Baddcog's Models

Baddcog

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could be something like a sentinel, except it lights up the player.

The inventors would open top and pour in boiling water, close top and steam would run it for awhile. It would wonder around either following the Ai's or looking for player and following him.

What do you guys think?

I love it! :wub: This is exactly the kind of steam-bots I like to see. It doesn't look overly robotic (in a futuristic sense), and serves an obviously useful function. I love look of the lantern on the front. I can definitely see a few of these things patrolling around a noble's mansion grounds.

Cool, glad you like it.

I'll start working on a real version. That was after a couple rum and cokes :D

I suppose that there are no limits as far as joints and whatnot are concerened. Anything goes as long as it gets rigged properly.

I guess I'll need to talk to one of the animators. I can rig a skeleton and do basic animations. And I would like to get more involved in that too. But I havn't figured out how these rigs are yet. I've noticed alot of small bones in the meshes, but haven't looked into how they are connected yet... all in due time.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Cool, glad you like it.

I'll start working on a real version. That was after a couple rum and cokes :D

I suppose that there are no limits as far as joints and whatnot are concerened. Anything goes as long as it gets rigged properly.

I guess I'll need to talk to one of the animators. I can rig a skeleton and do basic animations. And I would like to get more involved in that too. But I havn't figured out how these rigs are yet. I've noticed alot of small bones in the meshes, but haven't looked into how they are connected yet... all in due time.

There's an origin bone that's pretty much on the floor & centered between the feet then everything else is branched off from there:

tdmskeletonrf1.jpg

It looks like the tdm skeleton could be modified to fit those steambots (I used that skeleton for the belcher). As long as the joints in the mesh match the joints in the animations, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think the animation reference files I uploaded to ftp have an fbx file you can import into max:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/models/In...tch_AnimRef.rar

You can probably import the fbx file, remove the skeleton, then use that skeleton for the bot.

Woah, holy cow, crap...

Thanks for posting those pics, I really gotta figure out how to get in game...

I see alot of texture probs there that don't show in the model viewer, what a bummer. My apologies, I thought they were all ready to go.

Oh well, I'm not gonna run off, just have more to figure out I guess.

Good to hear that, I thought I'd have to fetch my gas arrows... :laugh:

Let's see, the branch texture on the pine has bark tex.

One of the street lamps is just grey.

gauges, bass ect... I think I exported as one mesh because they were fine in material browser that way. Although I do have an external model viewer by der)ton in which they don't show correctly, guess I'll use that to check.

Ceramic pots, that's the inside tex outside, same prob as others...

The small lantern, I have NO idea why it looks like that. Really odd.

Yep, that's that problem with more than one texture on the same mesh. Doom3 just applies one of them to the whole model

angua,

thanks for the help. the whole material thing has taken a bit for me to get the hang of. I did read that tut (Dled it actually)

for skins and I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong. I think I was close...

Anyway, would you mind emailing the skin and material files for anything you changed, that way I can examine everything closely, it would help alot.

Guess I'll be rexporting alot of stuff.

First, you have to write a shader for each of the other skin textures in your material file, like this for example:

bc_key01
{
metal

diffusemap  models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_key01
specularmap models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_key01_s

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_key01
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

}

bc_key01b
{
metal

diffusemap  models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_key01b
specularmap models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_key01_s

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_key01b
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

}

Then you can add the skin in the skin file:

skin bc_key01blue
{
  model models/darkmod/door_related/bc_key01.ASE
  bc_key01 bc_key01b
}

Where bc_key01 is the material that is applied to the model, and bc_key01b is the material you want it to be replaced with. I'll send you the files, too.

I also have a question about materials in objects.

Since the shader has the specular and bump info, can I just export using the diffuse, change the ase to use the shader name and the shader will take care of bump and specular? That'll only leave one shader per obj in an ase, less editting smaller file size.

Yep, that's it. :)

Anyway, heres a quick mock-up of my idea for a robot.

I like them. You should get more rum and coke... :laugh:

As far as the gauges, I have no prob changing, making more versions whatever. I've got a photoshop file with about 20 layers going, easy fix.

Would you be willing to give me a copy of the photoshop file? I have some ideas for making the gauges a little less modern. Or, if you'd rather, I could just make some suggestions. :)

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone.

the pine tree puzzles me though, I looked at the max file and it was seperate meshes. Unless I combined to export but didn't save (which isn't likely, maybe)

Just to let everyone know.

I did manage to get in game, the Bass is now good and I'm gonna send greebo the treasure chest today. I still need to rexport all models, but they should be done in a week or so.

