The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ CPU/GPU News

jaxa

AMD Rounds Out Polaris Offerings With RX 470, RX 460 GPUs

Su said that these three GPUs will comprise the entire Polaris product lineup.
The RX 460 is designed with a 75 W TDP, and looking at our images from the press event stage, we noticed that the RX 460 is a single-slot card design with a small air cooler. It lacks a PCI-E power connector, which points to power consumption being safely under the 75 watts the PCI-E slot can provide.
We got a glimpse at the RX 470 board as well, and we were able to see a single six-pin PCI-E connector. This puts the RX 470's power consumption and TDP at 150 W at most, but it could be lower. Looking closely around the exposed GPU, you can see that the RX 470 will not use HBM but will likely rely on GDDR5, instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews of the AMD Radeon RX 480:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview

One thing that pops out immediately is that you are not getting 8 GB of GDDR5 for $200. That option costs $240 apparently. You get 4 GB at a lower clock. Probably not a deal-breaker for most games and resolutions, since this is a mid-end card, and at least it's more than 3.5 GB.

Edited by jaxa

Interesting findings at beyond3D. Someone benchmarked AMD's new triangle rejection tech and found that even back to the 7xx series

Nvidia was far better at rejecting unseen triangles. The 1080 blows everything outta the water in that respect. No wonder it's such a beast.

The RX480 is far better than the previous generation but Nvidia is smashing them to bits with efficiency. AMD is just rendering everything and it's brother,

wasting tons of bandwidth.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmmm thats not good, not good at all. I would however like to know how exactly were they able to measure power draw through the PCIe slot..? I see it says they used an oscilloscope, but it dosent say how they derived the information. I wonder What AMD will have to say about this..?

But I imagine 3rd party vendors wont allow such B$, they will supply thier cards with an 8pin connector I would have thought. But that make me think, I wonder what mt GTX970 is pulling from the PCIe slot.....

Dropped an email to the guy who wrote the article for clarification.

This isn't clear http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,review-33038.html but it seems to lump three power draws together so doesn't help as the detailed graphs are no longer available

This review of the Nvidia 1080 http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,review-33557-10.html indicates that only 40w comes from the motherboard slot

Edited by Oldjim

Ah I see now, very novel. And I see all the nvidia card are half spec almost all of the time, with the occasional spike to still under max PCIe spec. So sounds like users are better off waiting for a 3rd party Rx480 or waiting for a GTX 1060 when they become available...

I'm building a new basic system for myself, eager to test it with TDM (with the integrated GPU) :D

*Intel i3-6300

*Gigabyte Z170-HD3P

*Kingston DDR4 2666 MHz (2x 8 GB)

*Crucial MX200 M.2 (250 GB)

with some old pieces:

*GeForce 750 Ti

*X-Fi Titanium

*Mechanic HDDs

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I want it!

https://imgtec.com/blog/gdc-2016-ray-tracing-graphics-mobile/

Why can't they sell their developer cards to consumers :(

Please make a desktop GPU PowerVR!!!!

• The Gpu in the 6200 wont be upto much.
  • TDM will run quite nicely on this though. (GTX750)

6300 + 16 GB (!) DDR4 @2666 Mhz

In's not that bad for an integrated GPU.....@1920x1080 + full detail:

saintlucia_2016_07_04_17_29_14.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Nice, but what FPS do you get with the 750..?

more :D

But it's not a(n impossible) competition, I want to show that iGPUs are good enough in 2016!

@1280x720 + full detail it's playable :) 35 FPS!

The_Dark_Mod_2016_07_04_17_41_00_735.png

Edited by lowenz

yer not seen a ZEN iGPU in action. But on that note I have an AMD FX 4300 (3.8GHZ) paired with a GTX760 and either I am doing something wrong or a have a corrupt/poorly setup driver as I am seeing half the FPS rates I used to get with the i7 that used to be in there.

Time for someone with an AMD APU to show up and compare?

