The Dark Mod Forums

Hi, new user. Some questions about the mod...

Wallace

Firstly, great mod. Im glad I DL'ed it before spending money on the reboot, which looks to need some patching at the least. After having done a few missions, I'd like to clarify a few things.

1) What do the difficulty settings change exactly?

2) How often are new maps released? (on average)

3) How does St Lucia fare on the FPS demands of the other maps? In other words, if I can play that farely well, should I have no trouble on most of the other maps? Is there one in particular map which is a real FPS hit?

4) Is it possible to shoot a rope arrow to a beam I am standing on, and then climb down it?

5) Would it be possible in a future patch, to have the key which sheaths a weapon, to draw it also? At the moment I press F to sheath. It would be more intuitive if I could push F again to get my sword back out, instead of pushing 2.

6) Also has a walk toggle patch been considered? It would be nice to have an option of walking speed being the default speed rather than holding a seperate button. Sorry to split hairs, but I find its the small customisation options which really matter.

Otherwise great mod, its right up there with Tamriel rebuilt and the nameless mod for faithfulness to the series.

Edited by Wallace

Welcome!

I can only offer some input...

1) Difficulty settings affect different things in different missions depending how the mapper set it up. Most it affects the amount of loot needed. If the mapper specifies, it can affect how hard the AIs are to defeat, what items exist or how many/what type of lights exist, etc. Unless the mapper provides details otherwise, you can only judge based on the objectives shown.

2) Springheel has published graphs showing mission release schedules, but recent ones aren't popping up for me now, and I don't seem to be able to search for threads started by a user instead of their posts. This one covers 2009-2011: http://forums.thedar...lease-schedule/

There was a thread a couple months ago covering 2013 though.

There are nearly 75 missions, three in the past two months, with a new one expected in two days and perhaps four more expected this month or next.

3) Saint Lucia is well designed for performance, there are other maps not optimized to perform so well. Which ones show lower frame rates on your system will depend. Multiple things affect performance, and some peoples' systems are bothered more by lots of tris, lots of lights, or lots of AIs, etc. So the poorly performing missions for you will be different than others. Mappers often design around their own systems capabilities, then beta testers provide feedback, but some folks might see lower FPS on their own.

My personal experience, I specifically requested a tester who frequently found maps taxing, it ran fine for him. Another tester looked at performance data and suggested there was room for more elements. One player, ironically whose maps perform poorly for me, found it underperformed for him.

4) Try it! I've never tried shooting a rope arrow under my feet and climbing down.

That's pretty much all I've got, although per (6), walking speed is default, you hold a button to run, and it's a toggle you don't have to hold to crouch/duckwalk. You probably don't want to run much (like in other games), distances here are generally short, and it's very noisy compared to walking.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Firstly, great mod

Glad you like it. :)

1) Pretty much what RJ said. Mappers decide what difficulty levels do in their missions. If you want mod-wide difficult options, you go to the gameplay settings menu.

2. It averages out to about 1 per month, generally, though things have picked up since we went standalone, so that might be increasing.

3. If you get decent FPS in St. Lucia then you should be okay with most maps. Some really large ones are more taxing though.

4. Yes, you can.

6. Walking speed IS the default speed, unless you put "always run" on.

Welcome, Wallace!

5) Do you have TAB bound to anything? I hit TAB frequently and as a matter of course in online multiplayer games so its very easy (for me at least) to quickly tap. Just find a key that works for you and begin to learn using it for this game.

Many other games have occasional differences in keybindings and eventually we adapt and become accustomed to using them to the point were after a while of playing, you play a different game and wish there was a separate sheath key for weapons. :) (I can list a number of other games that have a "holster" key as I'm sure you can too.

Anyway, that's just my two cents, enjoy the mod!

Thanks all, I should have said that the difficulty settings I meant was the one in the in-game options (easy, challenging, hardcore etc..) As far as I've noticed it only effects how much darkness will conceal you. Are there more variables to it?

Also, I thought the default was the walking speed, lets just rephrase my question to is there a toggle for creeping speed?

And Lux, that doesn't really solve the issue as the other weapons will still require pushing the numbered buttons. If you've played any Elder Scrolls on PC, something similar to that would be perfect, where your draw/sheath button are mapped to the same key.

Otherwise thanks, my biggest concern was whether I'd run into many FPS heavy maps. Good to know I should be ok. :)

As far as I've noticed it only effects how much darkness will conceal you. Are there more variables to it?

ATM the AI Vision slider only affects how quickly AI hone in on you when they spot you in the dark.

Also, I thought the default was the walking speed, lets just rephrase my question to is there a toggle for creeping speed?

Ahs, the "control" key I believe? If you want to toggle that, I'd probably suggest using AutoHotKey to set that up.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

5) Would it be possible in a future patch, to have the key which sheaths a weapon, to draw it also?

Sounds convenient but the key would have to maintain a history of which weapon was last used (blackjack, sword, bow, etc). It would usually not be the one to use when drawing again later which will make me have to hit a number key anyway. I like when the key is just used to clear up the clutter in the screen and provide a quick minimalistic display.

ATM the AI Vision slider only affects how quickly AI hone in on you when they spot you in the dark.

Does the slider not have anything to do with the distance an AI can spot you from?

4) Is it possible to shoot a rope arrow to a beam I am standing on, and then climb down it?

The easiest way I've found to do this is to be standing on the beam, and use the lean keys so you can see the sides of the beam, fire the rope arrow into the side so the rope hangs down, then carefully get onto the rope and climb down.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080