The Dark Mod Forums

Baddcog's Models

Baddcog

Collision models are needed for things that might move around. For example, if the gem bags are sitting on top of a book, and the player frobs or bumps the book, you don't want the gems to stay floating in space. Generally speaking, anything small enough to move, that won't be attached to something solid (like a wall lamp) should probably have a collision model.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It wouldn't harm to make collision meshes for detailed static models when details don't make any diffrence in overall shape. The less collision polys to check each frame the better.

Ah, so many questions :D

I'm curious to know how the collision models interact with the actual textures.

If a chest is made out of metal and wood, without collision model, it seems that an arrow striking the correct material would make the correct noise.

But what happens if it hits a collision model? Does it use the closest material? Or does it make a generic noise?

Back to shadows. I tried to make materials (basically ceramic, with all ceramic props taken from a TDM material) and added noshadow and noselfshadow. Of course I tried on of each alone too. But that makes my objects black. Is this due to the custom material type

ie:

surftype15

"ceramic" (I know that's incorrect-off top of my head)

---------

I'm sending greebo a new version of my street lamp. changed it just a bit. I would like to hear some feedback once it's up before I finish up the rest of the lamps.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

textures/common/collision gives just default sound and collision effects. Actually I've already answered this question in my very first reply to your posts. If you want proper collision effect (sticking arrows + sound) you have to make custom collision material and specify surface type in it. Or just use the one I've made already. Instead of textures/common/collision write tdm_collision_SURFACE TYPE NAME - there's individual material for all currently declared material types. (in collision.mtr file, if you want to take a look).

surftype15

"ceramic" (I know that's incorrect-off top of my head)

I think it should be:

surftype15
description "ceramic"

Thanks, that doesn't show the shadows it will cast, I forgot a pic of that.

@ PinkDot. thanks and sorry. My brain is like a sponge, right now it's full of water and hard to soak up anything else. :wacko:

Most of your models are on SVN now, and they're very cool. B)

There are still some small problems:

The banners in the lampbanner models are black. This is because there is banner_builder_d as diffusemap, should be tdm_bannerwatch (or tdm_banner_builder for the other model) but it seems like you didn't touch those at all in the meantime, there is still a map_shine in there. I also saw that the origin is far below the model, it would be better to set it to the point where it should be attached to the wall, or at the center of the model.

There is some z-fighting going on on the leaves of the pot-trees, possibly coming from the shadow mesh.

If you want to have fully black or white images, you can use _black or _white as the image like this:

specularmap _white

I've also replaced your grey specularmaps with

{
blend	specularmap
map	 _white
rgb	  0.29
}

which has the same effect as a grey specularmap with a brightness of 0.29

The collision surfaces are called for example tdm_collision_wood without the SURFACE_TYPE (already changed that)

The pine tree needed twosided for the leaves, they were only visible from above without that (already fixed)

I especially like the streetlamps, but they would probably look out of place in the bonehoard...

If you want to have fully black or white images, you can use _black or _white as the image like this:

specularmap _white

Huh, I never knew that. :) There's probably a few specular textures in the repository that could be removed and replaced with that.

anqua, thanks for doing that stuff.

I did have the twosided in the pine material in my darkmod folder, but guess I uploaded the wrong mtr.

whoops.

The z fighting is because I had clones the leaves and reversed normals/ think that was before I got twosided working, I deleted most of the offending polys but there are probably a few left.

I will update those objs.

Oh, forgot about the banners, the one thing I didn't update.

----------

edit:

I'll have to play with the specualr thing, how do you know how bright 0.29 is gonna be?

I guess I should be more specific.

is _white the same as

CODE

{

blend specularmap

map _white

rgb 1.00

}

(of course you wouldn't need rgb 1.00)

so the higher the number the more white it is (same with black?)

The reason I ask is say I have 1 obj with 2 tex.

One tex uses this method to calculate a grey specular.

the other tex has a specular map in grey scale, but the base is a certian shade of grey. (then it has black and white areas)

How could I calcute this same shade of grey without alot of in/out of gamemode.

99% done, needs a little tweak here and there.

This took foever, I decided to try the highpoly/lowpoly normals thing. Which I found to be fairly difficult to get good results.

The high poly was 25,000, but I did find a way that I'm happy with that's alot easier.

I just seperated each 'face' (front, top, side), added good bevels between flat areas. and used the renderbumpflat to get a good normal map for each side, then copy/pasted that stuff in photoshop.

That would've saved ALOT of work right off.

bcmetalchestkv0.th.jpg

Looks cosmic! :)

And yes - it's better way for doing normal maps for geometric models since there's no vertex shading in the normalmap (which is the result of smoothing low poly model, I believe).

I just took another look - is the base made of diffrent metal than the lid?

@ Pinkdot:

Nope, used the anchor_d for metal and crate_01 for wood (chopped into one tex of course)

But I did stretch the metal on the base a bit AFTER that screenie, so it looks closer to the lid now.

