The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Ah, it seems you're ahead of me. I have created a local repository with reprepro and it works, as does your remote repository (I have both 0.9.7 and 0.9.9 available and can switch between them in Synaptic).

I was wondering what the best solution for pushing out new versions was, but it seems like you already have a script which solves that problem. I will try uploading the 0.9.9 deb and using your script to update the repository.

Ah you posted before I could amend my last post :P

Wanted to say that my repository is just an example and it is not nec. correct - its my first time :)

So if you want to create your own rep, feel free to nuke the entire packages directory and replace it with you own version, I don't think anyone will complain if it works :)

Btw, just checked and your FTP login should work now, if not, please retry in 5 minutes :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

My repository is my first time too, I just followed a different tutorial. We might as well stick with yours as it works and has an update process.

I wasn't sure about your instructions for updating the repository, so I just FTPd the new DEB to the darkradiant directory under the default FTP directory so you can move it into the right place.

How do I get a login shell on your server? I tried ssh'ing to ftp.bloodgate.com but I always get permission denied.

My repository is my first time too, I just followed a different tutorial. We might as well stick with yours as it works and has an update process.

I wasn't sure about your instructions for updating the repository, so I just FTPd the new DEB to the darkradiant directory under the default FTP directory so you can move it into the right place.

How do I get a login shell on your server? I tried ssh'ing to ftp.bloodgate.com but I always get permission denied.

Ah, forgot to explain: Sorry, you only got FTP, can't setup additional SSH accounts. And even if I did, the server is FreeBSD, so you can't run things like "apt-ftpsomething" on it. :)

Updating the repo must be done in the following way:

* download a mirror onto your HD (I packaged everything up as packages.rar for convience to get a start, but using FTP to mirror the entire "packages" subdirectory would work, too, plus it can update without reloading everything

* put the .deb file into the proper directory locally (packages/pool/main)

* run "regen_repo.sh"

* use FTP to sync the directory back to the server (it should only transmit the new/changed files)

Haven't tested this yet due to lack of time but it should work. If not, please complain to me :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

For a long time DR did not compile under Linux 64bit. Today I tried it, and wohoo it actually compiled and installed. But when starting it, I get:

te@te:~/src/darkmod/darkradiant$ darkradiant
darkradiant: ../include/imodule.h:227: IModuleRegistry& module::RegistryReference::getRegistry(): Assertion `_registry' failed.
Aborted

That turned out because I had 32bit modules leftovers installed in an attempt to run the 32bit version.

Removing them and DR actually starts! Cool!

So now two questions:

* how do I get the DM modules back (conversation editor f.i.)? The README doesn't tell what the correct switch to configure is (or even that I need one :) Eventually found it in the configure file itself, but it would be nice if users didn't need to hunt around for that :)

* how can I build a 64bit DEB file, or can I give someone the built files who can make a DEB from them?

Ah, I got it.

How do I do the FTP sync thing you mention? The Linux ftp command is pretty primitive, and I don't see any commands for syncing directories.

I am not sure you can do this with the commandline version but I might be wrong. I personally would use:

* KDE: kftpgrabber

* Gnome: use "Places -> connect to server" or use Nautilus as FTP client (I don't have Gnome, thats what I found in 5minutes reading the ubuntu forums :D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241559

There is also "ncftp" (commandline version). You can also use "Midnight commander" (package "mc"), if you are working a lot on the console, it's a must-have,anyway and it should do a seamless "remote directory", I just haven't used that feature yet :)

Last resort: I tried it with Firefox, but it doesn't seem to work at all.

Edit: Found this one: http://mipagina.cantv.net/lem/perl/ftpsync (save as) it is a Perl script that can sync directories from server <-> local. Should come in handy :)

* how do I get the DM modules back (conversation editor f.i.)? The README doesn't tell what the correct switch to configure is (or even that I need one :) Eventually found it in the configure file itself, but it would be nice if users didn't need to hunt around for that :)

Whenever I compile a source tarball the first thing I do is ./configure --help to check out what options are available. The --enable-darkmod-plugins option is listed here, so I never felt it necessary to add it to the README (it would only get out of date).

* how can I build a 64bit DEB file, or can I give someone the built files who can make a DEB from them?

I don't know anything about 64-bit building specifically, but if this is your default architecture I suggest just running dpkg-buildpackage in the darkradiant directory and see if it spits out a 64-bit DEB at the end.

* Gnome: use "Places -> connect to server" or use Nautilus as FTP client (I don't have Gnome, thats what I found in 5minutes reading the ubuntu forums :D

For some reason this doesn't work with your server, I always get an "Invalid response" error rather than a pasword prompt.

There is also "ncftp" (commandline version). You can also use "Midnight commander" (package "mc"), if you are working a lot on the console, it's a must-have,anyway and it should do a seamless "remote directory", I just haven't used that feature yet :)

I'll try one of these, thanks.

Does RSYNC work on Bloodgate at all? This ought to be a more efficient way of syncing directory trees.

Whenever I compile a source tarball the first thing I do is ./configure --help to check out what options are available. The --enable-darkmod-plugins option is listed here, so I never felt it necessary to add it to the README (it would only get out of date).

The problem is I didn't know "./configure --help" :( I just run configure with a mix of (clearly invalid options) and it never complained, it just works spits out at the end that it won't build the modules.

Ah I see:

./configure --with-darkmod-plugins

is valid syntax, it just doesn't do what I though it would :)

I don't know anything about 64-bit building specifically, but if this is your default architecture I suggest just running dpkg-buildpackage in the darkradiant directory and see if it spits out a 64-bit DEB at the end.

