The Dark Mod Forums

[WIP] Untitled - Baddcog 1st map

Baddcog

Looking good BC!

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inherently dreamy ;)

But I do believe I have bloom on. I used one light (texture, no shadow, no spec) small radius to hit walls and lamp with a texture (which full brights objects and patches) so I was sure to make it not touch table/items. Then another to fill the room, cast shadows. Each has a slightly different tint.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yeah, I just wanted to show the whole staircase instead of top or bottom ;)

Figured everyone would notice the seam.

Haha, we are all thiefes - we notice seams even in total darkness :D

1: Chandeliers (3 candle). While the entity works fine the radius is really small. I think the power of 3 candles on those should be more than 3 seperate candles. The issue is I get a hotspot on the ceiling/closest walls, but the light doesn't reach the floor or light room much. And with 3 lights there already I hate to add another ambient that has to be triggered off with the extinguished candles.

So we probably need a new .def for chandelier candles with a larger radius - they seem plenty bright, maybe too bright.

Probably my fault. I never got around to make the 3-entities-one-light-that-scales entities :(

As for the environment, look here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings

You will like it :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I used one light (texture, no shadow, no spec) small radius to hit walls and lamp with a texture (which full brights objects and patches) so I was sure to make it not touch table/items.

I don't quite understand your meaning (I'm no mapper!) but if this is something that could affect moveables, then you can't make assumptions about it not touching items... :) The player can always lift or throw things up just about anywhere.

Awesome screenshot in any case.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'll check and see if those lights do fullbright objects. But not sure if anything can be done anyway. Might not be a bug, and if it is it's in the renderer which is closed source...

But even if it did full bright, there's a chance players have 'highlight in hand' setting turned on, in which case that object would be fullbright. And if they throw it would only be fullbright for a second.

------------

Got sound zones in the front of the map. Ran around last night listening to them, so much atmosphere, great ambients. All of a sudden it felt like an actual mission :)

Also don't seem to be hearing a regular speaker when the sound zones play. I wanted it seperate from the zone system.

-----------

Trying to get AI to patrol, no luck yet.

I found a post by Spring where he was trying to have AI stand at point X, and random patrol to points A & B. I have path_wait for X, it targets point A & B (path_corners) but I haven't figured how to link the AI yet.

We need a good tut on patrols, Wiki seems to be lacking there.

--------

Made some brush furniture, haven't figured out the drawer mover yet.

--------

Alot to do today.

We need a good tut on patrols, Wiki seems to be lacking there.

Have you read this?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Path_Nodes

Also don't seem to be hearing a regular speaker when the sound zones play. I wanted it seperate from the zone system.

Hmmm, normal speakers work okay for me while the location_settings is playing -- which after all is just another normal speaker. (You can tell in my FM, in the warehouse, the electric switch plays while the ambient is playing.) You should be able to play a normal speaker separate from the zone system just fine. Remember for normal speakers you have to set it up so it turns on with proximity, and if global is off you have to set up min and max distance.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Just tried creating a new speaker, added min/max. Can't find a setting on proximity, or on/off.

haven't tried in game yet.

------

random patrols are working great. I have a set up that branches twice and all links seem to work.

Just installed an elevator, gotta ride it now.

Just tried creating a new speaker, added min/max. Can't find a setting on proximity, or on/off.

haven't tried in game yet.

You should refer to the "ambient sounds using speakers" wiki entry:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Adding_ambient_Sounds_to_your_Map#Ambient_Sounds_in_one_Area

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

post-1981-125712720996_thumb.jpg

Did quite a bit of work this weekend. Leanred AI patrols, working on sounds more, Got 1st floor done, 2nd floor is close, 3rd floor is sealed. Added back yard. Made a door and table with drawer out of brushes.

Uploaded to svn maps/baddcog_new1 if anyone wants to roam around it , any comments are appreciated. It's still rough, lots of details to add/finish. There are some gaurds patrolling, some loot to find, some pick-ups, but no goals or books.

I'm done for tonight. This is about 7 good days of work so far. I think a month is totally do able, a little Thanksgiving treat.

Stone ceiling? I have no stone ceilings.

But yeah, lots of details to add. Only a few rooms to define on 3rd floor and I'll start detailing more. I almost held off that screenie because it's nothing spectacular, pretty boring, but I went in game to take a shot and most of the work last weekend was sounds, a bit of lighting, basic terrain, AI patrols... (which I seem to have missed in that shot :( ) Nothing really screen worthy. so library...

well... ceilings with wooden boards the size of tree trunks. Surely you understand the architectural importance of supporting the second floor. ^_^

I took a quick run-through with r_Showportals and r_showtris. I have no complaints at all. Portals function correctly, tri count is good, and the layout is performance-friendly.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Looks nice, one thing I might add, put some wooden support beams up, or wooden trim along the ceiling.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Yeah, it's all in the details. Unfortunately they haven't made it much past the first floor yet.

I just start with wood floor/ceilings and stone walls, copy/paste 'em when I need them, then adjust tex/change as I go. So those tree trunk boards probably will end up fancy ceiling tiles in the end. Most 'floor supports' will actually be hidden under the ceiling panels. I will have more 'unfinished' hallways with exposed beams in the servants quarters.

Day 8, progress update.

So yesterday was day 8, trying to do this in a month (not 30 days) so it's gonna be tight. Motivation can get a bit low at times.

Got the third floor base layout done, added vaulted/beamed ceilings, master suite. Extended dummy waiter to 3rd floor.

Added patrols for back guard and a nobleman.

Added some 'bonus' loot.

Some monster clip.

Spent alot of time screwing with sound_loss prop to stop sound going through clear windows... Now need to add transparent windows instead to block sound.

Realized that thinking ahead is NOT overrated. Got a few paths that might make it too easy so figuring out how I'm gonna limit player movements throughout the mission for improved gameplay.

Wrote done some storyline stuff to help with books when I get there.

Fixed the doorframe objects added more variations/skins - took along time to get back into SVN, update skins, materials,...

While I was working in 3d decided to finish up an old gear I was making. Ingame but final tweaks/skins needed.

Fixed skins on flower models.

@Komag, get crackin' wink.gif

@ BA, sure, would love to hear any comments. It's in the maps folder, I suppose you have the SVN content. (I still haven't got back into the beta map svn).

------

I have a general storyline down, and some decent ideas for notes/books between characters.

Unfortunately my weak point has always been storyline, names...

Don't want to give anything away (not much but I have a couple secrets) but the general plot is:

overheard in a tavern (drunk guard running mouth)-

A wealthy lord is going out of town so his quarters should be easy to loot. When the cat's away the mice will play, the guards will probably be on low alert.

The lord like to collect priceless artifacts.

The maid probably has a key to his quarters.

Then the books will mostly be journals, so and so is mad at so and so for such and such...

So the basic goals will be to nab a certian artifact.

Loot goal

(secret loot goal)

get out alive

possibly no kill, no KO for sure higher level

Pretty meager I know, willing to take any suggestions on names, details, etc...

--------

My plans are to release the manor as a mission, then later I will add a street section to it, change it up a bit (lord will be home)... So it's updated/expanded but new mission as some ai will change, paths will change, etc...

It'll be like part II