The Dark Mod Forums

List of Inverted Normal Maps

Serpentine

the hight is given from the blue component or channel so just invert the blue channel.

It depends:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Inverting_Normalmaps

Do you guys have a psd file of roof\shingles_red or any other filetype with layers? I need it's background without the tile-structure, because I'd like to redo it, while maintaining its overall tone. I have never done any actual texture-drawing and I'd love to give it a shot. In its current state, it's clearly just a placeholder... (no offense) :rolleyes:

What a shame, I would have needed an imagefile with layers in order to get the background of it. It'd not be worth the effort to remove those painted shingle-structures by hand.

Edited by STiFU

Oh, I remade that texture a while back since I got rage at seeing it on every 2nd roof :)

I never finished the normalmap, so there is artifacting at one side, but if you guys would like I can fix that up and release it to TDM/Mappers

redshingles.th.jpg

This was my source image, tho it doesnt seem that great - I spent a good while digging around google images and nothing else really came close at matching the old version.

Edited by Serpentine

The texture has potential, Serp. If you should have a go at it again, you should also edit the structure a bit, because you have cropped at the wrong position. If you have a closer look, you'll notice that some tiles have three "waves" and some have only one, while all should basically have two!! ;)

Here, you can play with it. It's a PSD file saved in GIMP: http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/shingles_red.zip

Final image was desaturated a bit. 

Nice. Expect screens tomorrow... :)

Edited by STiFU

So, I sat down after finally deciding there was no real good source image for the style used in the orig and just started drawing it up from scratch freehand. After about 20 minutes of work it was actually looking pretty damn good - I never suspected it would look fairly good. I go to make some tea. The complex I live in's power dies and my ups is overloaded and as such does nothing to keep things running. I work in one layer and rarely save (both because I seem to be mentally challenged by clicking buttons). I love the 3rd world.

Anyway, re-the randomness, yeah I will add in the vertical bits to seperate to single tiles later. The cropping issue you seem to notice is more that I do rollover seamless removal and as such really dont care about where things cut off etc as the texture should always be used to tile, and at worst could just be nudged into place :)

Here's the texture fixed up a bit : single tiles

tilert.th.jpg

I think the next textures that need some love are grass and perhaps a few skins for different leaves on the tree models, different leaf shapes and seasons would be pretty hot.

Edited by Serpentine

So, here is my revision of shingles_red. The lightning is not very good for this texture, so I'll post the original for comparison as well. (Gamma has been raised on the first two screenshots) Note that I didn't actually draw the new texture, unlike I originally intended. I used the shinglestructures of another texture by using an highpassfilter on it and displaying the result in overlay blendmode in front of the original background. From that other texture I also created the blue one below.

Original / Revision

beforevm.th.jpgafters.th.jpg

I also made a shiny one, as I feel that ceramic tiles often reflect light pretty strongly, especially if they're wet. And I thought, maybe a blue one would do well too... :)

redshiny.th.jpgblueshiny.th.jpg

Anyway, re-the randomness, yeah I will add in the vertical bits to seperate to single tiles later. The cropping issue you seem to notice is more that I do rollover seamless removal and as such really dont care about where things cut off etc as the texture should always be used to tile, and at worst could just be nudged into place :)

The problem is, that irregularities in structure or color/brightness form patterns when tiled over a big area, which are perceived very strongly by a human observer. So things like that should always be avoided. Good work on that texture though. I do wonder though how it looks, when you look straight down on it. Also, there is a little artifact at the upper right side of that roof. Could be a jpeg artifact, but it might as well be an error in the normalmap. It's hardly noticeable though...

Edited by STiFU

tdown.th.jpg75215575.th.jpgtwall.th.jpg

One of the row edges is slightly darker, but besides that I cant really see any issues with tiling, they already look too untouched, I'll add some dirt and stuff.

