The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and I believe yes.

The trick is having some kindof walkable platform for the AI. I glanced over somthing last night but I was searching for sounds/alerting sounds when I saw it.

Oh, search for movers

(not sure if the prefabs/mechanical/elevator is set up for AI or not)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

You guys love to make things difficult for yourselves. ;)

Yes, there is a fully working elevator system which the AI can use. The only restriction is that currently it has to be their only route. If there is an alternative like stairs then they will use that even if it is further.

Yes, there is a fully comprehensive wiki article.

There is a fully working prefab so you only have to insert it. It is three floors but if you only want two then just delete the top button in the elevator and either delete the upper part or obscure it.

correct.

But the monster clip doesn't have to be exact, just a ramp below the strais is fine.

I think they can walk like 48 units above clip.

The AF file sets their ankle to waist distance, and that's what controls how their feet hit the steps. So their brain sees the ramp and their feet see the steps.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

But the monster clip doesn't have to be exact, just a ramp below the strais is fine.

well I have been using ramps for the last 2 maps, but just wanted to be sure. Sometime when the stairs are steep, I used a clip textures for both the player and Ai, and then just put a nodraw material patch just above for footstep sound.

question:

Keys, doors and Ai -

I have a gate and a guard and I have the following args on him -

"def_attach6" "atdm:prop_silverkey"
"pos_attach6" "belt_back_right"
"name_attach6" "gate_key"
"set inv_name on key_private" "gate key"
"set name on key_private" "gate_key"
"used_by" "gate_key"

The gate has "used by" "gate_key" & "used_by1" "guard". The guard cant unlock gate and when I pickpocket the key it dosent have the right name (silver key), which is why I assume he cant unlock the gate.

What am i doing wrong.

Edited by Bikerdude

I'm not so familiar with these def attach methods but here goes:

used_by should go on the gate

You are naming the key entity: gate_key (I think) but are setting the inv name etc on key_private. I think that line should be "name_attach6" "key_private" or else the other two want changing to gate_key

You are naming the key entity: gate_key (I think) but are setting the inv name etc on key_private. I think that line should be "name_attach6" "key_private" or else the other two want changing to gate_key

ah so it should be as follows -

"def_attach6" "atdm:prop_silverkey"
"pos_attach6" "belt_back_right"
"name_attach6" "gate_key"
"set inv_name on gate_key" "gate key"
"set name on gate_key" "gate_key"

sweet that fixed it - I have updated the wiki as it wasn't clear etc.

Edited by Bikerdude

Question:

Is it possible to put images/art into readable's..?

Yes, I've got a working version of this. It is possible to put the graphics right on the same background page within the gui but I find there was lag so it was best to change each background. Basically:

•  
  • extract the the gui you chose for your xdata
  • Rename it eg, mygraphicbook1.gui
  • Extract the background image named in it
  • Add your graphic to it in paint prog and save as eg mybackground1
  • Repeat for all pages
  • In the xdata change the gui names for each page.

Also regarding the Ai/key subject above, I know I can set no spawned keys to dropable but when I do the same with spawned keys it leqaves them in mid air...

This would need some examination of the prop def. Maybe they were never moveables.

Ok thisd is a question and a rant:

why is it so fucking hard to get Ai to sleep on a bed and the right height. Either they clip some part of the bed and or monsterclip so end up a foot in the air, or they are partially sink into the matress..

ggrrr...

:angry:

Edited by Bikerdude

Dunno. Sometimes they seem just right and other times it's impossible without some devious fiddling. Here's one I did the other month:

The bed is solid 0. The brushwork is worldspawn and its textures/common/tdm_nodrawsolid_cloth. Sometimes you might need that to be lower than the bed height. In this case it is about exactly the same or slightly higher. The thing is, it gives you control. Monsterclip around the lot. He animates right through it.

It might work if it was a fixed height above the standing position at the side of the bed and just ignored the bed. It's almost like the code is trying to adjust and getting it wrong. Most beds are a set height or ought to be. They can be slightly lowered into the floor or raised up on small blocks unnoticeably anyway. But as it is, it is difficult to figure out what they are going to do except by trial and error. With a fixed height from standing that never changes (or indeed could have a spawnarg offset for a small amount say plus or minus 10 or 20) then one can adjust the bed.

I had some weird effects in Heart where in one room one sleeper sank through the bed to the floor, the next slept on the floor next to the bed facing the wrong way! (even though I had set the spawnarg) and the third floated a few inches high over the bed. In another room a similar guard was low in the bed. :laugh:

Yes. If you just want them to face each other then use a path_wait and turn it to face the other AI. I've used that here and there, for instance near the start of Alchemist the patrolling guard comes and stands looking at the tavern guard. From down the street it looks like they may be muttering to each other. If you want something more elaborate then use a conversation entity (see wiki.)

2 questions:

• Where is the wiki article with regard briefing intro movies..?
  • and wtf is this error in the dmap compile and why is it coinciding with my Ai not following their paths correctly (see attached condump)

WARNING: node without a volume

&

------------- Warnings ---------------

during compiling AAS...

WARNING: brush 1587 on entity 0 is unbounded( -111.36 609.52 1112.00 )-( -107.

95 615.58 1124.73 )-( 3.41 6.07 12.73 )

WARNING: brush 1591 on entity 0 is unbounded( -111.36 609.52 1112.00 )-( -107.

WARNING: brush 575 on entity 0 is unbounded( 469.14 466.91 103.40 )-( 484.00 4

68.00 208.00 )-( 14.85 1.09 104.60 )

WARNING: brush 575 on entity 0 is unbounded( 469.14 466.91 103.40 )-( 484.04 4

76.11 208.00 )-( 14.89 9.21 104.60 )

4 warnings

------------- Warnings ---------------

during compiling AAS...

WARNING: brush 1587 on entity 0 is unbounded( -111.36 609.52 1112.00 )-( -107.

WARNING: brush 1591 on entity 0 is unbounded( -111.36 609.52 1112.00 )-( -107.

WARNING: brush 575 on entity 0 is unbounded( 469.14 466.91 103.40 )-( 484.00 4

68.00 208.00 )-( 14.85 1.09 104.60 )

WARNING: brush 575 on entity 0 is unbounded( 469.14 466.91 103.40 )-( 484.04 4

76.11 208.00 )-( 14.89 9.21 104.60 )

4 warnings

]condump stalban.txt

Dumped console text to stalban.txt.

:huh::angry:

stalban.txt

Edited by Bikerdude

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)