Over half the polys ended up being just in the 'balls' on top of legs and the rings. the fronts and sides of the chest are actually only 2 polys each. The lid is about 150 of the total.

Oooohhh! I like it! :wub:

I'll have to play with the specualr thing, how do you know how bright 0.29 is gonna be?

I measured the brightness of your grey image in Photoshop, which was 29%. Black would be 0, white would be 1. A grey that has equal "amounts" of black and white would be 0.5

I guess I should be more specific.

is _white the same as

CODE

{

blend specularmap

map _white

rgb 1.00

}

(of course you wouldn't need rgb 1.00)

so the higher the number the more white it is (same with black?)

The values (scaled from 0 to 1) of the image pixels (_white in this case) are multiplied with the rgb value.

If the image is white (=1) you can scale the brightness of the resulting image with rgb from white (1 * 1 = 1) to black (1 * 0 = 0).

If you have a black image (=0), you can multiply it with whatever number you want, it will stay black.

You can also multiply other images with an rgb value, this will darken the image, unless you use values greater than 1 (you can also color it when you use different values for red, blue and green).

The reason I ask is say I have 1 obj with 2 tex.

One tex uses this method to calculate a grey specular.

the other tex has a specular map in grey scale, but the base is a certian shade of grey. (then it has black and white areas)

Find out the brightness of that grey (in %) and multiply the other specular with that value.

in case you don't know yet - you don't have to go out of game each time to reload resources. There are already console commands for that: reloadmodels, reloaddecls (text files), reloadimages and so on. Just type "reload" and press TAB.

I didn't know about reload commands, thanks. I can't seem to minimize dark radiant/doomedit anyway though. I have been using full screen, some maybe that's the prob.

Even alt-tab will run thru my programs but won't let anything else come up. All in good time I guess, I'm still a newb.

Anyway, since I'm such a newb-meathead maybe you can help me figure out this grey percentage (I had an inkling that colors could be used also, good for liquids :D )

greyyv1.th.jpg

That's what I see in Photoshop when I pick a grey, I take it H S B column is the right one? B being black, so I'd actually want the inverse of that percentage for white?

I'd say H S B stands for Hue, Saturation and Brightness. So 65% would be rgb 0.65 of _white.tga...

I can't seem to minimize dark radiant/doomedit anyway though. I have been using full screen, some maybe that's the prob.

Right - you can't minimize Doom3 while in fullscreen. Does your shortcut to Doom3.exe look something like that? E:\Doom3\DOOM3.exe com_allowConsole 1+disconnect +set r_gamma 1 +set r_brightness 1 +set r_mode 6 +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +set fs_game darkmod.

And don't worry - there's plenty to discover yet :)

That chest looks excellent.

And I didn't know about that reload command either...that could have saved me a lot of headaches. :)

Didn't see a desk lamp

desklampro3.th.jpg

Probably try and make a matching floor lamp.

Also, skins with wood. Not sure if I like the 'steel' one above, but it was an easy skin.

----------EDIT-------

We needed signs, this is only a blank skin and blacksmith for now.

I figure someone else might want to do some sign skins, if so I can send the psd.

I fixed the hanger, one edge needed turned. When I convert lwo's thru accutrans to 3ds I lose the uvw data. So I retexed it too.

blacksmithsign.jpg

Spiral staircase, gonna touch up the tex a bit.

Make a skin or 2, one with metal stairs.

Thinking about changing shape of handrail post, maybe just another model with different posts, something rounder.

Possibly a 'broken' model too missing stairs.

This is a full 360 staircase, 256 units high (hopefully about one floor for mappers-would be great if someone could test it)

Thinking about doing a 1/4 model and 1/2 model too.

spiralstairwi2.th.jpg

Somehwere around 2200 polys

We needed signs, this is only a blank skin and blacksmith for now.

I figure someone else might want to do some sign skins, if so I can send the psd.

That's great. Sign models have been sadly lacking. A generic-shaped one like that will be very handy. We could also use one in a shield-shape. :)

Sure. Do you have any other shapes in mind?

I saw one in Aspen awhile back that I was thinking about coping for a pub, it's a wooden keg hanging. I think it would look pretty cool having a small barrel with tap above a pub. I was planning on making a keg sometime too anyway.

There are texture_src and model_src repositories on SVN for these kinds of things... you guys should get into the habit of using them as much as possible. :)

These repositories are supposed to recveive sourcefiles, that are eeded to reconstruct the respective resource, but does NOT go into the game as it is. For example, you can upload a scenefile for Blender like lightgem.blend, which can not be used directly in the Doom 3 engine, but is needed because it contains extra data that allows us to tweak the lightgem model and export it afterwards to the game. Similar you can upload photshop files, or other files needed to process i.e. textures and such. No applications though, only datafiles.

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/svn/model_src

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/svn/texture_src

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/svn/sound_src

Above is from http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5449

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.