Problems I still am having though:

Getting into game, Darkmod style: I can open a map, put in an object, check it out in Doom3. But I'm having to move all files into Doom3/base and edit the material files. When I load doomedit I don't see any resources from Darkmod. If I save from Dark Radiant I can't seem to open map in Doom3.

Guess I'm missing some crucial step in between.

Shadow boxes. OK, the shadow box itself isn't rendered but the shadow is, all good. But I thought the shadow box would completely take over for the objects shadow. What I'm getting is a combo bass AND shadow box shadow. I can clearly see details of both shadows, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Springheel. I'll get you the photoshop file. I went to change the numbers to roman... I don't know that system very well anymore, didn't know what to type :D

I'd still like to leave mine (I'll get rid of Dark Radiant though) as optional textures in a skin.

I did make a roman numeral clockface out of it too.

Problems I still am having though:

Getting into game, Darkmod style: I can open a map, put in an object, check it out in Doom3. But I'm having to move all files into Doom3/base and edit the material files. When I load doomedit I don't see any resources from Darkmod. If I save from Dark Radiant I can't seem to open map in Doom3.

Guess I'm missing some crucial step in between.

What version of DarkRadiant are you using? In older versions, you have to go to Files -> Project Settings, choose "Custom Doom 3 modification" and type "darkmod" under fs_game.

You also have to set the mod path for doom3. You can do this by making a shortcut, and add "set fs_game darkmod" in the target line of the preferences (ah, I'm not good at explaining, better look here: http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...le=Installation )

Then you can open doom3 with that shortcut, get down your console, compile your map with

dmap <mapname>

and the start it with

map <mapname>

Thanks.

I've tried that though. Doesn't seem to work.

I've got Dark Radiant 9.1 (is that right?, the one just released) and I've got the 1.3.1 patch for Doom3.

I've added that to my shortcut path, Doomedit comes up but if I want to add a darkmod model I have to go to Add New Object.

(My dark mod stuff is here:

doom3\fs_darkmod

is that wrong? I know the rars had everything in a darkmod folder (not fs_darkmod) and I can't say why I changed it, but at the time it was only way to get editor to work (dark radiant 8.01? -last version)

Sorry, it's hard to explain things at home from library ya know, I can't directly reference anything.

Anyway, I can load a Darkmod map when running Doomedit with that info in shortcut, but everything Darkmod is missing, black textures and boxes where objs should be. I've tried path names in Doom window:

fs_darkmod/maps/city_area ect... but always get

Can't find maps/fs_darkmod/maps/city_area....

Can only load a map if I place it in

Doom3/base/maps

Yes, you should have your stuff in a darkmod folder, not fs_darkmod. Oh boy, there's a lot of weirdness going on :wacko:

It was Rum and Cokes the other night, of course last night was Cinco De Mayo (so Tequila), that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

hmm, I don't know what it was originally, I didn't have all the rars either. But i did go thru everything last night change folder... and WOW, what can I say.

City_Area is really cool! Love the water. Looks WAY better than T3 city IMO. shot some arrows, blackjack a gaurd, killed some zombies.

The menus are awesome!

------------------------------------

Anyway, back to my stuff. Here's an almost complete Lantern Bot. I started with a 512x512 tex but spaced out probs with multiple textures, so it'll change to 1024x1024 and I'll combine the seperate textures I used.

I was going for a combo of mainly copper and brass. Tested with a quick specular in Max and that helps alot. I think I've got the copper pretty good, brass needs work imo.

I'll probably change the bottom tex (squares by legs), but other than that I'd like some opinions on textures, ect... before I finalize it. I think I got a pretty good steampunk/victorian theme going, although the fancy setail might need a bit o work too.

lanternbot1ac2.th.jpg

Cool indeed. :)

If it is not too late for suggestions, I'd have one: take care to not make the bot too wide so that it can go everywhere the other AI (or at least the other spiders) can go as well, otherwise this would restrict the mission design a bit. The feet look a bit fragile to support the heavy water tank, in my opinion, but this seems to be WIP as you indicated.

Btw: I will come to your treasure chest soon, didn't have time for that yet. Is there a chance for me to obtain the other models re-exported without submaterials? Currently they can't be used, that's why I didn't upload them to SVN yet. The shaders are already prepared so it's just the models that have to be fixed.

Glad you guys like it. I'm hoping that the copper/brass look sways Sparhawk from the 'looks futuristic' opinion :D

I will continue texturing as is.

What does everyone else think about the feet?

I'll get those other models up too, may be a few days...