Also I dont really see the point of a top down shot, you'd never pave a horizontal surface with roofing tiles, since you know... not the best idea, the one at and angle provides a realistic 'standing on a soping roof' take, even in the direction which is worst to expose the bottoms! Will upload them later, and include the perspective corrected version at 2kx2k

Edited by Serpentine

Thanks! :) I'll put up the files later in our conversation.

Serpentine, you got me wrong or maybe I got you wrong.... ;) Before you edited your texture some tiles consisted of three waves, some of two and some of one and structures like that don't tile well, because they would build patterns. But you already fixed that by now. I was just meaning to say that it's important to look out for stuff like that...

Keeping two waves per tile with row-wise displacement would probably have looked cool too and I assume that the original image did it this way as well. I also agree that it looks a little too clean. A few quick little colortone variations will probably do the job perfectly. And it doesn't look weird too if you look straight on it (last screenshot). Good work! I really like those. They look damn realistic...

Edited by STiFU

Nice work, Serpentine, it looks incredible real in your shot with the windows.

As for reference, here is a (German, and VERY image heavy) thread from a model-building (e.g. to scale and trains :) forum:

http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/printview.php?t=6691&start=0

Scroll down to about 2/3 where they discuss roofing tiles (yes, these guys are an*l about details :)

I couldn't find the linked documents, but here are a few references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbrex_and_tegula (old roman style, ancient)

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Nonnemoenchrp.jpg&filetimestamp=20051111182750 (Monk and Nun style, wonder whos top? :)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biberschwanz (Beaver's tail)

Wikipedia article:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachziegel (The English variant is less informative)

It is interesting to know that industrial roof tiles where invented only 1881 - and the "Doppelfalzziegel" (double fold tile) is from about 1900..1930. That's pretty modern for Thief.

Lots if interesting reading.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

So, here is my revision of shingles_red.

Nice. My only complaint would be that dark areas on edge of each tile (light blue area on normalmap) are not lit when light hits it from below.

tilest.jpg

Hence there's no effect of overlapping of tiles.

tiles2.jpg

I'm guessing that part of diffusemap is 100% black. Other than that it looks very good.

It's only a model...

Yeah, it's the shading from the sourcetexture. Removing it on the blue one looked really crappy, so I didn't even bother to do it here. But I realize now, that it's much easier in this case, because of the structural background.

*couple of minutes later*

You're right, it looks much better now especially if you look at a tilted surface. However, I will have to revisit the normalmap now, since it doesn't behave correctly sometimes as can be seen on screenshot two. (Note: There is a seam visible on screenshot one, because I didn't make it tileable yet again, after raising the borderbrightness)

raisedborders.th.jpgraisedborders2.th.jpg

• Like 1

You're right, it looks much better now especially if you look at a tilted surface. However, I will have to revisit the normalmap now, since it doesn't behave correctly sometimes as can be seen on screenshot two.

Looks great :) Second screenshots looks ok to me too. It's only 2d image after all. It will never be perfect.

It's only a model...

I fixed it anyway... ;) I also just thought of an really cool way to fix the shading on the blue roof-texture. I just duplicated it, used thresholding to seperate the shadows in the borders into a mask. That mask got widened a little using the maximum-filter and blurred afterwards. Now I created a third duplicate of the texture, shifted it 10 pixels upwards (including wrap-around) and used the border-mask as a layermask. Done! :D The downside is of this, that you can perceive repetitions if you look really closely. Because of that, I blurred the new bordertexture a little and added some noise. Man I love photoshop!! :)

Anyhoo, we most likely should fork into a seperate thread for texture request/redo and leave this one for texture mistakes/problems;

Been playing around with using normal maps that have been recoloured from raycast rendered ao/height maps, comes out with some pretty cool stuff for more chaotic textures like forest ground etc, gives a nice scale of depth for the lighting which I find very hard to do quick non-by hand maps, even touching up generated ones doesnt really look as nice. Tho these screenshots are rendered without the AO maps, still looks pretty cool I think.

fore1.th.jpgfore2.th.jpg

Nice work, stifu!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax