I am creating a general Windows 10 tech support thread in order to detail any bugs/fixes/tweaks that people come across while using Windows 10 itself or with The Darkmod under Windows 10. I will be updating and tweaking this OP as we go and will provide an index with links to fixes as they come up. This is what I have found since completing the setup of Windows 10 pro on my PC -
red - no fix found yet
blue - working on fix
green - fix found
black - reported only
- How do I clean install windows 10 - if like me you have an SSD or just prefer to install windows 10 you only have one option and its a PITA (and this is the offiail method from Microsoft)
- Using the media-creation tool download either direct to a USB stick or an ISO and write to a USB stick via the Win7 USB tool.
- Backup all your data and then double click on the installer from the USB stick from with in Windows 7/8, and to save time I didn't bother choosing to download any updates(but some users might have to for the upgrade to work). Once Windows 10 is installed, shut down the machine.
- If like me you have an SSD I would strongly recommend a factory reset of the drive using the manufactures tool or a 3rd paty tool like PartedMagic.
- Then reboot the machine with your Windows 10 USB stick, and then install windows, when you get prompted (multiple times for a CD key, just click skip). The PC will reboot a few times and after about 30mins you will have a fresh install of Windows 10.
- Then check 'This PC' and you will find windows is activated.
- The crucial and pertinent fact is that the reason for installing from the USB stick is that, during the first install a hardware HASH is generated from your existing Win7/8 key & motherboard of that particular PC and then written to said USB stick. This is currently the only way I have found to do a clean install - B.S. I know but, there it is.
Bugs & Fixes:
- Right click & Manage on "This PC" no longer works - this seem's to be a random bug
- If your router's firewall has outgoing rules set, browsing in windows 10 results in delays and unresponding sites - I had to turn off all outgoing rules
- No sound from any
XFIsound card, despite driver installed and the card set to default sound output - the fix, is to set bit depth set to 16bit / 44khz
- Can't drag and drop files in windows explorer from r/h pane to a drive on the l/h pane.
- Windows slow and unresponsive at times, fix is to changing the page file size - link
- Another fix for Windows 10 being laggy and unresponsive, permanently disable Windows Defender - link
- Some windows updates are causing infinite bootloop - link
- How to change or remove new start menu and replace with Xp/7 like menu - install Classic shell
- How to Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add or Remove Drives in Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add or Remove Homegroup in Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add or Remove Libraries in Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add or Remove Network in Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add or Remove Quick access in Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add or Remove Recycle Bin in Navigation Pane of File Explorer - link
- How to Add a OneDrive Open or Close Context Menu - link
- How to change ugly Win10 desktop/explorer icons to either older Vista or 7 look - no fix as of yet
- Remove start button/orb from second taskbar when using multiple screens - no fix as of yet
- Some services & programs still start despite being disabled in services.msc and auto start, doing a regedit search and remove is the way to go - link
- If like me you have already removed the search bar, but find Cortana is still running in the background. Here is the fix - link
- How to prevent a broken windows update/driver from installing - link
- No sound with EAX enabled link - the fix for now is to disable EAX as its not currently supported in any TDM missions.
- After installing windows 10, disable (Opt-Out) all privacy settings. But as a report from ArsTechina pointed out, even after the user has opted out, disable cortana/defender and done a bunch of reg hacks - Windows$ is still phoning home - link
- Disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization as 1. it eats up bandwidth and 2. your PC can be used by M$ to distribute updates to other PC's around the globe - link
- Its been reported that M$ has given itself carte blanche to scan your PC for s/w & h/w it deems unauthorised - link
- Another thread detailing how to disable yet more of the tracking and which services/apps are phoning home - link
- Disable/remove the Windows 10 upgrade notification if you are a Windows 7/8 user - link
- Forced Windows 10 update has now been reverted due to public presure and or bad press - link