The Dark Mod Forums

Angua's Textures

angua

I think there is also another problem, because some of the textures which only have a dds were showing up fine for sparhawk, whereas others didn't, and the ones that didn't were not all black but had blue stripes. :huh:

I just compared the relevant settings in NHs config, and they are the same for my config. You are right about the stripes. It looks as if the memory is corrupted, that is being used for the textures, or it is not properly initialized.

Gerhard

Ok, I'm getting to work on adding these now...

I could do this myself if you tell me where to put them, so I could reduce your workload. :)
If you like, I could send you the PM I sent SneaksieDave that lists the things I try to ensure. If you follow them, then I probably won't have any problems with you adding your own textures. Be warned, however, it's a bit long...

If you like, I could send you the PM I sent SneaksieDave that lists the things I try to ensure. If you follow them, then I probably won't have any problems with you adding your own textures. Be warned, however, it's a bit long...

Yes, I would definitly like to do that. Please send me your PM, and I'll see what I can do. :)

Edit: Thanks for your PM, Gildoran! I'll try to stick to the guidelines.

Bonehoard textures coming soon! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Textures are now on CVS (I will improve the one with the cracks, you were right, they don't look natural) and I would like to add some more:

stone/floor/blocks_017, stone/floor/rough_009, stone/floor/rough_010

shot00094zg6.th.jpg shot00095sr6.th.jpg shot00096kv2.th.jpg

stone/floor/rough_011, stone_floor/rough_012_mossy, stone/floor/marble_004

shot00099be7.th.jpg shot00097wy3.th.jpg shot00101th1.th.jpg

Looks good!

If I may make a suggestion for future textures... You may be able to improve textures by not having the diffusemap be so independent from the normalmap. (eg, in ornament_006, 007 and 008) Assuming that such protrusions would be made from different blocks of stone, it may be a good idea to have the diffuse texture be discontinuous at the edges of the protrusion. Another possibility would be to consider how water might pour off of large protrusions... You might get stains near some of the edges.

You know, looking at these it occurs to me that we really should have a texture webpage just like we do with models. It would be very handy to be able to see all our textures in one spot, and I imagine it would make it a lot more obvious what kinds we are missing. Not only that, but we could see much more clearly which ones are not high enough quality, or whether certain types of textures go well stylistically with others.

BT started one, actually, way back when. But we really should do something similar to the models page, where they are organized by category.

• 5 months later...

What kind of material is it? If it's stone it should go under scultped (or whatever that one was called). If it's wood it should be panels.

(looks cool, btw) :)

What kind of material is it? If it's stone it should go under scultped (or whatever that one was called). If it's wood it should be panels.

(looks cool, btw) :)

Thanks! :)

It's made out of bones, so it doesn't really fit in either stone or wood. They're plastered in, so I could put them under plaster, but this is not really the place I would look for something like that.

The problem is that we don't have a bones directory at the moment. We could add one, but the question is, wether there will be enough textures to have a seperate directory for it. On the other hand, to follow our guidelines, and being prepared for future contributions, adding a bones directory might make sense.

Gerhard

it should be clear from the screenshot.

I've never seen gold bones before, have you? <_<

They're plastered in, so I could put them under plaster, but this is not really the place I would look for something like that.

If they're actual bones, then we probably do need a new folder for that. Though frankly, that colour doesn't make me think of bones...they look more like they're carved out of maplewood or something.

I've never seen gold bones before, have you? <_<

Actually, yes, I have. ;)

If they're actual bones, then we probably do need a new folder for that. Though frankly, that colour doesn't make me think of bones...they look more like they're carved out of maplewood or something.

You're right, they are too yellowish, and there was also a yellow light in the screenshot. Here is a new one with white light.

post-483-1187264596_thumb.jpg

Thanks! :)

I've already planned to do some more of them (but I'll do this after my very last exam at uni on tuesday, I should be studying plasma physics now... :wacko: If I had spent all the time and effort for uni instead of working on the mod, I'd probably have finished long ago :laugh: )