The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Okay, in line with this same recent topic (duelling key messages in the GTK UI, I assume), I've stumbled into a much more serious case while trying to update test/texchop.map today.

I was adding text entities to visually display the shader names which are nominated for removal. One of the walls currently isn't nominated, is just there for quality contrast purposes, so I wanted to text it as "(placeholder - not nominated)". But son-of-a-bitch, every time I tried to type a single space character, the input field would reset to what it was previously. I did it a few times, not believing my eyes. Tried it a few more times without parens (acted the same) and without spaces (it worked). So I thought, okay it must be bound to something, and the conflict is causing the field to reset -- just like the GroupCycleForward command. Okay, not a big deal, I'll worry about it in a minute, just let me check the map...

Well I got into the map and that wall was a jumble of overlapping text. WTF? I checked the map in notepad. Found some unexpected entities -- text_6, text_9, etc -- huh?? Got back into DR and then the lightbulb went on. Holy shit, space is bound to clone of course (by default), so, despite the fact that I was in a text input box on the entity inspector, each time I hit space, it was not resetting the field, but actually duplicating the entity! Ouch. I had 14 copies of the text entity overlapping. Sounds eerily familiar to all of those doubled-entity problems mappers have run into over the years.

What do we do? It seems this is a bug or limitation in the GTK environment (else it would have been addressed for Tab), correct? If it cannot be fixed, users can change the clone bind to be shift-space instead. However, that's now two cases where default binds are conducive to usage problems -- one causes a mostly harmless but annoying focus shift, and now this latest discovery causes actual duplication of entities just for trying to include a space in an input field (and there are cases where that's necessary).

Hard fix: Is it possible once and for all to allow the Entity inspector to trap messages, causing the other meanings of the keys to be ignored, but, while still allowing ESC to clear selection instead of clearing input (a feature lost, and then restored, while trying to fix this once in the past)?

Easy(?) fix: Or should we change these default settings? GroupCycleForward to shift-Tab and clone to shift-Space? (would take some getting used to)

:wacko:

The issue report concerning this is already on the tracker. I need to get some clear space to look into this, but I assume it's going to be somewhat hack-ish. I also assume that this might have been resolved in newer GTK versions (ours is years old), but newer GTK versions are not working with the GL widgets, which needs even more looking into.

Well if it can't be easily fixed than I think I could get used to Shift+space for cloning.

The only problem then would be if someone wanted to type something that needed a space and they also wanted all caps, and instead of using Caps Lock they just tried to hold Shift and type it all (I've been known to do this from time to time).

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just doing some texturing and cloned some entities OK then noticed that in Dark Radiant all loot entities are now showing as pink blocks similar to the path corner with a pointing arrow except they approximate the dimensions of the original loot. I load another map: test/inventory.map and they too show this way plus all the ammo - arrows are long thin pink blocks. Other entities OK. They all appear OK in game. Reloaded DR with no change.

My first guess is that I hit a shortcut key for an unknown (by me) Dark Radiant option but seems unlikely anyone would want this except perhaps for performance?

How do I switch it back?

[EDIT] darkradiant-0.9.8pre9

Long ago I asked about changing an editor colour but can't find it now. I think it is in a def or something not in the normal colors.xml. I must have lost that setting over time with different updates. It's the colour for an unselected entity - which is blue in orthoview and not easy for me to see on a black background when there are lots of other lines. I'd like to change it to very light blue.

Just doing some texturing and cloned some entities OK then noticed that in Dark Radiant all loot entities are now showing as pink blocks similar to the path corner with a pointing arrow except they approximate the dimensions of the original loot. I load another map: test/inventory.map and they too show this way plus all the ammo - arrows are long thin pink blocks. Other entities OK. They all appear OK in game. Reloaded DR with no change.

My first guess is that I hit a shortcut key for an unknown (by me) Dark Radiant option but seems unlikely anyone would want this except perhaps for performance?

How do I switch it back?

