• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aged Copper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Minneapolis_City_Hall.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Copper_Ingot_Crete.jpg

Aged Bronze:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Assorted_bronze_castings.JPG

Scales, the same idea as shingles but rounded instead. I'll try make a flat version of both for things like statues and machines etc, as well as scale versions for roofing use (since making large sheets of metal looks a bit lame and too uniform)

Aged Copper:

http://en.wikipedia....s_City_Hall.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....Ingot_Crete.jpg

Aged Bronze:

http://en.wikipedia....ze_castings.JPG

Scales, the same idea as shingles but rounded instead. I'll try make a flat version of both for things like statues and machines etc, as well as scale versions for roofing use (since making large sheets of metal looks a bit lame and too uniform)

Flat is perfect, and the color (edit: not the scaling) in the city hall photo is perfect. cross that city hall photo with this texture:

th_bronze_patina.jpg

(maybe not QUITE as drippy, but you get the idea) and thats exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks in advance, this helps a bunch.

2nd edit: Now that i think of it, those discolorations on a large roof would end up tiling and be a serious eyesore... maybe the large contrast discolorations would be better off as decals?

Edited by ungoliant

shot00079e.th.jpg

shot00078p.th.jpg

First test of some copper roofing (normal needs work and maybe a specular map and the lighting is very yellow there). More or less what you were thinking?

that looks badass. I only worry about the scaling because i will be constructing conical roofs manually out of patch triangles (will have squarish window blocks protruding from them, and the player will be able to explore those rooms, not to mention some of the roof cones are not symmetrical at all) and i just think that aligning all the roof textures will take me 20 hours of my time if scaled after the 20 hours it takes to construct the entire roof.

Its possible that the roof of my concept is indeed scaled but its just so low res that i can't see it, but at the same time, i really am envisioning on the flat parts of this roof that there are large sheets of copper/bronze just slapped on there. here is the concept pic.

th_bighouse.jpg

I dunno, i just see these in my minds eye as flat surfaces without scaling. thoughts?

shot00083.th.jpg

I don't really use patches much, but making a quick mock up using brushes seemed ok, I didnt align anything just hit "natural". If you arnt inspecting the roof up close the alignment isn't a problem... A flat texture to me would look out of place and quite unrealistic, then again I dont really restrict myself to those things :)

I'll give you some shots with a flat version tomoz.

Edited by Serpentine

hmmmmm... that DOES look really good. when you post tomorrow can you use the same ss with the flat textures instead of the scaled, for comparison? im getting excited now, my roof is gonna look sweet. Also i have no idea how to go about changing textures on a model, but i'd love to see some ss's of a couple of the tdm statue models with the flat version of that texture.

This is lengthy for the average mapper but simple changes can be made.

A generalised simplification for most mappers would be:

•  
  • Find the model name and path you want.
  • Open the models pk4 in a zip file
  • Open the model into a plain text editor
  • Search for the material def names: .ase are plain text; .lwo are binary but you can see the materials.
  • Open the materials pk4 and extract to a temp folder
  • Find the material def(s) that match in the model
  • Copy it/them to a new file to go with your FM, eg, materials\mymap.mtr
  • Rename those defs to a new suitable unique name.
  • Look through the defs for the diffusemap, the actual texture image.
  • It won't have a suffix but they are mostly dds files.
  • Extract the dds pk4 using an unzip program into a temp folder
  • Get http://72.8.59.188/TheDarkMod/Files/ATI_Compressonator_v1.21.zip
  • Use it to extract the dds image to a tga
  • Load the tga into a paint program
  • Modify it, eg, adjust the colour. If you do much more to change it then you need to consider the bump (contour) and specular (shininess) maps too.
  • Save it in the darkmod folder to go with your FM as a tga file in eg, textures\mymap\mytex.tga
  • Go back to your new material def file and change the path name of the texture image to yours.
  • Create a new plain text skin file eg, skins\mymap.skin to go with your FM.
  • In it put:

skin mynewskinname

{

model XXX models/doodydoodydo.lwo

originalmaterialdef XXX mynewmaterialdef

}

For XXX just replace with a space. I put in XXX because I find it really hard to spot the single space in eg, can you?

skin nobleman/white_tunic

{

model models/md5/chars/nobles/nobleman1/tdm_ai_nobleman.md5mesh

model tdm_ai_nobleman1

models/md5/chars/nobles/nobleman1/tunic models/md5/chars/nobles/nobleman1/tunic_white_ornate

models/md5/nobles/nobleman1/shoulderpads models/md5/chars/nobles/nobleman1/tunic_white_ornate

models/md5/nobles/nobleman1/collar1 models/md5/chars/nobles/nobleman1/tunic_white_ornate

}

Here is a simple example I made for my own FM to change the doom3 paper wad to a parchment colour suitable for a screwed up message. Can you see the space in the middle of the textures line between...

textures/object/paperdec2_crumple AND... blank_freshpaper_scroll

skin readables/paperwad1_blank

{

model models/mapobjects/filler/paperwad1.lwo

textures/object/paperdec2_crumple blank_freshpaper_scroll

}

Effectively it is saying:

REPLACE textures/object/paperdec2_crumple WITH blank_freshpaper_scroll

Which would be a lot easier to read!

