on the battery usage the i2p feature leans towards accessing the darknet so carefull there though unless you actually access the darknet sites you should be ok (the option can be disabled). Otherwise a solid vpn/firewall solution for android. Some sites will block access to your phone because they cant spy on you and quite a bit of sites will enforce a captcha because they suspect you to be a BOT for the same reason but if you can live with that it is more than ok.

If you only use the DNScrypt proxie in normal use, there are no problems and give more security if you use WiFi which is not yours. apart it cut of most ads, even in the instaled apps. TOR also is usable in the normal internet, which gives an extra layer of security, but its slow down the speed. I2P isn't for the Dark Web, it's for the decentralized network of user servers, it's not the same, but normaly you don't need it. In public WiFi, with TOR and DNScrypt proxie, any hacker bites into a rock, if he want to intercept you.

You can't acces the DarkWeb if you don't have the TOR browser, capable to acces websites with .onion adress, a normal browser can't do this. The TOR network isn't the same, it only leads your conection through a tunnel of the TOR network, hiding your IP and ISP to the sites you visit in the normal internet.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

I think that there is a TOR browser for Android, but it's not so recommended to surf the DarkWeb with the mobile. Well, the speed depends, but anyway is lower as with the normal conections, due the tunnel of the TOR network leads through several servers. This necessarily slows down compared to your ISP's normal server conection. For this the TOR network isn't so good for streaming services.

11 hours ago, revelator said:

oh i dont wanna attempt that, just curious, also i reckon it would be asking for trouble accessing darknet from a phone 😆 your practically inviting the NSA to be all over your ass hehe.

Yes, the TOR network was created by US defense and secret services as system for secure intern communication. Already is used by them, also by universities and research centers (apart of drug dealers, pedofiles, hackers, weapon dealers, killer services and curious unwary with his shabby insecure laptop with TOR)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even the pro-MS sites aren't pulling punches and reporting stuff like this now.

https://www.neowin.net/news/edge-sends-images-you-view-online-to-microsoft-here-is-how-to-disable-that/

The simple truth is that today, there are two types of people; those who expect this behavior, and those who don't care. And there are vastly more of the latter than the former.

7 hours ago, kano said:

Even the pro-MS sites aren't pulling punches and reporting stuff like this now.

https://www.neowin.net/news/edge-sends-images-you-view-online-to-microsoft-here-is-how-to-disable-that/

The simple truth is that today, there are two types of people; those who expect this behavior, and those who don't care. And there are vastly more of the latter than the former.

There's a third type - people who expect this behaviour and yet still don't care. I'm probably in this group because well, it is typical Microsoft behaviour (which is unfortunately quite common among other tech companies these days), but I don't use Edge so I'm mostly unaffected.

I should note that while I do primarily use Firefox, I occasionally use Edge to check on a site if I think Firefox is having issues with it or for comparison. But after doing this, I always need to remember to delete the Edge tray icon/desktop search app from loading on startup, which adds an autostart entry every time Edge is launched if not already present. It's insidious and really wants to dominate the entire OS if it can. Which is a shame because I generally like Windows as an OS because the framework is pretty damn solid - it's all this shit Microsoft lays on top that ruins the experience.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Apparently it's opt-in though. I don't have a problem with features like this, as long as they are opt-in and clearly explained. Recently I got a smart TV and I was stunned and amazed how non-hostile, straightforward and user-friendly the setup process was. It didn't try to force me to do anything I don't want to do, like connect to the Internet. Instead of saying "let's connect to the Internet", it said "Would you like to connect to the Internet?". And there was a "no" button, not a "maybe later" button. Also it boots up to the HDMI port extremely quickly; even faster than my ten year old dumb TV. It takes 3 seconds at most.

So yeah, there's doom and gloom in my mind about TVs eventually not letting you use the inputs until you opt in to all the tracking, and perhaps coming with a cellular radio for spying that you can't disable, but we are fortunately not there yet.

https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics/privacy/how-to-turn-off-smart-tv-snooping-features-a4840102036/

On 6/13/2023 at 4:28 AM, Xolvix said:

There's a third type - people who expect this behaviour and yet still don't care. I'm probably in this group because well, it is typical Microsoft behaviour (which is unfortunately quite common among other tech companies these days), but I don't use Edge so I'm mostly unaffected.

I should note that while I do primarily use Firefox, I occasionally use Edge to check on a site if I think Firefox is having issues with it or for comparison. But after doing this, I always need to remember to delete the Edge tray icon/desktop search app from loading on startup, which adds an autostart entry every time Edge is launched if not already present. It's insidious and really wants to dominate the entire OS if it can. Which is a shame because I generally like Windows as an OS because the framework is pretty damn solid - it's all this shit Microsoft lays on top that ruins the experience.

If you want to use Bing Chat you can do it only using EDGE..and now also using Vivaldi, which disguised itself as EDGE if you go to Bing Chat. Another middlefinger from Vivaldi to discriminatory big company behavior

heh id worry even more about the management engine built into every cpu out there, in essence you have a backdoor into your PC that cannot be shut by any means other than destroying it. UEFI was a good idea but all good ideas come with a downside if someone wants to use it maliciously.

heh guess i allready knew to some extent based on the fact that corsairs icue does exactly that bricking my friends PC because it crashed the machine before the bios even loads. found that out the hard way when he borrowed my older machine so we could game together and as soon as he installed the icue software it broke mine to, luckily my old machine has a dual bios so recovering it was not to bothersome still ouch.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/23/red_hat_centos_move/

This is what we refer to as a "dick move". Not illegal, but very anti-social. It makes me think of when I was little and I went to a Pizza place that had free peppermints; I would jam quarter after quarter into the arcade and play Street Fighter 2 while eating them. But I was nice; I only took one or two at a time. If I were to just take multiple hand-fulls of them, or perhaps all the contents of the bowl, that would not have been very nice, and similar to what they are doing here.

Remember that they themselves got this software under free and open source terms, and so if someone had done to them what they are doing to others now, they probably would not exist today. Hopefully the community will just dump them and join forces behind Debian.

Charging for the software = fine. Terminating people's contracts for sharing it, when the original authors of the software, like the kernel, explicitly published the software to be shared, is slimy as fuck.

Edited by kano

If you think that funny posts about misfortunes are exclusive to current social networks, as now with the case of the damaged submarine, you are wrong. Here is a compilation of the comments on the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 in the various newspapers of the time.

https://nitter.nl/yesterdaysprint/status/1382501127111933954#m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...