(The real magic will happen when Zen APU's are out.)

I am waiting for Zen (mobile/laptop) so I will definitely test TDM on it.

Zen is supposedly coming out on the desktop months before mobile, but some of those parts might not have integrated graphics (or the best version). We shall see.

I am pretty sure my A6-3400M (AMD Radeon HD 6520G) would not do as well as an i3-6300 (Intel HD Graphics 530).

Edited by jaxa

yer not seen a ZEN iGPU in action. But on that note I have an AMD FX 4300 (3.8GHZ) paired with a GTX760 and either I am doing something wrong or a have a corrupt/poorly setup driver as I am seeing half the FPS rates I used to get with the i7 that used to be in there.

Oh no, there's nothing wrong there. AMD FX CPU's have very poor Floating Point performance and the Doom 3 engine does a great deal of Floating Point math on the CPU.

If we move to GPU Skinning then you might have better results: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3984. I wouldn't be surprised if my i3 outran your setup if I had the same GPU.

AMD's plan seemed sound (most FP is done on the GPU so remove FP and add more integer cores) but they should've been smart enough to go "Hmm, nobody's gonna rebuild their code

to move the FP operations onto the GPU so we should make our CPU driver do it seamlessly behind the scenes." Of course, that would require them hiring more driver developers which is antithetical

to their whole company ethos. This is why they have such a hard-on for DX12\Vulkan. In those API's the game developer is basically writing the driver for them.

• Like 1

This is why they have such a hard-on for DX12\Vulkan. In those API's the game developer is basically writing the driver for them.

:D

• Like 1

Alas, the whole AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller/Excavator lineup suffer a very weak IPC (Instructions Per Clock), both in integer and float operations - about two times lower than the current Intel CPUs. So please don't be surprised when you see a suspiciously weak results - it's kinda normal :(. Sure, the current AMD CPUs have a lot of cores, but those cores are very weak. Also, not every program can split up its workload evenly on all cores (it's often just two or even one core are/is busy), that's why the current AMD CPUs can show such a bad results.

About Vulkan & D3D12: There was a request from DICE (Battlefield, Mirror's Edge, etc) - to create a low-level console-like graphics API for PC. Since AMD was responsible for the PS4 & XBO APUs, it's naturally that AMD answered "Ok" to DICE and then created Mantle (a Vulkan's prototype). Since the idea was excellent, then MS said, "Hey! What about us? We can do that, too!" That's how D3D12 (a.k.a. DX12) was born :).

Edited by MoroseTroll
  • Like 1

GeForce GTX 1060, starting at $249, available July 19th. "Founders edition" $299.

120W TDP for the GTX 1060 vs 150W for 1070, 180W for 1080, 150W for AMD RX 480. The 1060 uses a 6-pin power connector.

AnandTech's table says 4.4 TFLOPS for the GTX 1060, vs. 2.4 TFLOPS for the ol' 960, 6.5 TFLOPS for 1070, and 8.9 TFLOPS for 1080. If you just divide the prices by the TFLOPS (crude, I know), the 1060 comes out as the best value. It is also said to outperform the GTX 980.

The VRAM is 6 GB. That's an increase from 2 GB on the GTX 960. It's safe to say we have entered a minimum 4 GB of VRAM era, or maybe 6 GB in Nvidia's case. It is clocked at 8 Gbps, just like the GTX 1070. The article mentions that the GP106 part has a 192-bit memory bus rather than the 128-bit bus that would be expected.

Boost clock appears to be slightly higher than the GTX 1070's.

No SLI support!

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

I'm surprised there's no price-fixing investigation with AMD vs Nvidia

Their whole line-ups are stratified to go

AMD perf = X price

Nvidia perf+1 = X price +1

AMD nvidia perf +1 = X nvidia price +1

etc.

They never seem to be apples to apples anymore and instead always seem to have carefully carved-out price niches...

• Like 2