The Dark Mod Forums

Additional mappers required: City mission

Bikerdude

Correction: I would estimate it as around 70% built.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

What might help us decide:

1 - Minimum scripting required, or extensive scripting knowledge?

2 - Story complete?

3 - What type of area(s) is needed to finish it? (Builder church, mansion, streets, etc.)

4 - All AI in place?

5 - Briefing done? If not, what was envisioned? Simple? Complex? Video?

6 - Conversations finished and voice work submitted?

7 - Current map size (any quantitative stats)?

• Like 2

Wrt the mansion, could Springheel's models be usable, or should the mapper stick to the building style used in the current map, for continuity?

(Sorry for all the questions. I'm considering it, because I don't want to see the mission disappear. But I don't want to screw up what 5 people have already put into the project.)

Sure. My comments are in bold red.

1. Minimum scripting required, or extensive scripting knowledge? - lite, its a classic thief city type mission The mission should not require special scripting knowledge.
  2. Story complete? - 70%
  3. Map complete - 70%
  4. What type of area(s) is needed to finish it? (Builder church, mansion, streets, etc.) - medium-large mansion and some nooks and crannies dotted around the map. Unfurnished mansion needs to be stocked. Action mostly takes place on street level; some interiors exist, but they need to be developed and expanded. There is a street section that is a very rough draft. An underground section started to be built, but is unfinished (current story would have featured a small gambling den).
  5. All AI in place? - street patrols, mansion patrols, sewer patrols and then random Ai in the above nooks & crannies. Most AI patrols are still to be implemented.
  6. Briefing done? If not, what was envisioned? Simple? Complex? Video? - needs to be done
  7. Conversations finished and voice work submitted? - No coversations or voicework
  8. Current map size (any quantitative stats)? - TBC YUGE and beautiful

Wrt the mansion, could Springheel's models be usable, or should the mapper stick to the building style used in the current map, for continuity?

The mapper should stick to the map's organic brushwork style. This is really one of the best cityscapes built for TDM, and it deserves to be done justice.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

7 - Current map size (any quantitative stats)?

Brushes - 17232

Patches - 7017

Entities - 3397

Time to walk from one side to the other in real time - 10-15min

Street to hightest point in map in relative RL terms - 60-100 feet.

post-496-0-24187900-1496783500_thumb.jpg

@Grayman, the map is in the betamapper repo and is upto date.

The sewer shot looks beautyful. In regards to you regquest, I can help with the briefing if needed and with any scripting or otherwise uncommon setups if it should turn out it is needed.

What is the status of the readables?

Do you want the mission to have an automap?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• In regards to you regquest, I can help with the briefing if needed and with any scripting or otherwise uncommon setups if it should turn out it is needed.
  • What is the status of the readables?
  • Do you want the mission to have an automap?

yes please to all 3 of those!

A few readables are done, but not many, and (so far) they are all tangential to the main plot.

Regarding readables: I'm no good writer (especially not in english ;) ) but I can help if a uncommon look is needed (like the newspaper gui I did for Springs).

Regarding the automap: I liked the look of the maps I have seen in the maps you both have (co-)authored. However, they weren't always that useful (from my point of view at least). This might be due to the fact that you both seem to not be that reliant on them. I would like to keep the drawing to someone more skilled but would like to give feedback and can create the necessary setup once the level geometry is finished (all vp's/locations in place).

Regarding the briefing/cutscene: Like before I can do the editing but we would need a voice-actor.

Regarding scripts etc: PM me what you need once you need it :)

Before I forget it. I can provide a german translation.

I can have a go at the readables. I just would need to roughly know the contents. I am not really sure, how good my writing is, but if it is not on par with the quality you want, we can just scrap them and someone else can have a go.

Of course, I could also provide the German versions of them, while I am at it.

• 1 month later...

I am putting out another help request due RL effecting people above who offered to help, the build thread is here - http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18923-shadowhides-city-map-building-thread/

And following on from and updating from Melan's post above -

Red - Not Started

Black - Being Worked On

Blue - Need Help

Green - Complete

1. Minimum scripting required, or extensive scripting knowledge? - lite, its a classic thief city type mission The mission should not require special scripting knowledge.
  2. Story complete? - 70%
  3. Map complete - 85%
  4. What type of area(s) is needed to finish it? (Builder church, mansion, streets, etc.) - The west and south west is a very rough draft, an underground section also needs to be build (current story would have featured a small gambling den).
  5. All AI in place? - Most AI patrols are still to be implemented, street patrols, mansion patrols, sewer patrols and then random Ai in the above nooks & crannies.
  6. Briefing done? If not, what was envisioned? Simple? Complex? Video? - needs to be done
  7. Conversations finished and voice work submitted? - No coversations or voicework
  8. Current map size (any quantitative stats)? - TBC YUGE and beautiful

The mapper should stick to the map's organic brushwork style, this is really one of the best cityscapes built for TDM and it deserves to be done justice. With help I can then get around to finishing my speed'ish build

post-496-0-24207300-1501760549_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am putting out another help request due RL effecting people above who offered to help, the build thread is here - http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18923-shadowhides-city-map-building-thread/

That link seems broken. Says "You do not have permission to view this forum." when I click on it - Or shouldn't it be viewable to everyone?

Like Destined, I can also have a try at readables if you guys need any remaining help on that, though I also make no promises about my writing quality.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

Wow that looks great. I'd offer but I'm tied up in mine, and I know nothing about scripting. I think picking up a WIP would be better

to someone more experienced than me.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/