It says this:

te@te:~/src/darkmod/darkradiant$ sudo dpkg-buildpackage
[sudo] password for te:
dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
dpkg-buildpackage: source package darkradiant
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.9.9
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by orbweaver <orbweaver3d@gmail.com>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: build-essential
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)

Hm?

Edit: "sudo apt-get install build-essential" solves it and now it does a lot of work. Stand by :)

Midnight Commander did the trick, with its "Replace files if size differs" synchronisation option.

Do we really need that packages.rar file though? It takes ages to upload on an ADSL connection, because the complete archive has to be replaced not just the new DEB.

Edit: "sudo apt-get install build-essential" solves it and now it does a lot of work. Stand by :)

Output is:

dh_builddeb
dpkg-deb: building package `darkradiant' in `../darkradiant_0.9.9_amd64.deb'.
signfile darkradiant_0.9.9.dsc
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `/home/te/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
gpg: skipped "orbweaver <orbweaver3d@gmail.com>": secret key not available
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available

dpkg-genchanges  >../darkradiant_0.9.9_amd64.changes
dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
dpkg-buildpackage: full upload; Debian-native package (full source is included)
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Failed to sign .dsc and .changes file

and:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root	  654 2009-01-10 15:12 darkradiant_0.9.9_amd64.changes
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  4146492 2009-01-10 15:12 darkradiant_0.9.9_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root	  467 2009-01-10 14:48 darkradiant_0.9.9.dsc
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 97618259 2009-01-10 14:48 darkradiant_0.9.9.tar.gz

Looks good :) Should I upload these files to bloodgate?

Edit: Uploaded into the darkradiant folder, except the 97mb tar.gz, don't thin we need that. I need to go shopping, Orb if you want to include the 64bit into the repro, feel free, I wil test later if it works. If you don't have time I have a go later :)

Midnight Commander did the trick, with its "Replace files if size differs" synchronisation option.

Do we really need that packages.rar file though? It takes ages to upload on an ADSL connection, because the complete archive has to be replaced not just the new DEB.

No I was gonna remove it but had decided to wait for the DR compile. Sorry :) I nuked it, snycronicing should do the trick.

Okay, now added Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.1) and amd64 to the repository on bloodgate, but haven't tested it yet.

OK, it looks like you did this just as I was synchronising, so hopefully the repository is still OK.

I think so, but I can re upload my local copy just in case.

Also:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Repository

And:

post-144-1231600566_thumb.png

:)

I installed DarkRadiant 0.9.9.1 today (after reinstalling WinXP) and found that it hangs when I load an existing map and try to select something (nevertheless, when I create a new map, I can create and select objects rightly, but until I save and load it).

After that I had to revert to DR 0.9.8.1 - it works properly.

I installed DarkRadiant 0.9.9.1 today (after reinstalling WinXP) and found that it hangs when I load an existing map and try to select something (nevertheless, when I create a new map, I can create and select objects rightly, but until I save and load it).

After that I had to revert to DR 0.9.8.1 - it works properly.

Exact reproduction steps?

Is this related to the "Viewport lockup" issue as described in the other thread?

@greebo: Now that we have the APT repository, do you want to put a link up on the DarkRadiant website along with the Windows downloads? I guess this could either be the APT line itself, or a link to another page with instructions.

The APT URLs are:

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages gutsy main
http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages hardy main
http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages intrepid main

Although I'm not convinced that the Gutsy/Intrepid ones will work, since I've only ever compiled DR on Hardy. @Tels: have you tested the package(s) on Gutsy and Intrepid, or are those repositories only there for proof-of-concept?

@greebo: Now that we have the APT repository, do you want to put a link up on the DarkRadiant website along with the Windows downloads? I guess this could either be the APT line itself, or a link to another page with instructions.

The APT URLs are:

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages gutsy main
http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages hardy main
http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages intrepid main

We also have a wiki page describing how to use them.

Although I'm not convinced that the Gutsy/Intrepid ones will work, since I've only ever compiled DR on Hardy. @Tels: have you tested the package(s) on Gutsy and Intrepid, or are those repositories only there for proof-of-concept?

No, they are untested. Don't have anything else than hardy here at home, but I can try intrepid on Monday at work. Also could try gutsy in a vmware on monday, too.

So far I am waiting for the first user to yell that it doesn't work :)

I'm a bit confused about what exactly I should add. Should I just link to the APT repository or do we want to have a separate page describing how to retrieve the packages? For the Windows releases, it's just a link to the .exe - what would users expect here?

I'm a bit confused about what exactly I should add. Should I just link to the APT repository or do we want to have a separate page describing how to retrieve the packages? For the Windows releases, it's just a link to the .exe - what would users expect here?

Best link to that page:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Repository

A link to the repository instructions (such as those on the page Tels created) is pretty standard. Here is the equivalent page in Wine:

http://www.winehq.org/download/

I guess we should add some user-friendly Synaptic instructions on our page as well, for users who prefer to use the graphical tools.

No, they are untested. Don't have anything else than hardy here at home, but I can try intrepid on Monday at work. Also could try gutsy in a vmware on monday, too.

In that case I'm pretty sure Gutsy won't work, since the libraries will be too old. I suggest only providing APT lines for those packages we know work (i.e. just Hardy for now) until we can test on each distribution.

In that case I'm pretty sure Gutsy won't work, since the libraries will be too old. I suggest only providing APT lines for those packages we know work (i.e. just Hardy for now) until we can test on each distribution.

I'll have a go at it tomorrow evening.

In 9.9 when you type to search while in texture or model viewers you now have to hit enter instead of being able to close the text box by clicking on the texture, I'd rather have it the old way.

Also I still get an un-resizable entity viewer window and I cannot see the okay button because the window it too large.

The texture alignment is awesome now, but I've noticed it doesn't line up properly around corners when rotated 90 degrees.