The Dark Mod Forums

Collection of links to editing tutorials

Springheel

Hey guys. I have a task I was hoping someone could help me with.

I'm trying to put together a series of links for new(ish) mappers. If someone shows up with a "Hello, I've done a little mapping before how do I start" message, it would be nice to have a ready-made FAQ to send them to that links to all the best video and written tutorials out there. I don't have time to actually track down all the good links, however, or sort through which are too advanced for newbs.

Anyone with some spare time want to link me to their favourite, "entry to TDM editing" resources?

I have a document lying around I compiled for my own use. I can Puush it and give you a link or just paste it here?

*Edit*

It's in Finnish so I'll just have to translate it... =P

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

Funny, I was thinking an outline/flowchart in the wiki, linking to the appropriate wiki articles of steps for new mappers.

IE, first would be the A-Z tutorial that is the de facto response currently. Included in that section would be story and world setting wiki articles.

Next might be layout/visportal and I can't find Melan's excellant thread currently...ah, here it is http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12568-fiasco-at-fauchard-street/ where he diagrams his making a mission step-by-step.

The final bit would link to the packaging a mission page.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Wouldn't Komag's video tutorials be an even better place to start than the A to Z?

• Like 1

I don't know if the deleted videos rendered it comprehensive but as it stands it isn't. Fidcal's A-Z is very comprehensive though. I think to start with people need a bible like that to read, build on and deviate from as they please, if not only to just go running back to it when they inevitably mess up. It was really helpful and reliable to me, at least.

Has anyone turned the A-Z into a video? I vaguely recall getting hungup on the A-Z tutorial a bit when I was first getting started, either on some terminology or maybe it was my editor not looking the same, and it really hamstrung my progress. Turning A-Z into a video tutorial might help someone.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Turning A-Z into a video tutorial might help someone.

I could do this, but I'm mute, so it'd have to be text-based. By a video I assume you meant one with a charismatic running commentary =P (Komag has a good voice for it)

Edited by Airship Ballet

The problem with video (says the former video editor), is as a medium, video is hard to reference. It doesn't go at your speed (yes there's pause, but usually the problem is it's slower than your brain/listening speed), it's not effectively searchable, it doesn't give you context, and makes it hard to reference multiple aspects of concepts (the very thing mapping tutorials need to convey).

Video is good at expressing basic concepts where simple visuals support a linear dialog.

You'll note Melan's mission creation walk-through thread features complex visuals with multiple text concepts explaining the process. You can view in minutes what took him hours.

But, people learn differently, by reading (*raises hand), experimenting themselves, or observing another--which video obviously caters too best.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Great topic / idea!

Seeing different mappers work their personal methods on DR is the best part of the videos for me, and introducing working techniques that it would've taken many builds for me to concept and grasp.

I can see that these mappers who are making videos are familiar with the program and how to use it, and even simple things for them are spellbinding for me.

I enjoy the A-Z tutorial, and I welcome any videos, I seem to be more of a audio / visual learner so seeing it in action while hearing about it is a godsend for me.

Imagine how it was for the team before any of this existed, they started with nothing!

New mappers like me have a wealth of knowledge online with the wiki, as well as people to go to with questions. Very fortunate.

Searching YouTube for DarkRadiant also gives some results, although it's not brain surgery to do it.

<--Komag tutorial link

The problem with video (says the former video editor), is as a medium, video is hard to reference

Yeah, what would be ideal is a series of short videos to supplement the A to Z guide, that could be linked directly from there. Chapter summaries, almost.

video is hard to reference

Chapter summaries, almost.

The referencing issue can be easily solved with timestamps in the description of videos, or below the video if it's embedded, like I do with FM playthroughs when I can be bothered. Again, I can just follow the A-Z and annotate it as I go, but it depends on whether or not people prefer commentary.

Edited by Airship Ballet

This is one I'd forgotten about...a great little vid for explaining how visportals work and why they're important:

I could do this, but I'm mute, so it'd have to be text-based. By a video I assume you meant one with a charismatic running commentary =P (Komag has a good voice for it)

You're mute? I had no idea (or do you just mean you don't have a mic?). That said, I went to check out your playthroughs, and there's an enterable building at the start of St Lucia's?? :o When did that get there! The more you know.

You're mute? I had no idea (or do you just mean you don't have a mic?).

Yeah, I'm completely mute. I used to be able to talk but nasty business with brain trauma's left me unable to speak. I've got old recordings from when I used to stream, so I could always splice them together into a tutorial that sounds like those automated announcements at train stations =P

It has always been there. :)

How did I never find that? I guess I never needed to use the ahem loot finder option, so it never even occurred to me to check. Will try remember for next playthrough!

Yeah, I'm completely mute. I used to be able to talk but nasty business with brain trauma's left me unable to speak. I've got old recordings from when I used to stream, so I could always splice them together into a tutorial that sounds like those automated announcements at train stations =P

I appreciate the offer, but I get the feeling it would sound really weird... like every voice clip in Arma 2. Thanks for the offer though :)

On a sidenote about video tutorials, they may not be optimal for people with bad internet connections or limited download rates *raises hand and weeps*. Furthermore reading english is much easier then hearing it for non-english people.

However, all in all I think it is a matter of personal taste. I prefer articles.

The A-Z Beginners guide is still the best way to start with. You actually learn everything you have to know for creating a mission. Maybe it would be good to write a A-Z Advanced guide containing information needed for advanced mapping purposes, thus meaning explanations of visportalization, performance consideration, detailing, custom scripting, advanced stim/response features, particle and material creation, and so one and so forth.

It may also be a good idea sorting such tutorials depending on their purpose, for example eye-candy, gameplay, performance, etc...

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter