The Dark Mod Forums

Damaged .map files

Garreth

Pc crashed used retrieval software to get the maps back some dont load at all other load fine till a certain entity, then i get the message

Failed on entity 656

DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required "{", found "

This means that some accolade has been changed into a comma?

I am not even sure if it is damaged at all i made a new map start and somethimes the shaders are black instead of the blue no shader blocks.

And i do not seem to have the my document files.

Can someone check and or fix..

It is quite some work if i start over.

This one is the latest also the best but even fails to load nothing happens

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mlnnmzi2n3wbss2/raccoon_autosave.map

This one gives the loading bar but... error

http://www.mediafire.com/file/epelds61n12ioez/GarethMerged.map

I can start over but it hurts to much to let go plus i had the outlining of the resident evil mansion done with some rooms completly done, into detail, i cannot bring myself to do all that again.

If things need to be deleted to make it work plz do, i read about ppl going into the map with a text editor and deleting corrupt lines with hand also the console gives world spawn error on all of the errored maps, if i am right then it cannot render anything since the map has no starting position.

I sure hope it is not fubr

Taf you, you taffin taffer

I looked at the second map first.

It's corrupted. It looks like an extra block of data was added to the end of the file. A number of entities, starting with #250 appear well after entity #655. There's garbage in between.

I cut off the garbage and the extra entities and the map loads fine in DR. It won't build w/dmap because it appears the entire map is open to the void (no enclosing walls). I hope that's what you expect.

You can find the edited map here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nog61oaij65dleb

along with an extra *.txt file showing the extra entities that I cut off, in case they're important in some way. Note that the last of these entities is cut off mid-line.

Hope that helps.

I'll look at the first map now.

You saved it Ty rolleyes.gif

And yes dude this is the map you merged only if i had put the texture lock on back then, i guess if i move the house around i can get all textures to fall back in place.

first thing tomorrow build build build laugh.gif

and again TY i will pay you guys back with a nice gaming experience.

Edited by Garreth

You saved it Ty rolleyes.gif

Man i thought i was gona have to do all that again now i can repair the mansion and get back going tyvm all for looking i will pay you guy's back with a nice map wink.gif

Good, glad it helped.

Looking forward to the mission.

Nice and promising work indeed! But looks like you do not have any AI's there and your lighting seems to be very simple, if I saw correctly.

When you have multiple AI's patrolling about (you certainly will in such a big place) and dramatic lighting, that scene might get choppy. Luckily you can then set "noshadows 1" on the chairs, or even remove the chairs and replace them with more simple brushwork pews to gain performance.

But that is only if the scene turns out choppy when you populate with game-stuff. I am a bit worried, though, because that area looks really, really difficult to visportallize.. You might need to close up some areas in the end, but hopefully I am mistaken.

If you're up to it, I'd love to know what console command "r_showprimitives 1" tells you when you're in a position where maximum amount of the scene is visible. Just for curiosity how much tris you get with that kind of amount of seats.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

tris 554227

shdw 248677

image 184.3 mb

yeah the npc's will mess it up so il keep it just a 3 singers 7 spectators 1 wanderer 1 king and 3 guards

Total of 15 must be doable

The lighting i do at the end non overlapping

But sound should be a 5 songs atleast all that together will be a lil laggy but still playable i hope.

tris 554227

shdw 248677

image 184.3 mb

yeah the npc's will mess it up so il keep it just a 3 singers 7 spectators 1 wanderer 1 king and 3 guards

Total of 15 must be doable

The lighting i do at the end non overlapping

But sound should be a 5 songs atleast all that together will be a lil laggy but still playable i hope.

Yikes.. That sounds like a hell-of-a-lot of tris there. And you're gonna add 15 AI's? Yep, the chairs gotta go or it is a one-way ticket to choppy-choppy land..:( And you need to do some heroic visportallization.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The architecture is completely finished but if you can pass me the arc, i can fit it in, i will mention your name on the end credits smile.gif

what is the brown texture in the arc?

LOL that's not a good sign, that's a visportal texture.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

You can save Vis til the end (though I wouldn't recommend it), but you HAVE to understand it first, other wise it most likely will not work. Unless you are very lucky, in which case you are probably a millionaire, have a model wife, a nice collection of cars, a mansion...why are your making TDM maps again? lol.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 3 weeks later...

laugh.gif Havent learned that yet laugh.gif

To busy building, i thought i would just drag out the portals later...

Very bad idea, I had to abandon my first map because of it, rearranging it for portals would have taken a lot of effort, and required a complete overhaul of the entire map. Maybe swap the chairs for benches, and shrink it down by 1-2 rows? Either way without portals, it's not going to be pretty when you put those AI in, unless you can drastically dumb them down and up the fps. Otherwise, I was very impressed with the video :D

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080