The Dark Mod Forums

Suddenly, he throws a rock.

Professor Paul1290

This isn't really broken, but the AI's rock throwing behavior is occasionally quite hilarious.

I remember in one mission a guard wandered into a room to look for the source of a sound I made and I was standing on top of a bed. He looked in my direction with a blank expression and I thought he couldn't see me. Suddenly, he throws a rock.

Another time was playing while someone else was watching, and another guard was chased me into an elevator. I got to the elevator and pressed the button to make it ascend. As soon as the elevator started going up the guard stops and watches the elevator rise out of his reach. "Oh good, he can't catch me now!" I said. Suddenly, as the gap between the ceiling and the elevator floor was closing, the guard throws a rock right through the gap with the utmost precision hits me at the last second. "Oh goddammit I forgot they could do that!". My friend almost keeled over laughing.

The first one sounds like the bed was covered by monsterclip, so the AI couldn't get there. The second one sounds pretty believable to me. :)

Rock behaviour may not be perfect, but it's much better than the old Thief "fist shaking". "Hey, come down off that bed you!"

• Like 2

And the unlimited supply of rocks that AI can throw at you come from a parallel universe the AI reaches into to fetch a rock. It's the same parallel universe where the player stores all his mines, flashmines, arrows, stolen paintings, gold, purses, scepters, lantern, spyglass, health potions, etc.

Greebo coded the ability to select from a random list of things to throw...any suggestions? Would it be better or worse if the AI threw random, varied things?

Don't cheat when playing cards with the elite guards! :laugh:

Greebo coded the ability to select from a random list of things to throw...any suggestions? Would it be better or worse if the AI threw random, varied things?

It would be nice, but it might look silly with certain objects. Unless they pick things up, anything they throw will look like it's coming out of their pockets. Rocks seem right because they can fit in pockets.

I'd think anything else they throw repeatedly would also have to be things that are often thought of as "pocket-able". Common bits of metal like screws and bolts come to mind, and perhaps even some eating utensils like knives or forks.

I think small bottles and such could work if they threw them the first time or two then reverted back to rocks or something else smaller to avoid looking odd.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

I still have the old bottle projectile that I could add back in, as well as things like cutlery. I'll add that task to my list of things to do.

I think it would add variety, but its hard to see what else than rocks and bottles they should throw.

One nice thing would be when they fetched things from nearby tables and did throw them at you. Most missions don't include enough moveables, tho. However, a compromise would be when they want to throw a rock, they first kneel down and pick on up. (might look silly on a wood floor, tho :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Sillier in a lot of cases. There is always a justification for rocks.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm sorry but when I read this title, the first thing that came to mind was "How can she slap?!?!"..... too much internets for me :(

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I remember the throwing bottles and I must say that the rocks are far better than the bottles. Maybe there are some situations where the rocks don't fit quiet good, but I wouldn't put any efford on changing this system as it works good mostly. There are other things with more priority I would say :mellow:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager