The Dark Mod Forums

Baddcog's Models

Baddcog

Possibly a megaphone 'funnel' for lack of better description, Like on the record player. Just a small one to the side and above lantern body? Maybe I'll add one and let you guys have a look.

Yes. That's what I also had in mind. :) I think that would be enough for an explanation.

And it would be cool to have some kindof combat bot, I really liked the original, too bad it is gone eh? If anyone has sketches of robot ideas that would be cool, I'd like them to be as UN-T2 as possbile.

Discuss here :D

There was a model done by Oddity. Don't know what happened to it.

Gerhard

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, is it the 'feet' themselves or the legs that look to small to you guys.

It's just the feet for me. If they ended in a knob or something that would be fine. It's not even a big problem the way they are now, just somewhat noticeable.

There was a model done by Oddity. Don't know what happened to it.

Odd did a very T2-looking one back at the beginning. Deep Omega modeled one based on GIMG's concept art, which I really liked, but then he disappeared.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...90&hl=robot

DeepOmega has been logged in only a few days ago, doesn't he respond to PMs any more?

Apparently not. I've PM'd him about it more than once when I saw he was still logging in. AFAIK he hasn't posted anything in over a year. Not sure why he's still registered as a team-member, actually.

This is really a shame - I personally don't understand why people don't even bother to write a single line about their disappearance. I mean, a simple "I don't have time anymore, sorry." or "The objects were wiped in a HDD crash." or "You can kiss my ass." would do the trick.

I'm still wondering about BlackThief. I mean, he has been logged in long after his last post, but can't be arsed to write a note to inform his fellows? WTF?

edit: (Um, sorry, this is probably the wrong thread.)

anqua:

Is the chest large enough? Bad timing huh? Glad you like it but after comparing some of my stuff to darkmod stuff I think I'm still about 20% small.

I'm not sure what you mean by apply rotation and scale. That must be a Maya/blender thing. I only use those in max when I want to scale or rotate.

I didn't have those issues in map Seventh (loaded in Doom3) but I haven't checked it out since I got Darkmod up and running (I did finally get in game)

I had problems with it at that time, the front of lockbox and one plane of carpet tex were black, I thought the normals were reversed or something weird. That model had been through alot over the years.

So I rebuilt it from scratch and all seemed fine.

Now I've got the idea on how to set the rotation of lid too. I had moved the pivot to the back of lid, but exported it at its original height (above chest) for easy alignment, my bad.

PinkDot, thanks! I am going to add a bit more dirt, not too much. Right now it's a generic specular map, a specific one will help make it dirty. I am starting to enjoy some mechanical stuff, it's something i never did for T2 until recently. I've been looking into a bunch of Steampunk resources latley too, that helps.

-------

It was the Deep Omega bot that I saw, really cool. Too bad we can't get it.

perhaps Oddity's bot could be used. Maybe textured more in this style than T2 style. I haven't seen it so I'm imagining a T2 bot. I do think faces on larger bots are a good idea....

Maybe we can get him to upload or foward it to me to play with? I'll PM him.

----------

Anyway, Megaphone added. I think I'm going with the small uinderneath one, but feel free to comment

I think it is a good addition.

bcbot1mk6.th.jpg

bcbot2dg5.th.jpg

bcbot5mj4.th.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

perhaps Oddity's bot could be used.

I don't know whether Odd still has it or not, but even if so I'd recommend against it. The head is too much like T2, IMO. I'd rather we come up with our own bot designs.

As for heads, yes, the larger bots would probably have them, though I think we should be looking at period sculpture to get an idea of what kinds of faces they might have. I'd like to see some medieval gargoyle-looking type faces rather than a human-like face with an eyepiece.

Anyway, Megaphone added. I think I'm going with the small uinderneath one, but feel free to comment

I think it is a good addition.

I definitely prefer the small underneath one. It works as either a listening device OR a projecting device, if we have this bot give off some kind of audio alert when it hears something.

About the texture, in the in-game shot I think the edges of the gears seem much brighter than they should be compared to everything else. They look fine in your pictures, so maybe it's a specular issue?

I'm still wondering about BlackThief. I mean, he has been logged in long after his last post, but can't be arsed to write a note to inform his fellows? WTF?

Are you serious? What's up with that?

Are you serious? What's up with that?

This is from his public profile:

BlackThief

Last Post: June 2006

Then again, this was about half a year ago...

I guess it wouldn't hurt to start discussing some bot options now. Give me something to chew on for awhile.

Types:

Gasbot comes to mind. A medium size bot (no reason to make this one too big).

Has a canister of gas and a nozzle to spray player?

Maybe it could be a tricycle style. (This of course might cause probs with stairs but I think a bot on wheels would be cool) (might also cause probs with turning in tight spots-weird animation, sliding across ground? Bad idea?)

trying to think of options other than cannonballs.

Bot with crossbow? shoot fire arrows?

Hammer bot, large hammer on front to smash player.

Should all bots be on 4 legs? biped bots?

Have you looked at the threads already on this issue? No harm in bringing it up again, but it might be worth seeing what's already been thought about. :)

{offtopic}

This is from his public profile:

BlackThief

Last Post: June 2006

Then again, this was about half a year ago...

