The Dark Mod Forums

Game Dev/Pubs - taking the piss

Bikerdude

God damn corporations that make good games! lol

I agree with everything said here but, just to add another point of view... This kind of mentality that we despise so much, greedy, that exploits people who love videogames for profit, is exactly the mentality that allowed games like Mass Effect to exist. Before throwing stones at me, think about it for a second, it makes sense.

I know

aed388d2d067e8e85a3aaae49f6c5450-d4usqhc.jpg1a95e36ffb9de8b2bd058873e317fbb6-d4v12og.jpg

commission__family_moment_by_kagarbett-d4xjeee.jpg

a_toy_by_ersbethshadowsong-d534li7.jpg

commission_garrus_x_shepp_by_eudetenis-d4xy1of.jpg

commission__adopting_family_by_rossilyn-d52ln4j.png

family_by_sammi_chan71914-d4vrp9z.png

family_v2_by_sammi_chan71914-d4vzn6d.png

gift_art__upsies__by_kagarbett-d50jg33.jpg

human_turian_baby___work_in_progress_by_angles_and_bones-d4zdqrd.jpg

I don't know why so many people dislike Activision. They have never screwed me over or done anything horrible to my knowledge.

A lot of companies keep pushing a franchise until the "wheels fall off" so to speak. That doesn't bother me at all; I would do the same thing in their position. How many Tony Hawk games did we end up with? I wonder how many CoDs they will make before retiring the franchise?

http://www.gamesradar.com/exactly-how-many-studios-has-activision-closed-generation-exactly-many/

Sorry, but with the exception of sierra and bizzare, all the other compagnies never added anything worthwise for me... Guitar hero? lol

edit:

things like Mumbo Jumbo buying ritual entertainment and make it focus on "casual entertainment" is much worst than all what activision did...

Edited by elwing

Yeah that made me sad as well. Now we may never see a true successor to SiN.

After doing some research, I now understand why id and Activision went their separate ways.

Also, I never really took the time to think about all the developers that were closed down. For example, there's Raven. I played a lot of their games and appreciated most of them, though I never got into Hexen very much. I enjoyed the music, the artwork and the overall world, but the level design was too much for me. (having to travel between levels to solve riddles)

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For today's ****-up of the month, I present to you: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/719349-Missing-CD-Key-for-Rocksmith-PC-*LOOK-HERE*

Funniest thing I've seen so far this month. Now to go read the inevitable swarm of 1-star reviews on Amazon and laugh at the people.

personly I will never buy anything made my Ubisucks as long as there is a hole in my arse.

Thats so sad, when I think back of the days, they just made/published cool games like the real Rayman series (not the bunnies), Settlers or Beyond Good & Evil. But nowadays they only focus on annoying every remaining customer and saying bullshit, like: "Assassins Creed 3 will be the last giant project in game development history." Yea, sure, thats why you will release AC3.5, 3.8 and 4 in the next 3 years, right?

@Bikerdude: You are so often mentioning points I could complain about hours...

Edited by Radiant

Yeah, my gf is waiting for a non-Ubisoft Launcher version of Anno 2070. In the meantime, she continues to play Anno 1404.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

The trouble with Ubisoft is, many of their games are actually quite good. For example Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was one of my favorites. The sound was amazing, as were the graphics and AI. Guards could wake eachother up, they would search together, they would kick doors open, you could do things like climb walls and drop down to knock them out, it had an advanced multiplayer mode including special co-op missions and on and on.

XIII was another great one as well. Way back in the day, my cousin had a bootleg copy of Splinter Cell CT. After I saw him playing it for a wile, I decided to get the PC version from a local retailer. After that, I stopped supporting Ubi.

• 4 months later...

Its been a wile since something as funny as this has occured. http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-Limited-Edition-Pc/product-reviews/B007FTE2VW/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

They're so concerned about people playing "unlicensed" versions of the game, that literally MASSES of honest users can not play it. I love to see this happening to "average Joes". The *really* funny part is that even though users are treated this way, they will always come back for more.

'the sims' had a sale on steam and getting all the parts for it in the sale would still set you back 180 pounds.

Another thing, if you wanted to buy the regular edition of deadspace 3 direct from EA it would cost you 60 pounds, from game.co.uk it costs 35 pounds for the special edition and 32 pounds for the regular edition. Special edition direct from EA not available.

Edited by stumpy

Same on Battlefield 3 which is 1.5 years old now. You find it half the price EA wants everywhere. I really wonder who is buying any game on Origin...

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 months later...

More lols...

"Please note that movies must be downloaded and played for at least 5 minutes before the service closes on the 21st June as playback from a download will not be possible beyond this date. Please also note that you may only retain a copy of the content on the personal computer/tablet on which you make the original download."

http://www.acetrax.c...c.aspx?type=FAQ

So what happens six months later if your motherboard goes bad?

(insert evil laughter here)

Edited by lost_soul

So what happens six months later if your motherboard goes bad?

I love it when i have to rebuild a PC and microsoft try the same bullshit, to which I reply "I had to replace the motherboard".... There were gonna try this crap with office 2013 untill the public got wind of it and told MS, in no uncertain terms to... FRO!

This is different though. Your movie files have to be "authenticated" to play on a given machine. In the past, you apparently had the ability to re-authenticate them on a new machine, but they're taking down the service now. Once they do that, you won't be able to authenticate... period.

This is a great idea actually. While it sturs up some controversy now, the film industry can keep legal trouble at bay by allowing you to re-authenticate one more time. Then, when your hardware fails later on, nobody with the ability to take legal action will care because this will be old news. The actual rights-holders can wash their hands of all responsibility while whistling and then start over.

Edited by lost_soul

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.techhive....-rent-them.html

This should be amusing. Apparently the publishers will have the ability to block you from reselling games, not MS. MS is just providing the technology for the publishers to do so (hardy har har). Also, your console WILL have to check in daily in order to keep playing games. If the servers are down for longer than that, or your Internet service gets interrupted and it takes a few days to be fixed, you'll be screwed.

Actually, this recently happened to me; my connection went out and it took a few days to be fixed. I was bored as hell, not having any Internet fragbait, so I played some single player games like TDM instead.

Notice how they don't mention what happens when they decide to eventually turn this off either. I'll stay far away from this system.

Edited by lost_soul