The Dark Mod Forums

Outdoor Buildings - Optimising, Visportals, LOD, SEED

Dragofer

I have a manor not unlike the one in the diagram (though the path to the courtyard is a tunnel, which makes it more easily portalled off); the original plan didn't include an accessible roof, but I found the rooftops were quite enjoyable to romp over, so now the player can go up there. The actual portalling was largely dictated by the location system, though: I wanted a wind ambient around the rooftops but not below, so now there's a portal ring around the outer base of the roof.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Couple of random points:

There's another good tutorial you can add to your list. City street visportal tutorial, I think it's called.

Fog can do what visportals do and hide stuff in the distance just like a closed visportal.

You can turn fog off using location scripts to turn the fog light out. There might be non-scripting methods to do the same thing.

You can turn fog off using location scripts to turn the fog light out. There might be non-scripting methods to do the same thing.

Thanks, looking through the forums Obsttorte has made a scriptobject that changes fog density depending on location. It's quite good already especially when you can build your map so that the transitions are subtle, and it can be used in other situations too. But is there a way to have the fog just not render in a location?

Fog can do what visportals do and hide stuff in the distance just like a closed visportal.

Does this need to be set up? I'd check if this happens automatically later on.

Theres one trick from hammer I remember. Essentially you have a brush that is transparent, but after a certain point it becomes less and less transparent until it's filled in and stops rendering what's behind it. Good for windows, not sure if you could do that here.

That could be done using the LOD system to swap the skin of the window to less and less transparent glass as you get further away. It's a good idea, I don't remember seeing this being done in a DarkMod mission.

The old tehchnique for making dense forests in T2 may still apply. I'd call it the kissing-cylinder technique. Make very large 'rooms' with really high walls arranged roughly circularly, then connect them at visportalled 'kiss' points, at angles where other VPs close when you pass through one. Then hide as much of the walls and esprecially edges of the kiss points behind big tree trunks and little trees and foilage, so it feels like you're just passing through trees. And add a lot of trees and foilage in the interior too of course. Then the area feels massively more open than it is. Baddcog's Relic: Left for Dead is a great example of this technique.

Edit. Sorry should have noticed the topic better. Baddcog's FM also shows you how to integrate big buildings into this set up. First, it allows you to isolate buildings into cylinders without it looking like you are. Second, you can let architecture go behind the 'walls' so it looks like they're just disappearing behind trees, but you can seal it so it's out of the leaf. Then the facade pops out in the playable area. And if you use multiple kissing cylinders around the structure you can follow the walls, or have the walls appear at various points, so it feels like a massive fortress.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Another thing to make that T2 uses are big tree branches. Then what you do is make your own trunk out of a patch cylinder and attach the branches to make custom trees. Maybe model big trunks too. But the point us model the trunk and branches separately.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Separately modeled branches: that extra variety would probably have a performance cost, because the branches would need their own draw calls. Must stock model trees need just two draws, one for the woody bits and one for the foliage.

@Dragofer: Fog: I think it should just work. I've read the code but not tested it. You could test it using r_showtris to confirm whether a model stops being drawn beyond your opaque difference.

For really big trees they're separated quite a bit, so you don't even have too many per area, like 3 or so trees fills the whole space. But it's important to arrange branches as you need for your space. Also, you're only talking about 3 or 5 or so branches for the whole tree to give the impression of foilage cover. I'm talking about huge, canopy type of branch structures, not like a single branch. It'd be worth it IMO, and not that much of a hit at all.

It wouldn't make sense for small trees, where you'd want the whole thing modeled as a single set-piece. You should think about big trees architecturally serving as walls and roof which you need to arrange for your space.

The old tehchnique for making dense forests in T2

Great, that would work really well together with Sotha's Easy Outdoors Recipe for efficient .ase foliage bushes/boundaries. (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16159-easy-outdoors-recipe/).

SteveL: fog

I've fired up a foggy map I had lying around, unfortunately r_showtris isnt't affected by the fog. But it's definitely a great feature.

One overlooked option is to use the lod_bias spawnargs.

The name is a bit of a misnomer as it doesn't really bias LOD transitions.

Instead it allows you to selectively spawn geometry depending on the Object Detail slider.

There is currently a bug where solid geometry leaves collision models when changing the detail level

but SteveL made a script that fixes it and it will be fully fixed in v2.04.

It was used for the exterior of Sir Talbots Collateral.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=LOD_Bias

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)