That sounds like the option to show models not as fully rendered but as bounding boxes, there used to also be an option for wireframe in GTKRadiant, I'm not sure if greebo removed that functionality though or if I'm thinking of another editor.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Long ago I asked about changing an editor colour but can't find it now. I think it is in a def or something not in the normal colors.xml. I must have lost that setting over time with different updates. It's the colour for an unselected entity - which is blue in orthoview and not easy for me to see on a black background when there are lots of other lines. I'd like to change it to very light blue.

Yes, these colors are set in the entity defs. Please don't change them randomly, a light blue would be for instance hard to see on (my laptop's DR) white background.

There are different colors, like orange for moveables, blue for statics, I think also orange for paths. The colors are more or less randomly assigned and I am pretty sure we could come up with a better scheme - but see above :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

How do I switch it back?

It is probably an "editor_mins" "editor_maxs" setting in the def files. Dunno why it was changed, or if that relates to the "model" spawnarg change.

Can you try to remove the "editor_mins/maxs" spawnarg from one entity that is effected and see if it helps?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Mmmm.... now DR won't run at all. This is still 0.9.8pre9. I'll try resetting defaults tomorrow if it still won't work after a reboot.

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
 Application Name:	darkradiant.exe
 Application Version:	0.0.0.0
 Application Timestamp:	49043cf7
 Fault Module Name:	wrap_oal.dll
 Fault Module Version:	2.1.4.0
 Fault Module Timestamp:	452c3235
 Exception Code:	40000015
 Exception Offset:	00045121
 OS Version:	6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
 Locale ID:	2057
 Additional Information 1:	77be
 Additional Information 2:	07082cb47898ecc6f9ac4ae3f8e983fa
 Additional Information 3:	5252
 Additional Information 4:	5b1aafdb11b6df0a76cfe71b0a06f3fd

More serious than I thought. I can't get Dark Radiant to run at all. After a reboot and a complete uninstall and re-install and wiping of all files I cannot get either the new pre13 nor my previously working pre9 to run. I guess it can only be something in the registry?

Fault Module Name: wrap_oal.dll

This is a DLL from OpenAl. Did you change your sound hardware, your sound drivers or something related to sound?

It's now started working again. I've done nothing. Not used the machine for a couple of hours - went to have a meal. Just came back. Dark Radiant runs. Still shows loot and ammo as blocks - though red instead of pink but that's the default as I wiped all my own settings.

Looks like a lot of static loot entities been wiped so that's why they don't show. That's gonna break just about every map I've made since I see no purpose in moveable loot that you will never push except accidentally knock out of reach so making the mission unfinishable. Can't think when you would ever want loot to actually move.

Looks like a lot of static loot entities been wiped so that's why they don't show. That's gonna break just about every map I've made since I see no purpose in moveable loot that you will never push except accidentally knock out of reach so making the mission unfinishable. Can't think when you would ever want loot to actually move.

Personal comment:

Well, that is what I was arguing (that moveable loot doesn't make much sense and actually is dangerous, because it can be knocked into corners).

However, the team decision was otherwise so thats what we are stuck now :) I didn't work on the loot, however.

End of personal comment :)

As for the static loot disappearing, it should be listed in the "tdm_deprecated.def" file and thus should still "work" e.g. in the sense that the map does not break. Is this not the case?

Yes, that's correct. The map does work but those entities not easily re-edited because you cannot judge their position. I'll try a find and replace in a text editor but I'm not sure of the repercussions of moveable loot. Guess I just don't have time to read everything - this does sound familiar though.

Here's something very minor, and I guess it's questionable if action needs to be taken. That said there is an inconsistency introduced (or is it an opportunity/feature?).

If you select items from a layer, and then hide the layer, an auto-deselect is performed (IMO a very good thing). However, while a layer is hidden, you can still then go ahead and select (and move, duplicate, delete, etc) the invisible entities via the layer select button. Should this be disallowed?

Issue pending opinions.

Is there a way to save the layers?

When I edit a map that was on my desktop, with layers organizing it so I can edit it better, I use it on my laptop and theres only one layer and thats "default".

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

How do I switch it back?

You mean like this:

optionsil8.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.