The Dark Mod Forums

Nice Readables

demagogue

I love those readables you posted today!

Do you want to talk about how they function? (I might wade thru a search to find out, but since I'm congratulating the team, anyway, didn't think it would hurt to provoke a little elaboration...)

Is it easy to get custom material, fonts, pictures, maps, etc., in them? And the way they are displayed in your screenshot it's as if the engine were actually rendering the readable-info ... but it's probably more likely just a skin for an object custom made to match, is that right?

(also, after just making a candle in T2 yesterday I'd dream to have a flame like that...)

Anyway, kudoos.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Agreed, great graphical elements. I've never seen such a colorful book in Thief games before.

Might I suggest a completely antialiased shot of the same table. I just cant stand seeing the jags anymore. I guess I'm spoiled :P

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Unfortunately you can't have antialiasing on when you're working in the editor for some reason. I do try to avoid the jaggies in screenshots when I can though. :)

As for how the readables work, we're trying to set up a system where you can read posted notes and things like that right in the game world. There will be blank page templates that FM authors can put their own text and images on (or they can just use the provided defaults). Books and other things can be picked up and carried with you, to be read later (in real time).

I have to admit, this is the first screenshot that has truly sucked me into the world the Dark Mod is fleshing out. Now I see that screenshot and I want to look around the room. It is little things like this that make you forget you are playing a game, and those are simply amazing. They look as if I'm looking at a real desk with real manuscripts rather then blank books. The illusion is fantastic.

I have to admit, this is the first screenshot that has truly sucked me into the world the Dark Mod is fleshing out. Now I see that screenshot and I want to look around the room. It is little things like this that make you forget you are playing a game, and those are simply amazing. They look as if I'm looking at a real desk with real manuscripts rather then blank books. The illusion is fantastic.

Yes that its exactly. I felt the same thing when I looked at them, a very distinct urge to dig around in that place.

On the website. Or you can see the bunch of them in my Skins thread in the Texture forum. :)

More like the PDA, although you could also read them in-game by picking up the model (though you couldn't turn pages).

It would be nice if you could turn the pages. Actually, a nice atmospheric effect would be to have a room with an open window, and the pages in a book flipping as the wind blows them... I guess it might be more work than it is worth though, and if you make pages turnable, you are going to have to fill all of the pages with some content...

It would be nice if you could turn the pages. Actually, a nice atmospheric effect would be to have a room with an open window, and the pages in a book flipping as the wind blows them... I guess it might be more work than it is worth though, and if you make pages turnable, you are going to have to fill all of the pages with some content...

Definately not a good use of time and resources. I can hear the reviews now. The gameplay sucked, but the pages sure turned nicely. ;)

Library Sim anyone?

On a more serious note, would you guys (the DM devs) be interested in contributions of original text for the purpose of padding out in-game books and adding 'ambient' literary detail? I would be happy to contribute such material if you are interested. I can affect an archaic style of writing as well as the next guy, and I would like to add some mad inventor style notebook material if you think it has a place...

I seem to have a reputation here for long-winded posts, perhaps I can be of use in producing voluminous background texts ;)

More like a universe writer position. It shouldn't be something specific, related to a campaign. It could include some background in general though. Like if you have a Scientific American in your flat, it doesn't tell specifics about you, but about the universe it exists in.

Gerhard

If so it will probably have to wait until we flesh out the universe in more detail. What we have right now is still pretty general. Something useful for the future though.

Well, if you want Obscurus to start writing books about the universe, wouldn't it be helpful if the universe were actually decided on? The stuff I've collected in the Worldbook thread is pretty general so far. There's still much to discuss.

Why exactly does it need to wait? Is there a specific reason? Maybe because obscurus is heavily used for other stuff, that is absolutely urgent?

We can't write Universe specific content when it isn't finished Spar. If he wants to write generic letters, a diary, or some old womans recipes...then that would be fine. Universe material isn't in the cards yet.

Well, let me know if and when you would like me to submit anything. I'll try and write some stuff this weekend and post some samples if you like. I guess I would need to have some reasonably concrete background on the game universe (like what creatures, peoples, currency, units of measurement, general history etx exist) to really produce anything interesting, but for generic base text I'm sure there is something I could do. I'd like to contribute in some small way, but I'm not ready to make maps yet (no time for that, but I can write text in my spare time at work). If I'm not needed, no worries, just let me know. :)

Personally I still think that this would work, as long as the texts are generic and not neccessarily related to specific events. Even so, we can not possibly limit what kind of events are happening in the universe, because writers will contribute new ideas.

Gerhard