The Dark Mod Forums

Seasons Constest Preliminary

nbohr1more

Butterflies and Zebras! Half-way there... on both counts.

Wow. There are all kinds of things yet to be discovered in TDM.

I was sorta joking around there; though I would seriously love to see some insects and such.

Or do I make it a 'non-flying creature'. ie: it's just like a rat, except it's always in the air, it is basically walking on the ground, but looks like it's floating. Collision might be weird.

I'd think this would possibly be plenty cool enough as long as the flight is sufficiently and tweakedly 3D (moving in the x, the y and the z; but less so in the x).

Would it be possible to have it not bother with collisions? And only pay attention to extents? These are just meant to be (IMNHO) just fluttering little tiny beasties.

Now if you were to really go for a proper flying/roosting, colliding/substantial beast, it's got to be a raven/crow/TDMWorldFacsimileOfSuch...

Edited by Aprilsister

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if you were to really go for a proper flying/roosting, colliding/substantial beast, it's got to be a raven/crow/TDMWorldFacsimileOfSuch...

There is actually supposed to be a raven hidden somewhere as well, though I don't think it had any animations or even were animatable at all.

Yes, I've had a half-finished raven on the backburner for a while. It just needs a to be rigged properly...the skeleton I tried to make last year is pure crap, and I've had no time to go back and try to learn it since.

So I guess the team should answer, finish it like a rat?

Finish it like a butterfly.

* Take off

* predict path in 3D (just to some short trace and see if anything would collide, if not go on, if yet, choose randomly other path)

* repeat repeat repeat

* land on some flat/notsoflat surface (do short trace, if what we hit is flat, try to land there)

If player comes near, go to take off.

It doesn't need navigation, nor AAS, it doesn't even need the AI framework, it can just be a "pseudo-static" entity that is animated (rebuilds its model 20 times a second because after all it consists of 4 tris) and it just needs a randomized flight path and go on an on.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, I think doing it the rat way is best:

1- it will work on rat code. ie: random pathing. random anims too, one could be flapping, one could be flapping and rising then back to level..

The only issue is anims get huge quick. So flapping is like 10 frames, super small. But flapping and going up/down requires a full anim (300 frames) like landing on flower anim is.

And they don't have top land/take off anyway. That would just be a cool anim to make them more realistic. It would just require someone to program an anim array.

take off or flap wings (more like slowly move wings), if take off> flap wings at end of takeoff anim height while pathfinding> continue flap wings flight or land anim> if flap wings go to flap wings, if land anim> goto start> move wings or takeoff>...

Probably best as it really doesn't need collision (does for pathfind, but not for player). Having the rats player avoidance should take care of that anyway. The only odd thing would be swinging sword/arrows through butterfly. And really, that would be a tough target anyway.

2-Does anyone know how to make a model trace and land even slightly accurately?

A land anim might be large file, but it would always land correctly on whatever surface it is 'walking on'.

3- no need to 'rebuild a model', if you mean cycling models or whatever (like T2 rats). A simple flap anim would be super smal and take seconds to make. But again, can someone program it (or have time to) to make it land, and navigate?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

All that pathfinding and animation seems kind of overkill for an insect smaller than a playing card, doesn't it?

All that pathfinding and animation seems kind of overkill for an insect smaller than a playing card, doesn't it? You'd barely even be able to see it from across a room.

Well using rats pathfinding is a way to keep anims very small. It could be only a flight anim which could be as simple as flapping wings, or flapping wings with some up/down movement. Literally 1 anim. and it would look greta to have a couple of them fluttering about a garden randomly.

If there's a better way... I just don't know of one or know if anyone could program it.

Using the rat base, I could basically get it working very quickly. Who knows how long coding could take.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

3- no need to 'rebuild a model', if you mean cycling models or whatever (like T2 rats). A simple flap anim would be super smal and take seconds to make. But again, can someone program it (or have time to) to make it land, and navigate?

Well, if you make a flapping butterfly anim, I can script it to take off, fly and land by cycling through the anims :)

Having an anim is of course easier (because you can just interchange the model+anim for a songbird :), and it also needs no extra code. I was just saying it all you want a butterfly, the code to build a model dynamicylly from 4 tris is super-easy. (just look at brittlefractures, the engine just builds the entire thing on-the-fly :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I guess that is supposed to mean that he is of the same opinion as Lemony or wants to ask the same question. By the way, I think one can understand Shadowhide a lot better most of the time than you with your awkward wording and sentences stretching over 10 lines. The faulty punctuation doesn't make it any easier as well... ;)