The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

It should be the same process.

Rich can you do me a big favour please, could you do me a zip file with the correct folder structure as I'm messing up somewhere - I cant see my custom sky in DR, thanks.

Also is there a way to do an "F3" type search in the media browser..?

Edited by Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall I had to rename the Light Texture for the moon beams in NHAT and the Training map to kill them. But I suspect changing the moon-beam light texture in Gimp then making the material definition that matches the moon-beam one is a bit too much at this point.

Wouldn't adding this to the light properties do it?

But isn't that what happens in Dark Radiant anyway... (or is supposed to happen)?

Sort of. That's a material keyword. You would have to open up the material shader and add that 'color' line. (which should work just fine.)

You might also be thinking of the spawnarg "_color", but that really only works with "colorme" textures.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Thanks Mortem!

Well that's easier than re-coloring the light texture and making a new material definition. If nobody chimes in before I get home I will find the material def file and post a modified copy.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sort of. That's a material keyword. You would have to open up the material shader and add that 'color' line. (which should work just fine.)

Found the following from DR -

textures/darkmod/sfx/moon_light_rays_dim
{

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/sfx/light_rays_ed
twoSided
noshadows
nonsolid
noselfshadow
{
	blend gl_one,gl_one
	map textures/darkmod/sfx/light_rays
	scroll	time * 0.15 , time * 0

red	0.05*(parm7 * global1)
	green	0.05*(parm7 * global1)
	blue	0.075*(parm7 * global1)
}

}

where would I put the "_colour " line and I assume I just make my own .mtr file and put in the materials folder so I can export the customization with the FM..

[update]

I found the yellow beams... but it would still be usefull to know the above in case i want some other colours..

Edited by Bikerdude

Rich can you do me a big favour please, could you do me a zip file with the correct folder structure as I'm messing up somewhere - I cant see my custom sky in DR, thanks.

Also is there a way to do an "F3" type search in the media browser..?

Just so this request dosent get lost...

I suspect that you could put it right below the "map textures" line but you should be able to change the number values in these lines instead:

red 0.05*(parm7 * global1)

green 0.05*(parm7 * global1)

blue 0.075*(parm7 * global1)

That will probably perform better as well (one less operation).

OK

This "map textures/darkmod/sfx/light_rays" is probably all the dust and animating sparkles.

So...

Putting the the color (colour) key word below this line:

"qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/sfx/light_rays_ed"

...might do the trick (unless the moon beam is made of more parts than I'm aware of???)?

Edited by nbohr1more

Here's a light with colorme props

textures/darkmod/window/lamp_glass_lit_opaque_colorme

{

glass

noshadows

noselfshadow

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/window/lamp_glass_colorme_ed

specularmap textures/darkmod/window/lamp_glass_s

{

blend add

map textures/darkmod/window/lamp_glass_colorme

colored

}

{

blend add

map textures/darkmod/window/lamp_glass_colorme

colored

}

// TDM Ambient Method Related

{

if (global5 == 1)

blend add

map _black

scale 1, 1

red global2

green global3

blue global4

}

{

if (global5 == 2)

blend add

program ambientEnvironment.vfp

vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump

vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular, Z: ambient reflection scale

vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1

vertexParm 3 0

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1

fragmentMap 1 _flat // Bump

fragmentMap 2 _black // Diffuse

fragmentMap 3 textures/darkmod/window/lamp_glass_s // Specular

}

}

--------

I think the diffuse needs to be in a blend stage, and have 'colored' in that stage.

Not sure why that's there twice.

Those textures should be greyscale so you don't get weird tints.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

ok, don't use Baddcog's material - it's from the development version and unlikely a great idea(or maybe a good one, I'm uncertain).

I've had a look for the reasoning as to why we had shaderParm7(i.e the current ones in training mission etc) being used and it looks like it was just meant to be for the brightness of bloom... and since we don't use bloom anymore I think you can get away with a easier material which can also be adjusted for different uses very easily in comparison compared!

Paste this into your fm's material file:

textures/darkmod/sfx/bikers_moonrays
{
qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/sfx/light_rays_ed
twoSided
noshadows
nonsolid
noselfshadow
{
	blend gl_one,gl_one
	map textures/darkmod/sfx/light_rays
	scroll	time * 0.15 , time * 0
               colored
}
}

Apply that to your patches and use the _color spawnarg and selector to set your colour. you'll most likely be looking at quite dark stuff. Tested in game and the results are pretty much the same as the old version, but it will look terrible if you don't specify a colour. Just remember, darker colours = fainter.

... could you do me a zip file with the correct folder structure ...

This is how a pk4 with a cubemap sky would be structured...

I've included dummy files in the place of valid TGAs.

Also the search feature in DarkRadiant is a bit lacking. It only works on the last portion and it only searches in expanded folders. For instance the material in the above pk4 is named "textures/skies/bikersky" so you would type "bikersky" while the media inspector has focus. Additionally DarkRadiant would only highlight the material if the textures and sky directories were already expanded.

For instance the material in the above pk4 is named "textures/skies/bikersky" so you would type "bikersky"

I don't really understand how that would be bad, typing out textures/skies/ seems quite a bit longer unless I'm not catching your drift... and in most cases you don't know exactly what you're looking for and just go on a keyword like "copper" and hit the down arrow til you find what you're looking for (or F3 until you realize you're not in your browser... I may do this quite often)

Additionally DarkRadiant would only highlight the material if the textures and sky directories were already expanded.

