The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Would it be possible to allow rotation within the texture tool? That would make it much easier to align textures :)

Creating a func_Static of patches and converting back to world deletes the patches making them impossible to get back.

edit:wait no, it switches the layer to default I think. My mistake.

A couple of things to report with latest SVN build;

1) You can use the CSG Subtract to remove door entities created from brushes.

Steps to reproduce.

1) Draw out a brush

2) Right Click in any ortho view and click "Create Entity"

3) Choose: "atdm:mover_door", and click "OK"

4) Surround the new door entity in another brush

5) Click on CSG Subtract, the door entity is now gone.

This shows up in the console:

CSG Subtract: Subtracting 1 brushes.
CSG Subtract: Result: 0 fragments from 1 brush. 
brushSubtract

Looks like DarkRadiant is not recognizing it as an entity.

If I open the Entity Inspector with the Door selected I get

classname atdm:mover_door

name xxxxxx

model xxxxxx

origin xxxxx

The x's are just an example.

Also I'm finding it really annoying to have to manually adjust many textures one at a time after I'm done cloning say a ton of steps or railings. Is there a way to randomize the the texture maps on multiple brushes/patches?

Here is my dilemma in picture form:

railing.th.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah we all get that. I usually select alternate or every 3 and scroll them along then select ones in between. Just to get started. Then scroll a few that look obvious. If some are the same but they are like 3 or 4 further along then it is not so obvious. However, what you suggest I think it might be a good feature. Imagine you select 20 beams and hit a randomize button on surface inspector. It scroll them all randomly. Might be two buttons actually, randomize horizontal and randomize vertical. So you can just hit one if it has an edge like planking or both if both directions wanted.

Yeah that's what I've been doing to fix that issue, move some around, sometimes I'll select every other one, then rotate 180 degrees, then randomly select several and move it's texture alignment in the Surface Inspector.

But to think, I have at least 400 railings to do atm, and lots more to come, although I can live with it as the coders are way to busy fixing real issues, so maybe after release or if they have time they can maybe add it in. :)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Greebo, do you have any objection if I remove the optional "help icon" column from the entity inspector? The tooltips seem to work whether the column is visible or not, and it doesn't seem obvious to me why a user would want to activate an optional help icon column.

Greebo, do you have any objection if I remove the optional "help icon" column from the entity inspector? The tooltips seem to work whether the column is visible or not, and it doesn't seem obvious to me why a user would want to activate an optional help icon column.

I originally had it there to help the documentors seeing which spawnargs are already documented and which still need to have their editor_* args added.

I don't have any other objections apart from this one, so if it's causing pain, just off it goes.

OK, well if it is potentially useful during development I will leave it in; I think we should probably remove it before final release to users though. Perhaps there is a case for a MOD_DEVELOPER_MODE #ifdef or something, which activates features like this which are more useful for mod developers than end users?

Perhaps there is a case for a MOD_DEVELOPER_MODE #ifdef or something, which activates features like this which are more useful for mod developers than end users?

Well, I'm open to and I can live with anything. I didn't get any feedback on that feature anyway since it has been released in 0.9.12 iirc, so I don't think much is lost if we remove that.

I'm a bit cautious when it comes to IFDEFs, because they use to stay deactivated for long timespans and after refactorings they usually end up broken/not compiling when somebody decides to switch the IFDEFs on again. I'd rather have it in an ordinary "if" statement than to have it commented out, basically, but as I said, I can live with anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is already known.

DR v1. downloaded 20 May. 64-bit. Vista 64. F3 crashes to desktop. Tried it in another simple map. Crashes. I'm personally not too concerned because I rarely use F3 but I wanted to scroll a texture and it only shows in-game. I think it's one of these were there is detail on the specular or bump map.

Initially I tried it 2 or 3 times on maps/train_locks.map. Then I tested it on test/chest_sync.map with the same result so I assumed it's the same on all maps.

Funny that F3 I don't see on any menu btw. It's kind of a hidden feature in a way, unless I missed it somewhere.

F3 to activate the render mode? I guess the GUI equivalent to this is the camera mode setting in the Preferences dialog, but I agree this isn't very accessible.

I was thinking of adding a toolbar to the camera window with various render options; one of these could be a toggle between preview and lighting render modes.

• 2 weeks later...

I imported my complex desk prefab to extract one or two components. I put it into a layer named desk. Later, I select the layer and hit Backspace to delete and it always crashes to desktop. I've saved this map version and the .darkradiant file for ref in case it wants investigating but meanwhile I'll press on and delete it by selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember how to turn off those input boxes in Entity Inspector? The ones like for target. They force a wait of several seconds whenever I select target etc. and I don't really use them when there is an input just above anyway.

Several seconds, in most recent builds, just to select a target? I guess I haven't been in large enough maps to see that effect, but that sounds highly undesirable. IIRC there was an xml change you could make to do that? Something like that. Gotta go see how bad this is...

Edit: I see. I've opened heart.map (without peeking!) and when you select the target field, I get about a 2.5 sec delay (each time). Then it can be used normally, typing in or using the dropdown. The dropdown has another second or two delay before opening. All in all, not too bad, and it's a decently large map from the counts. Though the question does come to mind -- why does the first (2.5 sec) delay happen at all? If the dropdown has to build a list of all entity instances, it's understandable it has a delay, but just clicking the target field -- not doing anything further; you could type a new target by hand if you wanted -- shouldn't have to do that, I'd wager.

@devs: is the load of building a list being shuffled off to the act of selecting that field? Perhaps for the sake of being ready for autocompletion in the dropdown? Or is it just a bug perhaps?

Also, can that dropdown get a scrollbar? Would make it much more friendly for long lists, both in finding the correct item and in getting an idea how long the list actually is.

Must be some difference because when I do it I get it every time. Example: I have a trigger with 6 targets. I click on target2 - wait several seconds. Then I click on target 4 - wait several seconds. then I click on target2 again - wait several seconds. On another entity, click on bind - wait several seconds. click on name - Instant. Click on bind again - wait several seconds. As you can imagine, this is slowing me down.

I recall long ago changing a setting but can't remember what. How do we even look that up in a reference? How do we search for it? In fact, I suspect I've done it twice in the past and had to ask the second time again. :blush: I'm not sure why that second input box is there. There is a text input field above for exactly the same thing.

Been searching through and it might be these lines in game/doom3.game

<property name="target" category="Links" type="entity" />

I'm not sure but I think you delete 'entity' to leave just ""

I'll try it. Fingers crossed it's not used for anything else.

Must be some difference because when I do it I get it every time.

No, I do mean that as well -- each time selecting that field causes a pause. I imagine that might have to stay, since the list of entities is constantly changing/updating. However, what I don't understand is why just selecting the keypair causes the pause at all. I understand the pause when opening the dropdown (it has to prepare the list), but not the pause just for clicking the keypair; that's unfriendly. I was guessing above though that it might be necessary for the dropdown's autocompletion. If not, perhaps it's a bug.

I'm not sure why that second input box is there.

The dropdown has autocomplete which is quite handy. Go into the box, don't use the down arrow, but instead type "guard" and it'll show you all entities with that as the starting string.

I'd look in the xmls in the folder for target maybe? I'm positive there are posts by greebo about doing such hacks to them. Unfortunately we can't search for 3 letter words on the forum.

Edit: Wow I was double-ninja'd on that one!