Photo

Vertical Contest Mission: Somewhere Above the City by Grayman (Aug 20, 2010)

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Somewhere Above the City by Grayman (2010/8/20) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry (67 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

3. Good (22 votes [32.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.84%

4. Excellent (32 votes [47.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.76%

5. Near Perfect (7 votes [10.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.45%

2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (2 votes [2.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.99%

3. Good (9 votes [13.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

4. Excellent (37 votes [55.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.22%

5. Near Perfect (19 votes [28.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.36%

3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

3. Good (13 votes [19.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.40%

4. Excellent (29 votes [43.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.28%

5. Near Perfect (24 votes [35.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

Awesome mission! :)

Spoiler

#52 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36572 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Thank you for this gorgeous mission with introduction and ending clips.

Is there supposed to be an introduction movie??? :huh:

Let me know if you need more hints.

I haven't actually finished the mission yet, as I got stuck again at the end. I have no idea
Spoiler

I've got just a tiny sliver of health left, so there's no way for me to get back up to the
Spoiler
to see the ending.

There are some things about this map I really loved...the scripted events are excellent, really top-notch--the explosion and the falling platform scared the crap out of me--I can only hope to learn a thing or two from you there; the specialized vocals were great at the beginning, and the clock area at the top was very beautifully done. I also loved the gameplay affect of the lightning, as I was actually spotted once because of it.

Unfortunately, I've also found much to be frustrated about. I frequently didn't know where to go in the mines...after finally finding the temple I spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to get into it. Then at the top of the tower I wasn't sure what to do or where to find the inventor. I'm loaded down with gas and fire arrows, yet there are hardly any adversaries, so it has made the AI a non-issue. All the challenge has come from actually having to figure out where to go and what to do, which might be enjoyable for puzzle-solvers, but it's not my cup of tea. :(

#53 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

Is there supposed to be an introduction movie??? :huh:

I think the reference to the opening clip means the slide-show briefing.

I have no idea

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've got just a tiny sliver of health left, so there's no way for me to get back up to the

Spoiler
to see the ending.

Spoiler

Hope that helps.

#54 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36572 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

The ending video(s) are absolutely fantastic! I wish I'd had a better time with this mission, because those would have knocked my socks off if I hadn't known they were coming. I hope more missions start going that route.

You've definitely pushed the envelope here Grayman...I think with some more AI and some slightly clearer directions this will become a classic.

#55 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

The ending video(s) are absolutely fantastic! I wish I'd had a better time with this mission, because those would have knocked my socks off if I hadn't known they were coming. I hope more missions start going that route.

I agree! It would help a lot to have a wiki tutorial on the stuff.... *wink wink, nudge nudge*
Say no more.. ;)
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#56 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

Hey, does no one have FPS-drops in the tower? I had to constantly reload every 2/3 minutes and that was the mission-killer for me, sadly. Normally I have 60 FPS, have a decent system, so I donīt know why I have these lags? The font disappeared after reloading too, but not in the tower-area where I had to reload often, as I said.

Spoiler

If I werenīt annoyed by the damn lag, I would praise this mission in all categories into Excellent. I hope you make a revised edition with more AIīs, erased bugs, improved performance when you have your new rig, would love to play an expanded version of this, because the atmosphere and optics were great! Damn nice work, Grayman! Posted Image

#57 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

Hey, does no one have FPS-drops in the tower?

Sorry to hear about the lag. For me, on a slow system, it runs anywhere from 5->50 FPS. But with graphics dialed all the way down, I can get through it. I haven't heard anyone else comment about lag, probably because they have fast systems. Not sure why your fast system experienced this.

I'm issuing a v1.1 sometime today, with comments on this thread addressed. I'll add a bit more health. Sadly, performance increases are not one of the changes, because I'm down to bare bones on that, and don't know what else I could do w/o deleting half the brushes.

Thanks for playing.

#58 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:56 AM

I've posted a new version of this map.

You can find the link back at the top of this thread.

Changes:
Spoiler

Thanks to everyone who's played and commented so far.

Edited by grayman, 28 August 2010 - 12:56 AM.

