Rage

Shadowhide

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've played it?

yes

its monotonous and linear shooter with boring missions and sucking universe (another post-apocalypse world...)

Rage remind me of Dead Island. same shit different universe

Graphic is boring.Textures looks boring and details that should be the real pieces of geometry is just painted on a texture

Game size is bigger than my dick.23 GB's !!! 15Gb's is a textures

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

This game puts me in a difficult position. On one hand, I want to buy it and support id. This is because id has done more for the PC gaming community than any other game developer has or probably ever will do. Releasing their source code to the hardcore fans is greatly appreciated for all the usual reasons.

On the other hand, RAGE requires Steam. I don't want to support that. I guess I'll have to wait to see if a Linux version of this game ever does come out. I've also been considering just sending Carmack a check when the Doom 3 source code is released to say thanks.

In the past, I have always bought id games, but my tolerance for industry BS has worn thin due to other companies who only take my money and run, leaving me with deliberately sabotaged products a decade later.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I'm waiting until I get a new PC to give this game a go. It looks really fun from what I've seen on youtube.

Graphic is boring.Textures looks boring and details that should be the real pieces of geometry is just painted on a texture

I'm not sure you played the right game. Rage looks amazing from what I've seen.

Even Carmack admitted a wile ago that the textures weren't going to look so detailed when you get right up close to them.

One thing I've learned today though is that (if I ever release software), I had better make sure it is almost bug free the day I ship it. Just look at the massive amount of 1-star reviews that this game has gotten over the past few days purely due to the bugs... ouch

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

A lot of posters are over reacting in those 1 star reviews. Of course it sucks that the game doesn't work properly right out of the gate but that has always been the way in PC gaming. What makes matters worse though is that not only do people have to contend with game bugs, but they also have to suffer the shoddy OpenGL driver support by card manufacturers. Hopefully the uproar will motivate the card manufacturers to clean up their act and put out some good OpenGl drivers. A lot of the same kinds of crap happened when Doom 3 was released.

For ATI, it seems that the latest drivers had toothing issues as they were getting ready to introduce OpenGL 4.2.

http://support.amd.c...L42BetaWin.aspx

Someone reported that they were able to run RAGE without too much problems on their HD4xxx series card when they regressed to Catalyst 11.6.

So it seems that both ATI and Nvidia were doing some last minute monkeying with OpenGL to beat each other to 4.2 compliance and RAGE was the victim of those changes.

Nothing like making your video card "compliant" with a standard that "NO COMMERCIAL GAME USES YET" at the expense of screwing-over a rare AAA title release for OpenGL. I guess Unity must have some new benchmarks in the works or something for 4.2. God forbid they pay attention to an actual commercial game release for OpenGL rather than another Benchmark suite... :rolleyes:

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I won't get the chance to play this for a while even though I pre-ordered (part of a publisher sale on Steam), but if you're concerned about the graphics then read this: http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

Unsurprisingly, to unlock the full potential of the game will require a LOT of vram according to this article, I guess I'll be getting a lot of texture pop-in with my 384MB 8800 GTS sad.gif. I'd be interested in finding out what people's opinions are of the graphics + gameplay are (apart from Shadowhide, who has already provided a colourful verdict), whether you've got a high end or low end system.

SH probably played a pirated copy, as the Russian underground market is among the first world-wide to receive new software. I wouldn't be surprised if his version were pre-beta or something like that. *If* he's actually telling the truth.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Nothing like making your video card "compliant" with a standard that "NO COMMERCIAL GAME USES YET" at the expense of screwing-over a rare AAA title release for OpenGL.

I can't comment specifically on OpenGL 4.2, but people often forget that OpenGL isn't just for games. Probably no commercial game needs to use 32-bit float textures for example, but it is very important for professional VFX applications.

I'm using an NVidia GTS 250 with 1GB of vram and I get a little bit of texture popping. It's most noticeable when you're standing still and moving the mouse quickly or when you first load an area. When your moving about it rarely happens.

