The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Yes - exactly the problem I had for the last 18 months on my XP 32-bit machine with 2GB RAM & NVidia FX5900. It was extremely difficult to work that way and larger maps I couldn't really have both DR & TDM running together at all.

This was one of the main reasons I bought a new PC with Vista 64-bit 8GB RAM AMD quad-core and now they work fine together and sometimes I open two instances of DR if I want to refer to another map.

Hmm seems to be an xp problem?

I'm considering putting the windows 7 beta on my desktop.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I have a quad 2.4ghz q6600 and 4 gigs of ram

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Can't be RAM then as 4GB should be more than enough. Unless you have some bad RAM or a lot of stuff in the sys tray. Nor the processor. Hard to think it could be the graphics card. Mine is Nvidia GTX280. But also I cannot believe it is anything to do with XP. There must be many here using XP over the last 4 years without this problem. This is strange.

Does anyone else here do multimonitor?

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

It's not about multiple monitors, as I get the problem without that setup. My guess is some point along the way either the demands accumulated and became too high, or some bug in GTK or whatever crept in. The reason I say this is because my system hasn't changed, and yet I used to use DR and D3 side by side all the time as normal procedure, no problems, early in development. At some point, something changed, then everyone (including myself) starting speaking up about DR and D3 killing each other, competing for resources. Something changed.

It's not about multiple monitors, as I get the problem without that setup. My guess is some point along the way either the demands accumulated and became too high, or some bug in GTK or whatever crept in. The reason I say this is because my system hasn't changed, and yet I used to use DR and D3 side by side all the time as normal procedure, no problems, early in development. At some point, something changed, then everyone (including myself) starting speaking up about DR and D3 killing each other, competing for resources. Something changed.

You know, with the GTK I'm wondering if that might be the culprit.

I remember when .9.9 released, if I had a webbrowser open in front of my screen with the 2d grid and the pull down menus, the browser would artifact into where the menus were. So instead of seeing the pull down menus at the top, I'd see what was left on my webbrowser, glitching over into DR.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

• 2 weeks later...

Possible Windows 7 beta bug.

I Put an invalid value in fs_game_base or fs_game and it crashed. So I tried to go into it again, it asked me if I wanted it to rename the user xml file, I clicked yes. Than I tried to erase the paths I put in and it still crashed no matter what.

Uninstalling won't clear this, what file do I delete to reset everything back?

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

It's the user.xml file in your C:\Users\HappyCheeze\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant folder, which keeps the settings. You can also try to wipe everything in there, which will also clear your shortcuts, filters and colour settings.

That fixed it from constantly crashing.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I noticed a glitch with the latest SVN build, but it's nothing that important. When I made a new map, I clicked on the top down ortho view to make a brush, but there was a 1-2 second pause before it started drawing it on screen. Every subsequent brush that was I drew out instantly popped up on screen though.

So I deleted all the brushes to see if I could reproduce it and sure enough it happened again, the very first brush would take 1-2 seconds before it showed up on screen even if my mouse was already halfway across the view.

If it happens again later on today I will make a short video and post it on youtube.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hmm that makes sense the first time you do it, but in the same DR session (i.e. without closing DR or creating a new map) if I delete all brushes it does the same thing. I'll check it out tonight, it's not a big deal though, I just never noticed it before.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Two things:

1.) Nodraw is considered visportal in the filters, is this intentional? Why is it in both nodraw and visportals?

2.) In the sound browser, the play button is always greyed out. I have to go into the sounds folder to preview them.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

1.) Nodraw is considered visportal in the filters, is this intentional? Why is it in both nodraw and visportals?

Well, as a visportal is 1 face "visportal" and 5 faces "nodraw" it makes sense to include it, because otherwise only one face of the visportal brush would be filtered. That's not what one would want, is it?

2.) In the sound browser, the play button is always greyed out. I have to go into the sounds folder to preview them.

You need to select a specific sound file from the list in the lower left of the sound shader browser. Then the play button will become sensitive.

Well, as a visportal is 1 face "visportal" and 5 faces "nodraw" it makes sense to include it, because otherwise only one face of the visportal brush would be filtered. That's not what one would want, is it?

hm I never thought of it that way.

You need to select a specific sound file from the list in the lower left of the sound shader browser. Then the play button will become sensitive.

OOOOOOOOOOOH!

I understand now!

hehe :rolleyes:

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

You can always modify the filter yourself or make a new one is probably better to avoid having to redo it every time you upgrade DR. If you open in a plain text editor:

DarkRadiant\games\doom3.game and search down you see the visportal filter like so...

<filter name="Visportals">
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/editor/visportal" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/nodraw" action="hide" />
	</filter>

To make it a visportal surface only filter just delete the nodraw line so it looks like...

<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/editor/visportal" action="hide" />
	</filter>

But probably better if you use the editor in DR's filter menu (at the bottom) Add a new filter and call it say VisportalOnly. Then in the material column edit it to "textures/editor/visportal". It's awkward to type in there because the column won't widen so maybe just paste it in. The filters you make in there are saved separately and survive upgrades.

You can always modify the filter yourself or make a new one is probably better to avoid having to redo it every time you upgrade DR. If you open in a plain text editor:

DarkRadiant\games\doom3.game and search down you see the visportal filter like so...

<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/nodraw" action="hide" />
	 </filter>

To make it a visportal surface only filter just delete the nodraw line so it looks like...

</filter>

But probably better if you use the editor in DR's filter menu (at the bottom) Add a new filter and call it say VisportalOnly. Then in the material column edit it to "textures/editor/visportal". It's awkward to type in there because the column won't widen so maybe just paste it in. The filters you make in there are saved separately and survive upgrades.

Its not really an issue for me, I just was wondering why it was so, and now I know why.

But thanks anyway :)

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I've no idea how much work it would be but having the play button immediately ready to play the first sound in a folder would improve userbility no end. Can that be changed?

In DR (darkradiant-0.9.11pre1.x64) I have fs_game_base darkmod and fs_game startmap. I get an error when trying to insert a prefab: Folder contents can't be displayed: doom3\startmap\prefabs. I can navigate to the correct folder though.

Hard to read long prefab names like readables because prefab dialog keeps forcing size at every selection. I can see the selection name above the viewer port but I'd rather read a list than select everything one by one just to read the list. It would be a lot easier if it just showed the viewer window all the time (even when a folder is selected) and leave the size alone. I can then force the size to how I want it (large) by an external window manager.

I don't think the file dates have ever shown in any of the dialogs in this 64-bit version.

Shall I add all three to tracker?

[edit] meant to add this screenshot..

post-400-1234878095_thumb.jpg

As for the long prefab names: there is a lot of redundant information in those filenames: the prefab "book_open_static_hand_andew_script.

pfb" is already located in the folder books and open, so why do we need to include this in the actual filename again? What's the point of the folders then, if all the info is in the filename?

As for the preview: yes, I can make it always show, is probably better. Don't know about the "modified" stuff - I think this is working on my end, I'll have to check.

As for the long prefab names: there is a lot of redundant information in those filenames: the prefab "book_open_static_hand_andew_script.

pfb" is already located in the folder books and open, so why do we need to include this in the actual filename again? What's the point of the folders then, if all the info is in the filename?

I gave it a lot of thought at the time and decided to make it absolutely clear at the point of selection. Too late now anyway, far too many to change. :)

As for the preview: yes, I can make it always show, is probably better. Don't know about the "modified" stuff - I think this is working on my end, I'll have to check.
May be a Vista setting at my end? Could Explorer settings affect this?

• 2 weeks later...

Moving around in a map via the arrow keys is acting different from previous. It used to be that you could move around in a map with arrow keys the way you'd walk through a map in-game, for instance to get a feel for it. Now, after holding down the arrow for more than a second, it accelerates to some super high speed, I assume intended as a convenience, like when spin controls speed up when held down. Unfortunately, this removes the ability to "walk" through the map (and makes meaningless Prefs | Camera | Movement Speed). Is there a setting we can use to change this back?