The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

Specifically, I meant a floor in the same theme as mansion_wallpaper06d_d.tga (in whatever single colors you can manage, of course).  Something very plain, understated, with the use of mapping for depth.  But yes!  What you made here will be quite useful too! :)

what do you mean with "same theme" ? same flowers and stuff ? or just the same colour ? maybe it's a communication issue, but I still don't get it :blink:

I'm not sure, how I could add the flowers etc of a wallpaper into a floor/rug-texture....

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway - I made a new panel texture. ehm, something....well just take a look at it yourself. maybe you'll like it - maybe you won't. I know the style is a bit strange, but I thought it's just so strange, that it would fit into the thiefworld ;)

it requiers a heightmap though, then it'll turn out better.

Edited by BlackThief

IT does look good, we need more original themes liike these, but you'd need to make it smaller in-game, maybe a quarter of that size, or else put more detail in the wood texture.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

what do you mean with "same theme" ? same flowers and stuff ? or just the same colour ? maybe it's a communication issue, but I still don't get it :blink:

I'm not sure, how I could add the flowers etc of a wallpaper into a floor/rug-texture....

Plain. :) One color. No fancy decorative pattern. You know, just something like flood-filling a room. And the reason I'm saying "similar to the wallpapers" is so that it is used to blanket a room very very easily - the level designer doesn't have to worry about sizing, about lining things up, about making it "just right." Instead, you slap it down, and it looks like "wow, this room has a nice red (or blue, or green, or grey, or whatever) rug." The reference to the wallpaper is how they're not completely flat, they have some nice relief (bumps, detail) to them. Anything from flowers like the wallpaper, to maybe jump rug-looking bumps.

Basically, I'm saying something simple and plain that looks good. :)

Re: That new texture - holy crap! Awesome!

Yes, absolutely.  It kind of looks like a big set of double doors I saw in an old house years ago.  Would it be possible to convert them to a set of double doors BT?

of course - you can use every texture for doors as well ;)

@ dave - I guess I know what you mean now - what about the carpeting texture I made yesterday ? I can do various versions of it, with the colours of the wallpapers.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, BT, of your many cool-looking textures, this isn't my favourite. It doesn't have the cool 'glowy' effect your other windows seem to have. It almost looks more like a tapestry to me, with little brass bits.

• 3 weeks later...

The unlit version looks very good, but the lit one looks quite strange. First of all. Why would I see a lit window from inside a room? Maybe that is why it looks so strange to me? Also the windows are rather large, and the center of the light is in the middle. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the brightest part more to the top? Such large windows would probably be on a large room also, so I would expect that lights are more on the ceiling. Don't know, what exactly it is, but somehow the lit version is not that great IMO.

Gerhard

@ sparhawk I guess you're reffering to the windows (first time I was reading it was rather confused, cauze you were talking about lit and unlit.

regarding the windows

The unlit version looks very good, but the lit one looks quite strange.  Wouldn't it make more sense to put the brightest part more to the top?

First of all. Why would I see a lit window from inside a room? Maybe that is why it looks so strange to me? Also the windows are rather large, and the center of the light is in the middle. Such large windows would probably be on a large room also, so I would expect that lights are more on the ceiling.

am I a mapper? Do I have to create a new map, that fits to the texture, just for presentation, or what? I appreciate critism, but please remember: the mapper has 100% control over the size of the texture, and can place lightsources, whereever he wants to place them.

Don't know, what exactly it is, but somehow the lit version is not that great IMO.

that's ok - but I'd prefer a more detailed answer, why you think it looks strange apart from the presentation.

@kfmccall thx for the link - I'll check this out.

Edited by BlackThief

am I a mapper? Do I have to create a new map, that fits to the texture, just for presentation, or what? I appreciate critism, but please remember: the mapper has 100% control over the size of the texture, and can place lightsources, whereever he wants to place them.

The lit versions of the windows, have a painted light in it, don't they? Or did you make them partially transparent and place a lightsource behind it?

But seeing the other shot on the outside walls, they look good. It's just strange to have these inside a room.

Gerhard