The Dark Mod Forums

New Kid on the Block

RobertGibson

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi. I just downloaded the Dark Mod and started playing recently. I am a big fan of the original Dark Project series, especially the second installment. I am very excited to have found an open source project that attempts to emulate the atmosphere and gameplay of the Thief games. Right now I am just fiddling around with various downloadable missions. It's been a fun ride so far and I might be interested in trying to create some missions myself. Or get involved with some work on the mod itself. I don't know yet, but I sure am excited.

Cheers,

Robert

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi. I just downloaded the Dark Mod and started playing recently. I am a big fan of the original Dark Project series, especially the second installment. I am very excited to have found an open source project that attempts to emulate the atmosphere and gameplay of the Thief games. Right now I am just fiddling around with various downloadable missions. It's been a fun ride so far and I might be interested in trying to create some missions myself. Or get involved with some work on the mod itself. I don't know yet, but I sure am excited.

Cheers,

Robert

Most excellent! Welcome aboard! Be sure to check the season contest entries. You still have a little amount of time to vote for your favourites before the time tuns out! (August 20.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Welcome aboard :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Welcome - please come and share your ideas. =3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome. I hope I will have something useful to contribute in the future. I am definitely going to tackle that introductional tutorial. But first I shall do some more gaming. By the way, are there any recommendations/must play levels for the Dark Mod?

Here's some list, mainly according to my own preference:

If you want longer missions, I'd start with Builder's Influence and A Score To Settle.

They might be difficult for entry level missions though, but they are definately in the shining top of all the missions. They are excellent in all the fields of gamplay, appearance and story.

Small good starter missions (appetizers) are

Somewhere above the city, Thieves and Trapped.

They are short, concise and excellent.

After you have some experience, you should try Fidcal's missions. They are very good as well, but it is easy to get stuck in those, so be extra alert and pay attention in those missions for maximum enjoyment.

If you want to have campaign-like experience, be sure to play No Honor Among Thieves or Thieve's Den series. (Blatant self-advertisement alert!)You might also want to try my Thomas Porter series, but be sure to play it in order: Mandrasola, Knighton's, Beleaguered, Glenham and Transaction. They'll be made eventually into a full campaign, but that will take a long time (a year or two). I gotta make 2-4 more missions first...

If you look for gorgeous missions try anything by Bikerdude or Melan. Jesps makes missions that all well rounded in playability and appearance, but also extremely well performing. Flakebridge Monastery is one of the most atmospheric missions around.

Yep, there are lots of good missions out there, but there are of course some below averages as well. You might want to check the Fan Missions thread mission polls to get a feeling which missions are well liked and which are not.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

By the way, are there any recommendations/must play levels for the Dark Mod?

I'd recommend starting with the smaller, simple missions like Too Late, The Parcel, and The Outpost. They're all great ways to learn the basics.

Yes, I too recommend The Outpost - I tried The Glenham Tower initially but it's a linear action level (a VERY good one) but not the best for grasping the basic mechanics.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder : where is all those newbies who creating threads dedicated to themselves ?

RobertGibson

Last Active:

Aug 19 2011 11:10 AM

(and i'm sure,he wont be logged in ever)

maybe those guys are some kind of advanced spambots or whatever

If this was the case you should just let the thread die rather than bumping it.