The Dark Mod Forums

The Necrobobicon

Bob Necro

I'll go ahead and trust you re: darkening, Biker.

But... I'm not sure I get the thing about dimensions. They are all power of two, and I'm positive I've seen rectangular textures already in the dark mod. :huh:

Keep in mind that google's galleries auto-resize stuff for viewing, but downloading should yield the intended sizes.

Edited by Bob Necro

They are all power of two, and I'm positive I've seen rectangular textures already in the dark mod. :huh:

That's right, non-square is fine as long as the individual dimensions are powers of two. So 256x1024 is good, for example.

Edit: and yes we do have a few textures that break the power-of-two rule, in which case they'll be resized either by the engine (single-layer textures) or the gpu (DDS textures). Sometimes that looks ok, which it does on the one existing texture where I've seen it, but I've also seen some horrible results when I've let the engine resize my own images.

Edited by SteveL

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you need to use the channels tab in Gimp or Photoshop and paste those into the Alpha channel. Make sure you don't remove the alpha channel when

compressing to DDS.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

There is a material stage to use a separate alpha channel, but I'm on vacation atm so I can't check.

You can use a separate alpha image in TDM. It's useful if you want one version of the texture with holes and one without.

In PS CS2 it seemed to be just a cast of copy and paste into the alpha layer, checked the resulting file in Gimp and I can see a working alpha with feathered edges ^_^

You can use a separate alpha image in TDM. It's useful if you want one version of the texture with holes and one without.

Have a look at the resulting textures and let me know if they are good enough -

- textures/darkmod/decals/stone/sculpted/alcove_hammer

- textures/darkmod/decals/windows/shutters_decal01

Carrying on with the Croatia stuff.

http://goo.gl/photos/Sqemb3cYygQp9pHv8

Includes two textures intended to be used as decals or what have you. Alpha channels provided as separate images for ease of DDS implementation. Just copypaste into the alpha channel before compression.

There's some in here, among other things:

http://goo.gl/photos/UNSXKTkiU49PzRi3A

Done. #14347

Have a look at the resulting textures and let me know if they are good enough -

Something is wrong with the shutter one...it doesn't seem to react to the light of the player lantern at all.

As for the alcove, I don't know whether it's really a good fit...I mean, it's supposed to be an alcove, but it's obviously a flat plane. There's no way it could look right unless it was really far away, and I don't think that's what we want in a core asset.

It's because PNG transparency is implemented much differently than formats that use alpha channels, and is a bit tricky to extract if you don't know how.

If you're able to i'd love to make a request.. If you have managed to get the transparency working I was wondering if you could please make the door seen below. I've tried to build the door in dark radiant just using wood and the glass texture but it just doesn't look right so I was wondering if you are able to make a texture for the glass and food similar to the style below (just much higher quality of course) and then I can just build a the frame around the texture.

I don't have a good shot of the door but this is the best i've found of it

so9cL27.png

Edited by Goldwell

Fair eniugh, will remove these tomoz.

While I see the point of not including the alcove decal in an engine of this advanced level, I'd strongly suggest actually trying to fix the bug with the shutters instead of rejecting it outright. Exactly what happens with it re: lighting?

If you're able to i'd love to make a request.. If you have managed to get the transparency working I was wondering if you could please make the door seen below. I've tried to build the door in dark radiant just using wood and the glass texture but it just doesn't look right so I was wondering if you are able to make a texture for the glass and food similar to the style below (just much higher quality of course) and then I can just build a the frame around the texture.

Can you build anything with the help of these? http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHmWZvs_ns1TGtNMkhpWGFNV28/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Bob Necro
  • Like 1

While I see the point of not including the alcove decal in an engine of this advanced level, I'd strongly suggest actually trying to fix the bug with the shutters instead of rejecting it outright. Exactly what happens with it re: lighting?

Can you build anything with the help of these? http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHmWZvs_ns1TGtNMkhpWGFNV28/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for that, i'll see what I can do :)

@GW, want me to make you a model using the above textures..?

Yes please! (plus I think it would be a great addition to the core mod)

@Springheel, are you happy for me to build an .ASE model or would you prefer to make a .LWO one..?

LWO is preferred

So I decided to try out making the door in-game and.. I think it turned out pretty well. What do you guys & gals think? any pointers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQXFveAOjKs

Here is everything you need for it.. I tweaked the materials file a little and there's the door prefab I built as well as Bobs textures in there (if anyone wishes to take this and use it / improve it please do)

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/ORjRsAhK/file.html

• Like 3