It's comforting that I'm not the only one bothered by that type of thing. :laugh:

I'm not entirely sure the recorded date on that is correct. I remember having similar "WTF?!" feelings as you did above, when I saw him logged on not long ago (perhaps it was February?), reading the thread I was reading, which was asking some pertinent question about modeling and mentioning him specifically, although he didn't reply. I believe it was more recent than half a year ago. Then again, unless the database is wrong, I must be.

If someone's busy, it's fine of course; we've all got lives. But at least say something, right? Worse, especially if you're a DIVISION LEAD and an ADMIN, ffs. Don't leave the team wondering if they should move to replace you or not.

{/offtopic}

The bots look awesome in game from those shots above. :)

kfmcall did do some nice bot designs, maybe someone can be bothered finding the thread.

I don't like that old one I did either, and god knows where it is anyway. I'd actually done that before joining TDM, so it is very Thief-like.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I must say I like the ones with the megaphone on top better. Having it benath them makes them look quite synthetic and artifical, while I usually associate more random growth with Thief style technics, instead of perfect symmetric design.

Gerhard

instead of perfect symmetric design.

I tend to agree about asymmetry being a good thing with these bots. But I like the smaller megaphone because it's more out of the way.

Here are some of the threads with bot concept art--though frankly, none of them were that great other than the one DO modelled. Most of KFM's designs were too futuristic, but they might give you some ideas:

- BoilerBot 1

- Bot ideas

- Cherub Bot

angua:

Is the chest large enough? Bad timing huh? Glad you like it but after comparing some of my stuff to darkmod stuff I think I'm still about 20% small.

Yes, it is a bit small, you're right. This is how it looks like in the bonehoard:

shot00167bc2.th.jpg

So I think you can make it at least 20% larger or even more. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by apply rotation and scale. That must be a Maya/blender thing. I only use those in max when I want to scale or rotate.

I didn't have those issues in map Seventh (loaded in Doom3) but I haven't checked it out since I got Darkmod up and running (I did finally get in game)

I had problems with it at that time, the front of lockbox and one plane of carpet tex were black, I thought the normals were reversed or something weird. That model had been through alot over the years.

So I rebuilt it from scratch and all seemed fine.

Yes, this is a blender thing. If the mesh is scaled or rotated as a whole, that data is written into the geomobject instead of the individual vertices like this:

*GEOMOBJECT {
	*TM_ROTAXIS 0.0000	0.0000	0.0000
	*TM_ROTANGLE 0.0000
	*TM_SCALE 0.1520	0.1520	0.1520
	*TM_SCALEAXIS 0.0000	0.0000	0.0000
	*TM_SCALEAXISANG 0.0000
}

I think (but I'm not sure, really) that the lighting is based on the data in the vertices only, even though the model appears in the right scale ingame, which results in weird lighting. In blender, there is a command where you can apply scale and rotation, so that it is written to the vertices themselves.

In this case the strange lighting was because I didn't have the bumpmap image at the right place so doom3 didn't find it. (it was bc_med _rough or something like that, when I used bc_low_rough, everything was fine)

3ds max and Maya also have the concept of an object having its own transform (translation, rotation, scaling) independent from its vertices, and it can cause problems in them as well. I don't know if it affects export to D3 since I've never used them for D3 stuff, but it definitely exists.

In Maya you can do Edit -> Freeze Transformations to "bake" the object's transform into its vertices. Make sure all three options are checked in the menu item's option dialog. Max has a similar feature, though I don't remember what it's called.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Ok, chest and many other objects resized, I think I'm much closer. I've also changed position of lid so it SHOULD be right. I'll try and upload later today so someone can check before I call it final.

(haven't figured out how to frob, ect... possibly because I'm still using old stuff from rars.

On a good note I'm getting in game now and testing my objs in Darkmod so most stuff should be ready before I upload now relieving that burdern from you guys.

Also, I am having cable internet installed next week so I'll be able to use SVN and get all the new stuff.

I got my resized street lamp in game and noticed a big prob, I had backfacing polys for transparency which blocked the light, so that's been fixed and They have a new glass tex which is much closer to the Darkmod lanterns. I modeled the bars that were on the tex so now they cast some wicked shadows. (I also shrank the bottom of lantern a bit to make shadow underneath smaller)

I don't really dig having the offset light source to the lamps, I guess in some spots it looks alright, in others I don't like it.

It also seems that brightness can't be changed on lights, just radius and placement eh? That kindof sucks as I'm used to Dromed lighting, but I guess not that big of a deal, just need to get used to it.

-----------

Back to objects and help:

Shadows boxes

This is still probably my biggest prob, I'll search some more too. But as I said before, if I use shadow or shadow2 textures it just seems to add the box shadow to the object shadow, thus increasing the complexity of the shadow, not simplifing it. So for know I'm rexporting models without shadow.

Scratch that, guess I found answer at doom3 world.

I need to make all textures NOT cast shadows, then only shadow2 will cast... ah, so simple.

Collision

I understand that we want collision on moveable objects. But for instance, my gembags can be frobbed (taken) but they never be thrown. So do they really need one?