Yes, this version looks much better. Don't take my opinion to seriously in the early stages. :) In case of ascotts belcher I also thought that it didn't looks well when I saw the earliest sketches, but when it was ingame it looks definitely better. The shot above also looks much better, but I'm somehow torn. The model itself looks definitely cool. I only wonder how it will achieve anything though. If I look at it, then I wonder what it is supposed to do, because it looks like a walking lantern, but I don't see how it could detect the player as it doesn't seem to have any sensors. They have some kind of charming personallity though. :)

Gerhard

What does everyone else think about the feet?

I agree the feet do look a little on the thin side, but it doesn't particularly bother me.

This guy would be great as a simple bot that just wanders around and lights things up. I can even imagine some kind of simplistic winding system that is used to 'program' in the route it takes. It could either ignore stimulus entirely, or might simply point its light at anything that makes noise.

Getting into exactly what 'sensors' they have are how they work is a bad idea, IMO, since the whole thing starts to break down if you look at it too closely.

As a kind of "robodog" they would be great indeed. I thought they would be the replacement for the big bots from T2 and somehow I can't seem them performing such a function. Still, I'm quite happy about having bots as well, because I always liked T2 with it's bots much more then T1. :)

Gerhard

I imagined it would be like the little bots from T2 (minus the blindness). Basically a tattle tale bot. Run around, seeking and pointing its light at stimuli, and then running off or perhaps screaming an alarm when it finds something. Another thought; what's the size on these? That of a large dog, or a small cat? I was imagining the latter, only about the size of the bugs in TDS or those little metal robot bugs in that cheesy movie from the 80's I can't remember the name of.

For the record, I do still hope we have killer bots too though. :ph34r:

Edit: then again, the size of the guide bots in Doom3 might be perfect.

So, is it the 'feet' themselves or the legs that look to small to you guys. Like do I need to add feet? or maybe just some 'pods' to the bottom of legs?

I'm hoping to avoid adding joints for feet:D

After the mention I had actually pictured them trying to walk across metal grates. :wacko:

Can Ai be programmed to avoid certian floor texture (easily)? That might be a good way to contain them. Along with stairs I guess. Not sure how that'll work.

I also had thought about a sensor, or brain too. Then i thought about complications. Sometimes it's better to just say "that's how it is, accept it" (to player), i did try to fit in most parts of a steam engine to give it a plausible reality.

At the same time I would be willing to add some kindof sensor, and maybe noise is the best option as I don't want to add eyes/head...

Possibly a megaphone 'funnel' for lack of better description, Like on the record player. Just a small one to the side and above lantern body? Maybe I'll add one and let you guys have a look.

When I'm done with tex I'll upload a static model or two.

sparhawk. I'm deffinately into making a few bots and using a steam engine style, larger ones would probably be put out like the T2 bots. This one is so small (maybe 2-3 feet square) that I figured that Ai adding boiling pot of water would save in the complication dept (even if only in a brief description somewhere). The player could probably shut it down with a hard knock from blackjack or sword.

And it would be cool to have some kindof combat bot, I really liked the original, too bad it is gone eh? If anyone has sketches of robot ideas that would be cool, I'd like them to be as UN-T2 as possbile.

Discuss here :D

That robo looks great! :) I wish they would fit in our bonehoard map.

I also agree that the feet might be a little thin, but I really like the little gears and all those small details.

I've had a look at your chest, it looks really cool! :wub: Expect it in the bonehoard soon.

There were still some minor issues however:

• The origin of the chset is too low. It is the point around which it rotates when it is openend, so it has to be aligned with the back edge of the lid, where it would be attached to the bottom part of the chest. This is how rotation currently looks like:
    chestopenrm0.jpg
  • The lighting is a bit weird at the moment. The metal texture can only be lit from certain angles. I had a similar problem once, and it turned out that it was because I didn't apply scale and rotation.
    chsetlightct7.th.jpg
  • The rug texture in the inside didn't work at the beginning. I had to change the surface type and remove the leading darkmod/ from the path:
    bc_insidecloth
    {
    surftype15
    description	"cloth"

diffusemap  textures\darkmod\set\rugs\setrug03.tga
    }

But apart from taht, it looks really great. I especially like the keyhole and the 5-sided nails at the sides.

Wow! That bot is perfect! Fits exactly into thiefy style. Maybe even better than original T2 bots. Feets could be more defined but that's minor problem. I would just make the texture overlayed with some dirt/rust - but not too much - it should look like working bot, not broken years before :)

I can see these bots patrolling together with some guards (as kind of "dogs") in dark and dangerous parts of city.

I'm glad that eventually we have somebody in team who'll push engineers' environment and make darkmod's world more uniqe and interesting! Great job!