The Dark Mod Forums

X-Ray Glasses Script Update

snatcher

Iris: X-Ray Glasses Script Update

Hey,

I have fixed & simplified the "Peculiar Lenses" (or X-Ray Glasses) script for "Iris" (current official version) by @Wellingtoncrab

1) With the glasses on, if we use the inventory grid we currently get:

iris-2023-07-28-20-15-28-3265-65-567-27-

I have exchanged:

overlayHandle = $player1.createOverlay(getKey("gui"), ZOOM_GUI_LAYER);

with:

overlayHandle = $player1.createOverlay(getKey("gui"), -1);

And now the inventory grid shows up in the proper layer:

iris-2023-07-28-20-19-26-3264-59-564-82-

2) There's a "Cooldown period" going on when you use the glasses that prevents players from getting the glasses on and off instantly. I personally find it a little unnerving that I am forced to wait when, in example, I put on or remove the glasses by mistake. I understand the reasons why this was done but it isn't well executed (lack of graphical context) and I find it at times a little frustrating and I have removed all references to "xrayGlassesCooldown".

3) There's a "loot_loop()" method that prevents the glasses from moving away from the inventory when picking up loot. Once again, I kind of understand the reasons why this was done but I don't understand why it is limited to a single item and it breaks consistency in example, when players pick up or select a different item. When I first played Iris I was at times puzzled because I didn't understand why glasses sometimes stay and other times vanish and I have removed it.

Find attached to this post the *.pk4 which includes the old and new versions of the xray_glasses script. Download it and place it in "/fms/iris/".

Please note this script will not work in any mission other than "Iris".

zzz_iris_xray_glasses_script.pk4

TDM Modpack 4.0

Written In Stone: X-Ray Glasses Script Update

I have fixed & simplified the "Magic Glasses" (or X-Ray Glasses) script for "Written in Stone" (current official version) by @Dragofer, @Amadeus, @B1k3rdude.

1) With the glasses on, if we use the inventory grid we currently get:

written-2023-07-29-19-07-44-312-83-562-6

I have changed:

overlayHandle = $player1.createOverlay(getKey("gui"), ZOOM_GUI_LAYER);

with:

overlayHandle = $player1.createOverlay(getKey("gui"), -1);

And now the inventory grid shows up in the proper layer:

written-2023-07-29-19-10-28-312-83-562-6

2) There's a "Cooldown period" going on when you use the glasses that prevents players from getting the glasses on and off instantly. I personally find it a little unnerving that I am forced to wait when, in example, I put on or remove the glasses by mistake. I understand the reasons why this was done but it isn't well executed (lack of graphical context) and I find it at times a little frustrating and I have removed all references to "xrayGlassesCooldown". For this to work I also had to edit written_misc.script.

3) There's a "loot_loop()" method that prevents the glasses from moving away from the inventory while (wearing the glasses and) picking up items. Once again, I understand the reasons why this was done and while this script is better than the one found in "Iris" it has its problems: if you pick up an item (other than loot) while wearing the glasses you cannot tell which item you just picked because the inventory quickly switches back to the glasses.

Find attached to this post the *.pk4 which includes old and new versions of the xray_glasses script and written_misc.script. Download it and place it in "/fms/written/".

Please note this script will not work in any mission other than "Written in Stone".

zzz_written_xray_glasses_script.pk4

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

Allow me to complete this exercise by saying there still are issues with the X-Ray glasses in "Written in Stone" when trying to use them along with the Spyglass. Right now the Spyglass is kind of restricted but not too much, and the code to limit usage of the Spyglass is all over the place. This can change, but not today.

TDM Modpack 4.0