The Dark Mod Forums

Change Ambient Sound on trigger?

SeriousToni

I've got an ambient sound playing on a region in the game. I wanted to achieve that after a trigger this ambient sound gets exchanged to another ambient sound for that same region. Is that possible to achieve?

Say you start the mission in a city and get to hear city_ambience1.
Then you finish you visit a certain area and that triggers to play city_ambience99 instead of city_ambience1 if you get back out into the city.

I tried adding speakers to the area, but they weren't even playing after getting triggered, plus the old ambient sound still plays along.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Maybe sound override?

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings#Sound_Override

Edit: I tried to get this working myself, but couldn't with the supplied info. The console says the sound override is active, but the regular sound is still playing and the new one is not. I'm probably missing something..

Btw. when the override would work it can also work with speakers:

If you change the override property to another value (not a sound name) such as "1", it will simply turn the system off, allowing the mapper to play a speaker in the silence if they prefer.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

Assuming you're using the location system to play ambients, it should be possible to change the "ambient" spawnarg on that location's info_location entity. The next time you enter the location it should play the new ambient. There should be a setkeyval entity that you can trigger to change the spawnargs of its targets. If the new sound has to start playing while the player is still in the location then datiswous' override may be the way to go.

If you're playing your ambient music from plain old speakers then a different approach will be needed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, datiswous said:

Maybe sound override?

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings#Sound_Override

Edit: I tried to get this working myself, but couldn't with the supplied info. The console says the sound override is active, but the regular sound is still playing and the new one is not. I'm probably missing something..

Btw. when the override would work it can also work with speakers:

Yeah same for me when I tried with a speaker. I tried to add it to the location based system with a speaker that triggers on top. But the speaker didn't react to the trigger.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

4 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Did it work?

I found the problem why my sound wasn't playing at all. I guess it was the Hz of the ogg file that was 48.000 and it was stereo. Converted them and the sound did trigger finally. I placed a few of them with s_omni 1 outside. They then get triggered later in game, since I found replacing the whole ambient too harsh in the end