I'll admit, I was looking for the expand all option for ages... finally worked out that shift+arrow key expended all subtrees. so when I hit the material browser I just shift+right immediately and start typing, but yeah fairly strange.

I guess it's something I've got used to, but I do find it quite comforting coming from my background of laziness thanks to zsh :/

I'm not really a map author. My first inclination when I realized you could search for materials was to type the whole name. I realize that's not practical but considering the full name is "textures\skies\bikersky" it should work shouldn't it?

Also I can't think of a practical use for limiting the search to expanded folders. Shouldn't it search the entire tree even if the folders aren't expanded?

Anyway, I didn't know about the shift + right shortcut nor the ability to find the next/previous match using up and down. Thanks.

next/previous match using up and down

Hugely helpful! Hurrah! Hooray! I'd asked about this before. And I don't think anyone around at the time knew about this... so I'm recommending you take this this to the "Tip Of The Day".

Thanks, Serpentine.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

This is how a pk4 with a cubemap sky would be structured...

thanks RiB - I did this already but I had a small typo in the mtr file which was stopping it from being seen in the media inspector, doh! So I get to see a image of what the new sky looks like in the media inspector, do I just put an example image as follows " textures/skies/bikersky.tga "

Also using my new sky texture, DR throw's up a leak error when dmap'ing, but then so do few other doom3 skies from the skies folder.

I'll admit, I was looking for the expand all option for ages... finally worked out that shift+arrow key expended all subtrees. so when I hit the material browser I just shift+right immediately and start typing, but yeah fairly strange.

very useful, thanks Serps. Still it would be usefull to have a more user friendly F3 based search function..

Edited by Bikerdude

Haha! I didn't know this myself and I wrote the book - well the wiki controls article anyway. I'll add it to Tip of the Day and also to the wiki. Mind you, it didn't help me find the sack materials used in one of the awning skins because its not called sack but tdm_roughcloth_green. Also it's not green but brown! Yes, I checked with a colour checker just in case my eyes were deceiving me. So which control would you use to find a brown sack when its called rough cloth green? Answer: self control. ;)

So I get to see a image of what the new sky looks like in the media inspector, do I just put an example image as follows " textures/skies/bikersky.tga "

The preview image used in the media inspector is specified by using the qer_editorimage keyword.

So if you were to place an image in the location you've mentioned you'd add...

qer_editorimage textures/skies/bikersky.tga

... to your material shader.

Also using my new sky texture, DR throw's up a leak error when dmap'ing, but then so do few other doom3 skies from the skies folder.

None of the Doom 3 skies should leak. Are you applying the texture to a patch? Patches don't seal the map so if you're not using patches I'd be curious to know the name of the texture being used so I can try reproducing it.

You might try adding forceOpaque to your material shader. I see it's used in textures/common/caulk and it seems reasonable to assume that's the property that causes the material to seal the map.

qer_editorimage textures/skies/bikersky.tga

None of the Doom 3 skies should leak. Are you applying the texture to a patch? Patches don't seal the map so if you're not using patches I'd be curious to know the name of the texture being used so I can try reproducing it.

Hi Rich

Ive added the live above to the global section of my bikersky.mtr file

the skybox is made of 6 caulked brushes, the inner surfaces of which have the skytexture on them.

One, of the doom skybox textures thats causing a leak is - textures/skies/duffyblah_sk. I got around my leak problem my making patches inside the caulk skybox.

Edited by Bikerdude

Mind you, it didn't help me find the sack materials used in one of the awning skins because its not called sack but tdm_roughcloth_green. Also it's not green but brown! Yes, I checked with a colour checker just in case my eyes were deceiving me. So which control would you use to find a brown sack when its called rough cloth green?

eng101.png A good question that I've seen asked a few times... and one which is actually quite easily answered!

The best method for finding a material you arn't 100% sure of, but know it exists on a model is simply to open the model browser. Expand all the trees by clicking them and then [shift+right arrow key], Search for the model you want. Once you find and select it you should be able to see what you're looking for the model info. Using your example :

modelmaterialth.png

[click image thumbnail for larger]

We can see the correct material name that we're interested in. Since the model only uses two materials and one is a wood texture it's fairly easy in this case, but most times logic will get you there in a few seconds.

Now, since the material name doesnt start with "textures/..." it will fall into the "Other Materials" category at the bottom of the media browser. You could also select a brush/patch and paste the full material name into the "Shader Name" text box (useful if you're working with textures that DR isnt configured to see i.e testing an fm).

Morning:

This may be a wood for the trees issue...

I have setup a readable(see attached) the rekib.xd file is in the xdata folder(see below), which I can open up in the readable's editor etc.

rekib
{
precache
"num_pages"	: "1"
"page1_left_title"	:
{
""
}
"page1_left_body"	:
{
"blah blah blah..."
}
"page1_right_title"	:
{
""
}
"page1_right_body"	:
{
""
}
"gui_page1"	: "guis/readables/books/book_calig_mac_humaine.gui"
"snd_page_turn"	: "readable_page_turn"
}

(ignore the formatting, its the forum doing that)

Why is doom giving me the xdata declaration error for the above ...?

post-496-128157240046_thumb.jpg

If you looked at that before, note that I've just added a couple more.

I didnt think to lkook at the wiki because that readable came from and works in my other contest mission. I will consult the wiki and start from scratch on the readables.

[update]

fixed it, for what ever reason the way I setup the book was causing the problem. So I deleted it and used basic prefab than changed the model and tada!

Edited by Bikerdude