Photo

Fan Mission: Chalice of Kings by Fidcal (2009/10/17)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:37 AM

A thief adventurer called Mudgeon thwarted my raid on King Aldreth's Crypt. He sold the plunder and established himself in the Bellworth district. He kept Aldreth's crown and The Chalice of Kings.. Mudgeon has had time to relax his guard. I intend to take advantage...

Please post all feedback and questions in this thread.

#2 peispud

peispud

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

I can't seem to frob the chalice, any hints anyone? By the way, very nice job on this mission :)

#3 Yigg

Yigg

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

I enjoyed Chalice quite a bit!

Two questions:
Spoiler

Neither prevented finishing the mission, but I'm still wondering.

Peispud (spoiler) :
Spoiler

Edited by Yigg, 18 October 2009 - 01:23 AM.

#4 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

Thanks peispud. As Yigg suggested. But if you already have done that then someone else reported another problem and I could never duplicate it. My best guess is
Spoiler

Thanks Yigg: Another bug we found at the last minute and no easy fix.
Spoiler
BTW please use spoilers. I know they are not very obvious in these forums. Select your text. Click 'Other Styles' and you will see the spoiler feature. :)

#5 Briareos H

Briareos H

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

Nice mission, a bit confusing at first (only way to get in I found was to mantle over the metal door, then a lot of locked doors) but really lovely once the thiefy vibe it kicks in.

I have a question:
Spoiler

Thanks for the great map Fidcal.

Edited by Briareos H, 18 October 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#6 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

Nice mission, a bit confusing at first (only way to get in I found was to mantle over the metal door, then a lot of locked doors) but really lovely once the thiefy vibe it kicks in.

I have a question:

Spoiler

Thanks BH. That's a legitimate way in but
Spoiler

• Florian likes this

#7 RailGun

RailGun

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

I have a question:

Spoiler

Hint
Spoiler

By the way, has anyone managed to ghost the mission?, i can't take the crown without alerting the other guards and placing the fake doesn't seem to do much good
  • Florian likes this

#8 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

You have to place it roughly where the original was. Doesn't have to be precise. Not easy. That's why it is optional. But it is possible as I've done it many times. In fact it gets easy with practice. But then, I've had months of practice with moving and placing dark mod objects. ;)

[EDIT] perhaps I should add that
Spoiler

Hint

Spoiler

By the way, has anyone managed to ghost the mission?, i can't take the crown without alerting the other guards and placing the fake doesn't seem to do much good

#9 Briareos H

Briareos H

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thanks, finally found what I was looking for !

#10 Wormrat

Wormrat

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

Not sure if this counts as "bug" or "alternate solution:"
Spoiler

Really liked the key placement in this mission. I haven't tried ghosting, but it would be a real challenge with all the backtracking--great way to get the most out of a small mission.

Edited by Wormrat, 18 October 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#11 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

Spoiler

#12 Wormrat

Wormrat

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

I went through again and ghosted it. Very fun with the replacement crown (of course I had to test to see if they'd react without it), and the silent mantling makes you feel like a ninja when you're up on a bed or in the rafters.

Edited by Wormrat, 18 October 2009 - 04:36 PM.

• Florian likes this

#13 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

Ah! So you succeeded. Good. Apart from myself you might be the only one to have done it so far as I snuck it in at the last minute! ;)

#14 bladeghost

bladeghost

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:43 AM

Hi everyone as im new to the darkmod forums but am an active member or the doom3 community.

First of all well done and very impressive.

yet I've had a diffucult spot I've run into.
on the third floor room with the chalice and dome the safe on the wall
contains items, like a key,loot and such, however they are not retrevable and
I cannot pick them up. I shot an arrow in at the cup to knock it out of the safe and was still
not able to pick it up. (nice cubemapping by the way)

is it supposed to be that way?

I'm thinking not but if I need the key in the safe to progress I can't take it.
so I guess I'm stuck.

Thanks.

JV

#15 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:26 AM

I see my error. I did the same on the safe in the trainer but I fixed that but missed this. What happens is when the safe is opened it makes the items frobable and it should also be set up to make them unfrobable when closed but I missed that out. So, what has happened here is that you have opened the safe but probably you were close and the door was blocked by your body and stopped. The items are now frobable but you can't see them yet and anyway the door would get in the way of frobbing. You step back a little and frob again and it closes. But the items are still frobable but blocked by the door and anyway you don't know. So you open the door again. This toggles the frob off so you can't frob them.

A workaround is this: I just tried it and managed to do it but it is a bit hit and miss so try a few times:

Close the door and move in close and open it and deliberately block the door again. Close it again. Now step back and open it again. If still no luck try this: With the door open, close it but block it from closing. Then open it again. Keep checking the contents to see if you can now frob them. I got it eventually. The contents are not mission-vital
Spoiler

BTW remember spoilers. :) These are not obvious but look under Other Styles.

#16 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3123 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:54 AM

I went through again and ghosted it. Very fun with the replacement crown (of course I had to test to see if they'd react without it), and the silent mantling makes you feel like a ninja when you're up on a bed or in the rafters.

Indeed, I ghosted it nearly completely too. There is just that scene at the beginning,
Spoiler

Aside from this minor issue, I enjoyed this mission very much, especially on my second way through.

#17 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15977 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

Spoiler

#18 bladeghost

bladeghost

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:40 AM

I see my error. I did the same on the safe in the trainer but I fixed that but missed this. What happens is when the safe is opened it makes the items frobable and it should also be set up to make them unfrobable when closed but I missed that out. So, what has happened here is that you have opened the safe but probably you were close and the door was blocked by your body and stopped. The items are now frobable but you can't see them yet and anyway the door would get in the way of frobbing. You step back a little and frob again and it closes. But the items are still frobable but blocked by the door and anyway you don't know. So you open the door again. This toggles the frob off so you can't frob them.

A workaround is this: I just tried it and managed to do it but it is a bit hit and miss so try a few times:

Close the door and move in close and open it and deliberately block the door again. Close it again. Now step back and open it again. If still no luck try this: With the door open, close it but block it from closing. Then open it again. Keep checking the contents to see if you can now frob them. I got it eventually. The contents are not mission-vital

Spoiler

BTW remember spoilers. Posted Image These are not obvious but look under Other Styles.

Thanks FIDCAL bud, at least I know it's not something on my end. That helps me.

#19 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3123 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:11 AM

Ah never mind. I had the key and we are talking about the same guard, but I just didn't know how to get past him, until I just recently realized that he looks (hardly noticable) to the side sometimes. I'm actually no ghoster, so I'm not used to check for details like that... :)

#20 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36515 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

Spoiler
It was a tricky spot though.

#21 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3123 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:38 AM

But I see that you have used a couple of the textures I donated and I'm glad about it. I almost thought they'd go to waste... =)

Edited by STiFU, 19 October 2009 - 12:40 PM.

#22 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

That was my first thought but now I think Stifu means coming *out* of the kitchen right? Yeah I usually make sure he's not looking my way then dash for the next shadow. :)

#23 Chiron

Chiron

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

A question out of curiosity: Why does my framerate take such a hit in the scene below.
This is with AA ON, AA OFF adds ~ 4 fps
Posted Image

At first I thought that it was caused by the shadows of the lamps, but with them off it is
only slightly better:

Posted Image

In a similar scene my framerate is alright:

Posted Image

And a question on the map:
Spoiler

Edited by Chiron, 19 October 2009 - 01:55 PM.

#24 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Sorry, can't help with framerate problem.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#25 Chiron

Chiron

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Sorry, can't help with framerate problem.

Spoiler

Spoiler

And where is the
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users