The Dark Mod Forums

BFG with shadow mapping perfect for trees and other alpha masked planes

Post scriptum: we have some D3BFG experts here so, please, can you tell us what's the "manifest file" needed to repack "resources" file?

Maybe it's eventually possible to port Wulfen and Monoxead texture packs :P

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Why is this +set fs_basegame mymod there? No need for that.

Just copy pasted a .bat from a doom 3 mod it had that command and BFG also has it i looked on the console what it does i don't know.

Toke it out made no difference still no playable map.

have you complied your map in another engine? if not, you have to compile your map in another engine and then copy the resultant map files ( *.cm, *.map, *.proc ) into your maps folder.

don't use the original "Doom3BFG.exe" download the last of the releases of RBDoom3BFG (in the first post of this thread)

Yes i did, and i have that files next to the original map as also a script file with the maps name, perhaps that is the culprit? It is a very simple script just creating a fog light attached to the player.

void setup_objects()
	{
		 entity foglight;  //creates a new entity
		 foglight = sys.spawn( "light" );  //spawns light
		 foglight.setShader( "fogs/basicfog" ); //creates the foglight. replace blendlight with the name of your foglight/blendlight
		 foglight.setRadius( 16384 );  //sets the size of the foglight
		 foglight.bindPosition( $player1 );  //binds the foglight to the player
		 foglight.setOrigin( '0 0 0' );  //exact spot from the players current position
		 foglight.setLightParm( 3, 5000 );  //shaderParm3; 250 is the density of the fog
		 //color of the fog for the red, green and blue channel:
		 foglight.setLightParm(SHADERPARM_RED, 0.1);
		 foglight.setLightParm(SHADERPARM_GREEN, 0.1);
		 foglight.setLightParm(SHADERPARM_BLUE, 0.1);
	}
	void main ()
	{
		 setup_objects ();
	}

Post scriptum: we have some D3BFG experts here so, please, can you tell us what's the "manifest file" needed to repack "resources" file?

Vanilla BFG has a very nasty texture compressor (that you can't turn off afaik) that makes the textures look ugly so no matter if you use the Wulfen and Monoxead texture packs they will not look exactly like they do on the original Doom 3 engine. Don't know if this RB version improved that.

Edited by HMart

I don't need a perfect match with the original ones, just a (much needed) texture resolution upgrade :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

HMart are you using RBDoom3BFG ?

Yes

@HMart: Why don't you run a map without script first. Take baby steps to get bare map running, before dumping scripts on it.

I deleted the script and it didn't work, afaik the script is only creating at map start a fog light so if i delete it then it should not matter if the script is present or not. I will try making a simple test level but until now this has not give me any hope. Does materials in BFG also need to be different? I have a bunch of custom materials on this map.

I deleted the script and it didn't work, afaik the script is only creating at map start a fog light so if i delete it then it should not matter if the script is present or not. I will try making a simple test level but until now this has not give me any hope. Does materials in BFG also need to be different? I have a bunch of custom materials on this map.

No, materials are the same, unless you use some custom shaders. What error do you get in the console?

On my map above i don't see a error on the BFG console it just goes straight to the menu.

I did a small test map has you said and it worked, but only the brush geometry worked, all my custom lwo models were shown ingame has black boxes, will try importing one by one and see if they work instead of a bunch of them.

Btw to test the new shadow maps on alpha mapped surfaces i used the fence texture from Doom3 and it worked, but they were so soft and blurred that you almost couldn't see the fence pattern, if we add a way to control the shadow maps detail would be nice.

Anyone? :P

Edited by lowenz

Anyone? :P

YOu don't need to re-pack .resources to play texture mods. For once, BFG has no support for offset mapping, so none of the displacement maps will work with BFG out of the box. If original materials were edited to accommodate those mods' features, then you won't see any materials in-game.

All you need to do to mod BFG is to extract everything from resources, except sounds, and that's all you gotta do. Make a map for Doom 3, put it into some mod folder, run BFG with several cmd line parameters, load map file and off you go.

I wonder if you guys can get LordHavoc to help out with the TDM renderer. That guy did amazing things with Quake 1. With each update, he makes it run even faster!

I have a gut feeling LH will tell you no, and will recommend going with BFG engine instead. ARB shaders are atrocity that will not be supported eventually anyway by neither AMD nor Nvidia.

If TDM team has a strong desire to move to BFG engine, just wait until we release our fork to the public - fixed major bugs, ported all tools (and fixed them), improved renderer.

What fork are you working on again?

I have a gut feeling LH will tell you no, and will recommend going with BFG engine instead. ARB shaders are atrocity that will not be supported eventually anyway by neither AMD nor Nvidia.

If TDM team has a strong desire to move to BFG engine, just wait until we release our fork to the public - fixed major bugs, ported all tools (and fixed them), improved renderer.

No, I don't have any plans for now putting in shadow maps from RBDoom 3 BFG fork. The implementation requires to have 256bit VRAM (even then it's still slower than shadow volumes) and that's not cheap hardware. The only reason to go with shadow maps is deferred / forward+ (tiled) renderer, which will require a massive rewrite of the renderer. It's beneficial in a long run, but as it stands now, shadow volumes are fastest solution, provides quite decent look and allows for wide range of hardware to be played on.

I am hoping to make a video overview of what's been done to the engine so far, this weekend. I'll post link here when it's up.

I am hoping to make a video overview of what's been done to the engine so far, this weekend. I'll post link here when it's up.

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

So far I'm only able to get the 32 bit build working on my laptop. When I fire up the 64 bit executable it just pops up a vague error. No idea why since it's building successfully.

There is no benefit running 64bit build at all, unless collisions are fixed. Also, if there are no huge massive levels with tons of models and animations and 2048^2 and larger textures, there is no need in 64bit builds either.

If one decides going 64bit, it has to be 64bit exclusively and have that much of content per level that 32bit build can not handle.

TDM is a perfect candidate for 64 bit. A large complaint about the mod is crashes with malloc errors. We've been slowly increasing engine hardcoded limits over the years, but have had to scale back on some due to memory constraints.

On average I believe our textures are 4-8x larger then Doom3's stock textures. And we have more of them per level.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

When you run our of physical RAM, then you can think of 64bit. Otherwise all those limits are artificial. When TDM starts using more RAM than your 32bit system with 4Gb of RAM, then you can say TDM needs to go 64bit.

Doom 3 BFG engine uses YCoCg compression, so even with 2048x2048 textures it uses probably as much VRAM as original Doom 3 does, with almost identical quality (vanilla BFG has crappy encoder, which we fixed to provide the best quality possible using YCoCg scaled DXT5 compression; which is noticeably better than DXT5 used in Doom 3, and in many modern games).

I think i will wait for your version of the BFG engine to play with, because right now making anything with the vanilla BFG or with the RBDoom 3 version is totally frustrating, my lwo models don't work at all and any world geometry you make func_static becomes invisible in game even tho the collision still works, don't know why is so hard to make custom stuff to bfg if it works with the doom 3 assets directly.