The Dark Mod Forums

Any tutorials on how to set up .AF ragdolls ?

motorsep

http://wiki.thedarkm...ies&oldid=17695

That's all I've found, and It didn't help me at all. In wireframe (DR) you position your body; but when game starts, they look crucified. Could not reposition them either. They also were beheaded? I had to scrap what I was doing. I'm not much help. Sorry. :unsure:

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

You need the model and a one frame anim for the pose the af should start at. The rest is described in the tutorials linkied above.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

You need the model and a one frame anim for the pose the af should start at.

I've read this advice before and it's where i got stuck. How exactly do you set up an AF and go about creating that 1 frame anim? I wanted to know a couple of months ago because with a simple AF we could have hollow containers in TDM, e.g. boots you can hide a ring in. I did a good proof of concept using bound caulk brushes, which works well for controlling the contained object, but I could never get the AF set up and you need that for the container to behave right when dropped or thrown. I'll gladly wikify it if anyone spells out how to do it.

• Like 1

You need the model as md5mesh. This also means it must have a skeleton.

The animation can be created in programs which are capable of creating animated models, like Lightwave or blender.

Once you have this, you need a definition and an af file.

Knocked out or dead ai for example are using the same model as the alive ones, but the anim holds them in t-pose and with their eyes shot. The definition file points to the model, anim, af etc. and the af contains the values needed for doom3's physics engine to take care of the rest.

Creating af's is quite an advanced process, requiring some skill and experience.

Not to be obnoxious, but I am not seeing any tutorials following those links. What I see if reference manual explaining settings, and some tips. But in no way you can call that a tutorials or a guide.

The linked pages explain the basic things you need to know. The rest you have to teach yourself by experimenting. ;)

In life you don't get everything on a silver tablet.

BTW, you are not obnoxious :)

@Obsttorte: My issue is that in Doom 3, when you kill an enemy, AF starts from the pose AI died at. With my AF, ragdoll snaps to where waist is for whatever reason. Looking at it in the AF Editor doesn't really show anything odd. But somehow it seems that origin is set to be on the middle of the body at the time when AI becomes a ragdoll.

Can't really help with that, though. Maybe whoever inplemented the ai in TDM can help with that. But I don't know who is responsible for that. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Does this mean you can't take an AI (dead) and say hang them from a hook say through their abdomen (as in

Algerian Hook torture?

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Those hanging bodies were done using an animation, not a ragdoll. Apparently that is more difficult than it looks.

• 3 weeks later...

Those hanging bodies were done using an animation, not a ragdoll. Apparently that is more difficult than it looks.

Sorry to be replying so late to this, but GRIMM has hanged ragdolls, not humanoid based but he used them to simulate cloth drapes, perhaps you can ask the developer how he did that?