The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.5.0 pre-release sanity check

greebo

hi greebo,

well there are many particles, but I'll mention some of them.

from tdm;

tdm_archlight.prt

tdm_fire_3_candles_glare.prt

tdm_fire_candle.prt

tdm_fire_candle_02.prt

tdm_fire_candle_glare.prt don't shown in DR.

from doom3;

admin_hallburst.prt doesn't shown in DR.

I tried buttons reload particle, zoom in/out, play, stop, show wireframe(it doesn't show either) didn't change the result. These particles work in game without any problem.

If you need some to compare, tdm_fire_flames set all shown fine in DR.

btw, my graphic card is Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Particle viewer? I am so there! B) Today will be a perfect opportunity to test it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

well there are many particles, but I'll mention some of them.

You're right, the arclight one should be rendered, from what I see. Note that not all shaders (materials) are properly supported by DarkRadiant's renderer, like the materials with complicated scale and translate keywords, but the arclight shader should be visible.

I'm already moving on towards other projects, so maybe this won't be fixed for DR 1.5.0, no promises.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to ask a few volunteers to check out a new pre-release build of DarkRadiant 1.5.0. The linked pre10 packages below were built in the most recent VC++ 2010 (all previous public builds were VC++ 2008 ones), basically I need feedback whether this runs at all on your systems or if it's crashing after two and a half seconds.

Note: to run this DarkRadiant build, the VC++ 2010 Redistributable Package must be installed on your end, otherwise it's very unlikely to work.

VC++ 2010 Redist 32 Bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=A7B7A05E-6DE6-4D3A-A423-37BF0912DB84&displaylang=en

VC++ 2010 Redist 64 Bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=bd512d9e-43c8-4655-81bf-9350143d5867

DarkRadiant 1.5.0pre10 32 Bit: http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.5.0pre10.exe

DarkRadiant 1.5.0pre10 64 Bit: http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.5.0pre10.x64.exe

Now it's working here too, strange, must have been something with the server or my connection (maybe thats why previous download was way faster than now, i did check the size of earlier file and it was same )

well let's start it up.

Edit:

Wow, this is just WOW! from the last version i used (1.4.0) this is a VAST improvement, i dont know what you did with this but its like 3 times faster, it's far more representative of what will be ingame, even the lineworks look clearer. Hope it wont crash :D

The only thing i miss is the Axis constrains in default mode (resize). It only appears in translate, I think it was convenient to have it there so brushes could be rapidly moved,resized,doubled,moved etc precisely. Is there a way to turn it back on?

Edited by _Atti_

The only thing i miss is the Axis constrains in default mode (resize). It only appears in translate, I think it was convenient to have it there so brushes could be rapidly moved,resized,doubled,moved etc precisely. Is there a way to turn it back on?

afaict using the resize tool to resize was never axis constrained. it was constrained by the angle of the edges. However, if you try to resize with more than 1 object selected, things tend to get moved weirdly if your mouse cursor deviates any amount of grid units away from the axis you are dragging on, which is why I generally use translate as my all-purpose tool.

Where is the particle previewer? I can't see it on any menu or in the particle selector with func_emitter.

You'll need to select the "model" key in the Entity Inspector, then you can choose "Choose Particle..." in the lower half.

I assume everybody of you had to install the VC++ 2010 redistributable package before DR was able to run?

afaict using the resize tool to resize was never axis constrained. it was constrained by the angle of the edges. However, if you try to resize with more than 1 object selected, things tend to get moved weirdly if your mouse cursor deviates any amount of grid units away from the axis you are dragging on, which is why I generally use translate as my all-purpose tool.

I didnt mean that the resize tool was axis constrained while resizing but when moving objects around in it.

You could : create a brush (resize mode)

resize it

grab it by an axis and move it(constraint to it)

resize it again

move it constraint

without switching modes, and not have to look at that ugly cianide square in the middle , just the axis with its small convienient arrows. I know shift+move still does it but i find it really unpredictable and unprecise.

Yes that was the first thing I tried but there is no option to preview, just the normal list. Anyone else see that?

I'm almost sure that your installation is not up to date. Can you show me the contents of the modules/ folder? What version number is shown in the About dialog?

I'm almost sure that your installation is not up to date. Can you show me the contents of the modules/ folder? What version number is shown in the About dialog?

Ah! it's 1.3.2 but I downloaded and ran the new update and it installed normally. I'll try it again.

I'm always getting a crash on exit even if I just open DR then close it.

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name:	BEX64
 Application Name:	darkradiant.exe
 Application Version:	0.0.0.0
 Application Timestamp:	4cfa9070
 Fault Module Name:	eventmanager.dll_unloaded
 Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
 Fault Module Timestamp:	4cfa8daa
 Exception Offset:	00000000031d6030
 Exception Code:	c0000005
 Exception Data:	0000000000000008
 OS Version:	6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
 Locale ID:	2057
 Additional Information 1:	8538
 Additional Information 2:	9338497ce18af511c33a8d0d24852155
 Additional Information 3:	5377
 Additional Information 4:	70bac1d4e054535ada04984868d77b8c

Does it test for the VC++ install? I'm just wondering if I needed to reboot after installing that but before installing DR which might explain why it seemed to install but didn't last night but did install OK this morning.

I cannot do that, as the DarkRadiant.exe won't even load without these dependencies. DR's code will never be executed if the side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

I'm always getting a crash on exit even if I just open DR then close it.

Sounds similar to what Bikerdude was reporting recently. I doubt I can spot that without a remote debugging session, which will require setting up some permission on your end, and a fresh compile to ensure that all the debug symbols on my local machine are matching the binaries on your remote system. We can do that maybe next weekend, either with you or Bikerdude?

I haven't installed VC++ 2010 Redist, but 2008 version is already installed on my computer(64bit win7 ultimate). I tested vers. 1.4.1 and didn't get any crash. However, in the previous release I have encountered with crashes on exiting DR rarely. Since it doesn't cost any loss on data, it's not a serious matter for me. :)

A question: In newer releases, when I split brushes with clipper tool, touching surfaces become caulk(for preventing z-fight or improving performance?). I simply hate it. Is there any way to disable it?

Edited by SiyahParsomen

A question: In newer releases, when I split brushes with clipper tool, touching surfaces become caulk(for preventing z-fight or improving performance?). I simply hate it. Is there any way to disable it?

Yes, there's an option in the Preferences dialog.