The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Then you have triple buffering on.

42 (really 40) fps only happens on triple buffering. (on 60hz displays).

If you had double buffering only with Vsync, if a frame can't be displayed in 16.7 ms, then you have to wait another 16.7ms which will drop your 60fps to 30fps.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I don't use triple buffering in TDM, I believe noone does by default, as it's not available in the game menu, and forcing it in cards can mess with other games' performance. So with usual settings, if the DCs or shadow tris go above typical thresholds, the framerate goes down to the same amount, on both of my machines.

I was under the impression that triple buffering was enabled by graphics drivers by default, specifically to avoid the problem of VSync forcing the FPS to a fraction of the frame rate (60 fps -> 30 fps -> 20 fps -> 15 fps etc).

In fact I specifically remember being confused by this when I first started working with Doom 3, because when using the editor I would always get the divided FPS, whereas when playing in game mode the FPS would end up at "impossible" values like 58 FPS as a result of triple buffering.

If we're forcibly disabling triple buffering that seems like a fail, because it's a useful technique.

• Like 1

So it's actually better to play in windowed mode, as you get 10 FPS more and no screen tearing.

Even with triple buffering enabled, personally and for normal gaming, i don't recommend playing in fullscreen bordeless (window mode), unless is a old game and you have plenty of performance to spare, why because IMO it has important disadvantages, one it takes performance out, you still need to render the desktop and everything else behind it, how much performance it takes? That depends on the game, the current scene and your computer power, but I've seen times where i lost more then 5 fps's when playing in borderless mode, at 30 fps that's the diference between a playable and a very laggy game.

Second at lest from other people report's, it introduces input lag, for a slow game like TDM is not that important but for fast shooters it can be very bad, personally I never tested this, because i rarely play fast moving shooters, but to me just the first reason is enough to prefer exclusive fullscreen mode, specially in new games where i need all the performance my PC can muster.

Edited by HMart

Recently I played stuff like MGSV: Phantom Pain and Dark Souls 3 in windowed mode, with Firefox and Spotify in the background, talking to my friends on Facebook. No problems with framerate at all. But I do like to keep my system clean, I don't have any unnecessary tasks in the background or in system tray (usually around 40 processes in task manager), etc.

Anyway, it won't hurt to try. If you can get those 10 FPS without screen tearing, good for you :)

Speaking of mapping-related things, the reloadimages command still makes the shadows disappear until you restart the game.

Before I think about logging a bugtracker, can anyone else confirm if they are seeing lots of STR entries in the main menus..? with the latest update.

Picture showing the bad strings?

The latest changes for "EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES" and a few of the foreign language strings aren't in 2.06 yet. Some aren't even complete yet in SVN.

We're working on it.

Picture showing the bad strings?

post-496-0-35395000-1521188070_thumb.jpg

Its only on that one menu page, all the other main menu pages are fine, and I am only seeing it when I am using a custom tdm short cut eg -

• E:\Darkmod\TheDarkMod.exe +set com_allowConsole 1 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_currentfm shadowhide
  • E:\Darkmod\

post-496-0-06879600-1521188304_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Before I think about logging a bugtracker, can anyone else confirm if they are seeing lots of STR entries in the main menus..? with the latest update.

Everything looks clean for me, both for original TDM and my WIP FM shortcut. I don't use anything more than +set fs_currentfm though. You can use allow_console and other stuff in autocommands.cfg.

Is +set fs_game_base darkmod still necessary for something? Never used it.