#59 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

Mirrored: http://bloodgate.com...omewhere1.1.pk4

I haven't actually played it yet, maybe I should wait for v1.2? :D Just kidding, what little free time I have I spent coding on TDM, so no time to play :-/
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#60 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Mirrored: http://bloodgate.com...omewhere1.1.pk4

I haven't actually played it yet, maybe I should wait for v1.2? :D Just kidding, what little free time I have I spent coding on TDM, so no time to play :-/

No plans for a 1.2 unless someone finds a fatal bug.

Coding is good. Keep on coding!

#61 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hey, thatīs fast Grayman! :) Now I canīt decide if I play this again (hopefully without lags) or play Komags entry... :wacko:

And thanks @Tels for spending free time coding on TDM! :)

#62 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Downloaded the udated version and ended up with the font bug again (about halfway through) but played it anyways. Loved the mines! Finished with all the loot. Thanks for the mission Grayman

#63 Maethius

Maethius

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

So very well done! I thoroughly enjoyed the mission. The map was well thought out and looked great, the story was good... but the twist was GREAT! We got to see some unique things about Bridgeport here, and you fit the cultural notes in without beating me over the head with an hour of reading. Some specific points of comment:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Great work!
Posted Image

#64 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Spoiler

Glad you enjoyed it!
Spoiler

#65 Soulie

Soulie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'd like to say congratulations on such a fabulous mission. :)
I've now played all but one of the vertical missions and I must say this creation is simply perfect.
The mines were beautiful with all those colourful mushrooms. The clock tower was also superbly done:
Spoiler
Not to mention the cutscenes and scripted events really fuelled me with excitement and eagerness to go on.

The story was not exactly original, however it always makes a winning formula. The point is you did it well! It's like one of those box office hits in the movies :D.

I'm surprised some found this mission hard to navigate. For me it was very well paced and relatively linear with just enough room for exploration. Again perfect.
I think the only negative thing I could say is it's too short!!
I want more :(

I don't think this is deserving of any less than 15/15.
Thank you Grayman for this thrilling experience.

Edited by Soulie, 06 September 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#66 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

I think the only negative thing I could say is it's too short!!
I want more :(
Thank you Grayman for this thrilling experience.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. This was my first published mission, and I've learned a lot from the people who've played so far.

Thanks!

#67 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

Finished in just over an hour. Well done Grayman for a wonderful mission. I really did enjoy the cut scene at the end and it was great to see the slightly different alternative endings. Beautifully done.
Spoiler

#68 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:21 AM

I finally got to finish this one! I started it the day you got it working for me, but, well, sometimes Real Life interrupts things, and I wasn't able to devote the time to truly enjoy it through the end until today.

I am SO glad you were able to fix this for me, Grayman! I loved this mission! Really fun story. :)

Spoiler

Absolutely great, and that's even with being struck by the 'no font' bug from the moment the mission loaded. I didn't care! Thank you so much for working to figure out how I could get this mission to run. It was so worth it!

Edited by Shaz, 09 September 2010 - 06:26 AM.

#69 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

Finished in just over an hour. Well done Grayman for a wonderful mission.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Spoiler

#70 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Great! Glad we were able to track down the problem.

Spoiler

Sorry about the font bug. I'm told that's a TDM problem, but no one's complained about it on other missions. I've seen it and other weird HUD issues on missions I've played. Not sure why it's picking on SATC, though.

Hopefully the other two missions you were having a problem with will get fixed too.

#71 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

Awesome mission, really!

#72 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

Awesome mission, really!

Glad you liked it!

#73 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

I just rush in to tell you that in your new version the briefing delay is PERFECT!! Now Iīm not only able to read all in time, but I can look at the 'pictures' and notice how well arranged they are, and I am able to read the text slower and give it a fitting 'voice-over', in my mind of course! :)

#74 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

I just rush in to tell you that in your new version the briefing delay is PERFECT!! Now Iīm not only able to read all in time, but I can look at the 'pictures' and notice how well arranged they are, and I am able to read the text slower and give it a fitting 'voice-over', in my mind of course! Posted Image

Great!

I was planning to do a voice-over for the briefing, but ran out of time.

Hopefully you'll find the time to go back through the mission to see the other changes. The opening monologue is different, there are more AI, the flasks are now labeled bottles, and the objectives satisfied in the lab and on the roof are less confusing (I think).

#75 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

Iīll go in tonight. I just hope that damn strange slowdowns wonīt happen again... :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users