The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Yes, this sounds like an issue - please add that to the tracker.

The problem is that the cap cylinder algorithm doesn't "know" when it's used on cones - they are technically the same. An additional check is in order to recognise these cases, I assume.

OK, now added.

Yes, I agree with Tels that if at least Ctrl+S could be excluded from the trap it would be helpful. I hit Ctrl+S all the time in many different programs so it's like a reflex action.

Well, theoretically it's possible to bind the "Save" command to something else. I'd need to implement more sophisticated checks in that function and this is a road I didn't bother going down. It would make the code even more hack-ish (I would have to catch both key up and key down events, comparing it to all available command shortcuts, check the modifier state plus checking which event (up or down) the actual save command is reacting to), I try to avoid that wherever possible in DarkRadiant coding.

I gather, it is really that annoying that it warrants special-case coding?

I see the problem. Leave it a while and see if I get used to it. Ctrl+S,X,C,V are standard Windows shortcuts I use all day long without conscious thought (like walking) - one reason is they are handy to the left hand while still using the mouse. I'm doing it many times while I'm typing this is in a text editor for instance.

My concern is that a few times I have dmapped and mapped and been puzzled that I do not see my most recent changes. That is an annoyance. Of greater concern is that sometimes I leave DR open for hours after I have finished with it. Occasionally, not often, when I do go to close it I get the 'save first' reminder and I override that because I cannot believe I would not have saved because I know I finished what I was doing and that it is more likely I caught a key or did a quick test of something later. That sounds dangerous but it's also dangerous to save it and assume I didn't save because I might now be including something I don't want! But now, when I see this message I will be in doubt and have to wonder 'did I think I had saved but it didn't?'.

So, it's a concern but see how it works out over the next few weeks.

I see the problem. Leave it a while and see if I get used to it. Ctrl+S,X,C,V are standard Windows shortcuts I use all day long without conscious thought (like walking) - one reason is they are handy to the left hand while still using the mouse. I'm doing it many times while I'm typing this is in a text editor for instance.

My concern is that a few times I have dmapped and mapped and been puzzled that I do not see my most recent changes. That is an annoyance. Of greater concern is that sometimes I leave DR open for hours after I have finished with it. Occasionally, not often, when I do go to close it I get the 'save first' reminder and I override that because I cannot believe I would not have saved because I know I finished what I was doing and that it is more likely I caught a key or did a quick test of something later. That sounds dangerous but it's also dangerous to save it and assume I didn't save because I might now be including something I don't want! But now, when I see this message I will be in doubt and have to wonder 'did I think I had saved but it didn't?'.

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying. You forget to save your map? Do you have autosave enabled?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

.>

Why don't you close DR when you are done with it? Go to File->Save and when it's done click the 'x' and then you won't have to worry about this stuff. So DR is telling you that you have unsaved changes to your map and you don't save, and then wonder why those changes don't show up in your map after you DMap? I don't see a problem here then.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

No, no - I do save. I might be using DR on and off for hours. I do some work, save, and go away and do something else. When I return DR might still be open. Maybe I do some more work in it. Go away. Later I read about something, do a little test in DR to check it out. Leave it. Go away. At some point I close it and get the challenge 'save?' but I know that I've already saved anything that matters so no problem - I override that and just close. Because I was confident that I know I saved. I hit Ctrl+S so often my fingers blur. In fact it would be more dangerous at this point to save again because I might have done a little test like dragging out a brush, cloning something - just like scribbling in any editor.

But all that has now changed because I cannot be so confident I have saved even if I know for certain I used Ctrl+S.

No, no - I do save. I might be using DR on and off for hours. I do some work, save, and go away and do something else. When I return DR might still be open. Maybe I do some more work in it. Go away. Later I read about something, do a little test in DR to check it out. Leave it. Go away. At some point I close it and get the challenge 'save?' but I know that I've already saved anything that matters so no problem - I override that and just close. Because I was confident that I know I saved. I hit Ctrl+S so often my fingers blur. In fact it would be more dangerous at this point to save again because I might have done a little test like dragging out a brush, cloning something - just like scribbling in any editor.

But all that has now changed because I cannot be so confident I have saved even if I know for certain I used Ctrl+S.

Oooooh I get what you're saying.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Trying the entity viewer a bit, some thoughts (and one issue so far: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1558 ):

1. I start up and go to the entity browser. Note the memory level (for the record, 113k). Then I load an AI, the builder forger. There's about a 3 second wait on my system, then memory goes up to about 131k, okay. I close the browser; the memory doesn't return. This is not suprising, as I wouldn't expect it to unless there was a specific unload or flush command either under the hood or performed by the user (e.g., flush and reload shaders -- reminder to self to try that next). Open it back up to confirm, load a new model, 146k, and it stays, as expected. Close the browser. Here's the confusing part: when I open the browser back up, and then click on those already-loaded AI again, there is still a 2 second delay. Not the full 3 seconds, I guess because they're already somewhere in memory. But, why is there any delay at all? Know what I mean? That, if we're not getting the memory back, and the models do reside in memory for use... then why does the 2 second delay occur at all? As I click back and forth between forger and guard, forger and guard, each time, there is a 2 second delay.

2. Which leads in part to the next thought, though also somewhat independent of it: should there be an option not to show entities in that browser? Or perhaps better, should there be a button to press right on the window to toggle the display? That way a user could skip the viewing/loading/memory consumption altogether if they don't need it, or toggle it on quickly to take a peek if they do. Show Model on/off, something like that.

Edit: Oooh it seems flush and reload does reclaim at least some of the memory from entity viewing. My guess is that the image files are dumped, but not the models. Perhaps with the pending fix to 702 it'll be even better.

Just to bump my earlier question: where exactly is the colour stored for default entities in orthoview? I know I set a year or two ago but can't think how to search for this. I struggle to see fine blue lines on black.

[edit] I know Tels responded to this but I don't think I changed the colour in every single entity def - I think I just changed one entry somewhere

Just to bump my earlier question: where exactly is the colour stored for default entities in orthoview? I know I set a year or two ago but can't think how to search for this. I struggle to see fine blue lines on black.

[edit] I know Tels responded to this but I don't think I changed the colour in every single entity def - I think I just changed one entry somewhere

The entity colour is indeed defined in the entityDef (it is also inherited). You can look in the Entity Class Tree to see where the editor_color spawnarg is inherited from. No other way around that (so far).

Can't see this on tracker. Create speaker and set min max distances. Use button to show these radii. Clone speaker. Same radii on the new speaker are shown offset by one radius length (so circumference clips through speaker and its centre is where its radius should be.) Save and re-open map and they are shown correctly.

Temporary fix is save and re-open the map. I suppose another crude temp fix might be to create another entity - say a small model and place it at the centre of the bad circle then select both speaker and model together and move the model to different positions until you have it how you want. Then move the speaker to the model position and delete the model. Not sure how unpredictable the circle is though.