The gameplay is good. The weapons are powerful. The AI movement is hard to predict. The combat is fast paced and satisfying. The racing can be fun but it's not very challenging.

I will agree that the story is pretty weak. I'm not sure the game is worth $60 but if you're an FPS fan you can't go wrong picking it up when it's on sale.

SH probably played a pirated copy, as the Russian underground market is among the first world-wide to receive new software. I wouldn't be surprised if his version were pre-beta or something like that. *If* he's actually telling the truth.

there is no betas or pre-betas of Rage

I playing the english Steam version of game

dont ever insult me

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

As mentioned a few times earlier: Yes the texture popping is a real eye-sore sometimes. I didn't think it would be that noticeable but I was actually kinda shocked, experiencing it first hand earlier today.

My graphics card is low on vram with about 512 megs, so the texture streaming routine is bound to pump my card full of stuff every second. But the thing is, it's not that noticeable when just walking around or driving a vehicle. But whipping my camera view back and forth turns the screen into an ungainly pulp for a few seconds before it re-streams the textures...

But man is this game pretty when you're just enjoying the sights. I understand the argument being made against the somewhat low resolution on some items in the world, but goddamn it, I don't feel anyone is required to sit face in the monitor and examine pixels... Well. Unless someone has a ridiculous screen resolution.

Also the FPS is amazing, runs solid on my computer so I'm very, very impressed with their work on that end.

Edit: Crap, forgot to mention the gameplay. It's an ID FPS. 'Nuff said. ;D (I love ID's FPSs)

Edited by GameDevGoro

this game sucks

Id cant do games.Quake 1 was their best game

a race !

this game is even worse than i thought

Wow. You've just now determined that there are races in RAGE? I thought you had actually played the game; evidently, you lied to us above. <_<

Shadowhide, your so-damned-precious Quake 1 was created and designed by a very small group including John Carmack, Tim Willits, and Kevin Cloud. These three people are still Lead Programmer, Creative Director, and Lead Artist at id Software.

Right now, your impressions of RAGE are alike to an 11-year-old's temper tantrums. I expect better out of you.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Oh dear yet another game I will NOT buy then, or if I do I will be getting the crack for it to bypass that shit.

I agree 2: the revenge! :-D

It's a shame that you buy something and YOU even cannot play/use it AS YOU WANT. The only thing to do with these protections (in example like the remote activation that's the worse protection ever) it's to BOICOTT this shit, IMHO.

Wow. You've just now determined that there are races in RAGE? I thought you had actually played the game; evidently, you lied to us above. dry.gif

Shadowhide, your so-damned-precious Quake 1 was created and designed by a very small group including John Carmack, Tim Willits, and Kevin Cloud. These three people are still Lead Programmer, Creative Director, and Lead Artist at id Software.

Right now, your impressions of RAGE are alike to an 11-year-old's temper tantrums. I expect better out of you.

what ? races is isnt at start of the game ! I've spent few hours to complete a few dumb missions before them.I'm always playing the game before rate it

and ? their games went to shit since Quake 1 and dont matter how good programmers they are

btw,I think there is no dynamic light and they are using lightmaps

apart from gameplay,graphics and technologies looks retarded

btw,i found a nice gif :

tumblr_lkwco0nrsS1qgfui9o1_400.gif

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

and ? their games went to shit since Quake 1

As much as I hate to say it, I kinda have to agree here. I played Q2 only once, because I thought the graphics was ridiculous even when the game was fresh out. Remember the explosions? Orange translucent balls FTW! :D Also, I found the story to be quite lame. That being said, the "story" of Q1 was not worth mentioning, too. Still, I still know each and every Q1 map by heart.

I hated Q3, while I absolutely love Q4 (and still can't understand why it failed). I thought it to be better than D3, which I rate as okay-ish (I hate out-of-the-blue spawning monsters).

My main beef with Rage is that when you buy the German version, you only get to play it in German. There is no fall-back to English, as most other games offer. Also, the bugs (texture-streaming, anyone?) are so severe that I have no idea how this game could ever pass the QC department (if there actually is one).

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.