All that remains is to add the skin as a spawnarg to your entity so in the above case I make a doom3 paper wad and give it my skin.

If someone knowledgeable can check I have not missed anything from the above quick summary out of my head it might be worth pasting into the wiki?

sheetcopper.th.jpgsheetcopper1.th.jpgskinsk.th.jpg

They look ok to me, keep thinking of adding a slight coppery specular to some sections of them but it never works out how I imagine it.

You can get the reduced (1024x1024) version(tga, convert to dds yourself ;)) here

also includes basic material def and the example skin file for those statues.

Will donate it to TDM too, just need to get some time to neaten up the .pds files. But that should be good enough res for your FM :)

sheetcopper.th.jpgsheetcopper1.th.jpgskinsk.th.jpg

They look ok to me, keep thinking of adding a slight coppery specular to some sections of them but it never works out how I imagine it.

You can get the reduced (1024x1024) version(tga, convert to dds yourself ;)) here

also includes basic material def and the example skin file for those statues.

Will donate it to TDM too, just need to get some time to neaten up the .pds files. But that should be good enough res for your FM :)

looks fantastic and thanks for the skinning walkthrough, i'll definately be making use of that asap as theres a wooden balustrade model that i plan to change to a white marble texture for fencing in a 2nd floor porch area. i'll be posting a finalized ss of my front entrance complete with the new textures on the roofing in the 'what are you working on' thread as soon as its complete. might throw in a couple torch-bearing bronze statues in front too :D

• 5 weeks later...

I feel there's a lack of textures for half-timbered house exteriors. I think they look beautiful, and it would be nice to have more variety of pattern and colour.

I'm also having loads of trouble creating believable building exteriors in general. Are there any tutorials anywhere, or advice you can give, to make houses look fairly professional with as little effort as possible using simple geometry?

:) I'd be very grateful.

white painted wood. the type that flakes and has lengthy cracks like its been standing in the sun every day for 10 years. you know why ^_^

That was already 95% done, but I'll add some aging to it - ETA: 3-4 days, Uni work ;/

I feel there's a lack of textures for half-timbered house exteriors. I think they look beautiful, and it would be nice to have more variety of pattern and colour.

I have some source art for wood/plaster tudor exteriors, however most of them share very little in common - If I could get a set of 3-4 elements, different wall sections, dense woodwork etc; that would help greatly but I'll have to dig around the net later and look. If you could give me an example of what you think is missing I'd be happy to look for similar.

latticeb_th.jpg

Normal map needs some work, but am I on the right path?

yes! the crossing pieces look nice and overlapped. btw is the color accurate or did you put it under a yellowy light? Also, i'm not sure if a nail is really necessary at every junction, looks a little weird, but only when looking up close. thanks for your work on this!

I think in the future, maybe we should implement other repetitive TDM model resources as similar decals, like the black iron fencing and things like that

yes! the crossing pieces look nice and overlapped. btw is the color accurate or did you put it under a yellowy light? Also, i'm not sure if a nail is really necessary at every junction, looks a little weird, but only when looking up close. thanks for your work on this!

I think in the future, maybe we should implement other repetitive TDM model resources as similar decals, like the black iron fencing and things like that

The lighting is yellow, I'll drop the nail count in half (and add normals for them), roughen up the normal map sliiiightly.

There are a few fence (or maybe just one) decals, but we really could do with a few more variations. I'll look into it.

Are there any wiki links to things to break the map-maker's version of writer's block? I have the main story set for my FM, the 'hub' area practically completed, and I've started basic work on the parts that hinge off the hub, but I find myself highly demotivated, unable to bring myself to even add fluff to the map, let alone continue creating sections.

Perhaps a section on motivation generating techniques, or roadblock breaking techniques?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Bumping this because I need ideas!

Textures for mechanical stuff are still sorely missing - walls with dials, fine meshes, rusted sheets for machinery, gratings... Some of these would have to be objects, but there is a lot of room for textures. The other one is trims and more trims, especially for building exteriors.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Are there any wiki links to things to break the map-maker's version of writer's block? I have the main story set for my FM, the 'hub' area practically completed, and I've started basic work on the parts that hinge off the hub, but I find myself highly demotivated, unable to bring myself to even add fluff to the map, let alone continue creating sections.

Perhaps a section on motivation generating techniques, or roadblock breaking techniques?

I can only suggest you stir the tank by search the net for related material. For instance, if you need an alley, sewer, baker's shop, etc. then search for old pictures and information of streets and houses and sewers, etc.. You might find something that triggers an idea in your head. It might not even be to do with what you found on the net. But browsing works the brain and can trigger new ideas to flow.

This thread at TTLG is as good a place as any for inspiration.

I have some source art for wood/plaster tudor exteriors, however most of them share very little in common - If I could get a set of 3-4 elements, different wall sections, dense woodwork etc; that would help greatly but I'll have to dig around the net later and look. If you could give me an example of what you think is missing I'd be happy to look for similar.

I'll have a look soon. Finding it hard to give examples because what I have in mind is pretty generic. White or orange plaster with dark wooden beams in varying patterns.

I should learn to do this myself in GIMP but I pull my hair out trying to use it.